My Life Changed a Week Ago — Assaulted by a Car Alarm

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Trav_44, Dec 9, 2019.

1. Trav_44

Trav_44 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/19
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Assaulted By a Car Alarm
      Hello everyone. A little more than week ago I foolishly helped the maintenance guy in my complex try and stop a car alarm that was going off. I was about a foot away from the alarm holding it down with a screwdriver but it would slip every once in a while. I wasn't exposed nearly as long as the other guy, hope he's alright. Bonus, I see the car every time I step out the door.

I found this site a day and a half later and set an appointment with ENT. They tried to set an appointment a month later so I explained what I read about prednisone and that this is pretty much an emergency and so I got in last Thursday. Audiogram said good hearing and no damage or wax buildup. The ENT did not want to do prednisone and said to come back in a month. I was stressed about taking it myself and it had already been close to a week since the noise trauma. Still don't know if that was the right decision and might make some calls in the morning. What are your thoughts?

As far as the tinnitus I might be lucky because it's at about 3 out of 10 and has fluctuated. I have been reading this forum almost non-stop and was hoping my first post would be in the success stories. I've actually had a few instances where I could barely hear a thing with my ears plugged. I've had some days where I couldn't hear it over the car, tv and general noise. That said, I've also been humbled and realized this very well could become part of my life. Sleep has been a major issue. I make my own schedule and can work from home so I spent most of the week here but yesterday I had to do an open house running on 3-4 hours of sleep the previous 2 nights and it was awful. The noise was probably still a 3-4 but my nerves were shot and it felt like a 7. I was absolutely fearing what last night would hold but I actually fell asleep without any melatonin (which I take regularly), think I passed out from exhaustion. With the full night of rest, today went really good for a while but the ringing set in about 2 hours ago.

My heart breaks for everyone dealing with this. I clearly underestimated what people meant by "my ears ring".

• Hug Hug x 3
      • Like Like x 1
    2. Allan Mcmillan

Allan Mcmillan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      April 30 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic shock from playing guitar with headphones
      My advice is to get either prednisone or intratympanic demexathone injections ASAP. My idiotic ENT from onset decided to tell me that "there's no treatment" when steroids should have been the first line of defense. That honestly could have saved me and alot of other people.

• Like Like x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Trav_44

Trav_44 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/19
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Assaulted By a Car Alarm
      Thanks for your input Allan. I'm reading as much as I can about it to make a decision. The side effects look harsh, I wish there was clear evidence that it worked. Maybe there is and I'm just not seeing it.

4. pinklights98
      No Mood

pinklights98 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Noise Exposure
      Yes, definitely get prednisone. Things you can try:

Steroid injections
      HBOT
      NAC & Magnesium

Don't plug your ears and check for it.

My tinnitus was also aggravated by a car alarm so I really feel for you.

• Like Like x 1
    5. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I think you will be ok. It might take 3-6 months, though. Also, make sure to avoid hurting your ears during this time of vulnerability.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    6. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      Now that you've come "to this side" you'll notice that what you describe is a pattern from people "on the other side": they'll tell you it's not a big deal, and that they themselves also hear ringing. They think they know. That is a big problem with this condition.

At any rate, there is a good chance that your T will fade in time. There is a short window to try and increase the chances of your recovery (as mentioned by other posters), so if I were in your shoes and I knew what T can bring, I'd use any possible option I could.

Good luck!

• Like Like x 2
    7. MRItechssuck
      Disappointed

MRItechssuck Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Severe 10/17/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise, MRI
      ENTs have no emergency protocol... it’s ridiculous. I had to get in a waiting list and got after three days.

Then the dude wasn’t “comfortable” giving prednisone for more than 3 days... and wouldn’t give a steroid shot.

The medical community is such a scam.

I went to 3 clinics and pieced together all their prednisone 5 day does packs to make my own regime... still didn’t help.

I fault the ATA again for not pressing ENTs... what a stupid title for an organization... they are less popular in a google search than the “American Trucking Association.” They are worthless.

• Like Like x 1
    8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Trav_44

Trav_44 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/19
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Assaulted By a Car Alarm

Thank you, I really can't get over the fact that a car alarm did this but I'm trying. I'm assuming the prednisone helped you a lot?

9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Trav_44

Trav_44 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/19
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Assaulted By a Car Alarm
      Thanks Bill, I've seen you're quite active here. What's your current opinion on steroids at roughly 10 days in?

10. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I've read about studies that say that steroids are useless after 48 hours. Other studies say that steroids can be useful for several weeks after the incident.
      I guess given how much is at stake, the possibility of side effects would not be enough to stop me from taking steroids. I would want to know that I did everything I could.
      But check out

11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Trav_44

Trav_44 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/19
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Assaulted By a Car Alarm

Thanks Greg, I'm definitely looking at all options. Wish there was a clear answer but guess everyone has to decide what to do for themselves. It's overwhelming to say the least.

12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Trav_44

Trav_44 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/19
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Assaulted By a Car Alarm

That's what I'm worried about. Taking it too late and to be honest a few of the side effects REALLY do not mix with me.

13. pinklights98
      No Mood

pinklights98 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Noise Exposure
      how long overall were you exposed?

14. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Trav_44

Trav_44 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/19
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Assaulted By a Car Alarm
      A couple minutes but the alarm wasn't going off the whole time.