My Miracle

Discussion in 'Support' started by tj99, Nov 19, 2017.

1. tj99

tj99 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      possibly triggered by a concert
      I've only posted a few times here but have read a lot. No, my T is not gone but I've read a lot about habituation and never really understood it or even thought it was a good thing. Ive only had T for less than 2 months and when it first started I thought my world was crashing down around me. I read about people who were thinking about suicide and thought is that going to be me? I was scared and nobody around me really understood what I was going through, except this site.

Reading that habitation took sometimes up to a year or more wasn't helping me. I prayed for God to heal me but that wasn't happening. Then I prayed for God to give me coping skills to somehow deal with it.

About 2 weeks ago, I don't know how, but it was like a switch flipped. I suddenly did not care about the T. I can hear it if I want to. It is no softer or louder than it ever was. It is about a 10k tone that seems to be in my head and sometimes left ear only. But I simply don't care about it anymore. It does not bother me in the slightest. I can study, which I couldn't before, workout, play guitar. I'm back to all the things I normally do.

So can you adapt to a high pitched T which at first sounds like torture? I did. And I think if I can, so can others, and I sincerely hope this gives some people on this site hope.

I think one of the keys for me was to quit hoping it was gone every time I wasn't hearing it. Because when I would hear it again it would send me back into despair. It's ringing away right now as I type in this quiet room, but does not bother me at all. That seemed inconceivable at the start.

INCONCEIVABLE! I even waited a couple of weeks to post this to see if this was some sort of temporary feeling. Whatever changed my state of mind on this I sincerely hope happens to you. I'm not sure I'll be posting again unless someone has questions for me which I'm not even sure I'll be able to answer other than to say God worked a miracle. Blessings to you all.

• Like x 6
      • Winner x 3
      • Agree x 1
      • Funny x 1
      • Optimistic x 1
    2. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      God bless you for writing such a reassuring post. You should make a copy post in the success stories forum for all to read. Your story relfects what many of the 'T veterans' have been saying. We need to give it time. Habituation will happen given time particularly we go back to living life and don't emotionally oppose the reality of living with T. The brain needs time to absorb in the alarming, alien T sensation. The limbic nervous system and the fight or flight mode was set initially to protect us from the new perceived danger. But over time new neural pathway or neuroplasticity will happen to lessen the severity of the T sensation, making it possible for the normal Parasympathetic nervous system to return, and the prefrontal cortex will take over processing the T stimuls from the Amygdala (which is the fight or flight center) and things become a lot more manageable, as the prefrontal cortex is responsible to suppress our fearful reaction to a stimulus especially if the stimulus is repetitive. Here is a nice article about the role of Amygdala and prefrontal cortex in fear suppression:

http://thebrain.mcgill.ca/flash/i/i_04/i_04_cr/i_04_cr_peu/i_04_cr_peu.html

The main message about this article is as below quoted:

Major connections to the the amygdala also come from the medial prefrontal cortex. These connections appear to be involved in the process of extinction, whereby a stimulus that triggers a conditioned fear gradually loses this effect. This happens if that stimulus is repeatedly presented to the subject without the unconditional nociceptive stimulus that was initially associated with it to produce the conditioned fear.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    3. Jazzer

Jazzer Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      1/1995
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise

4. Jazzer

Jazzer Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      1/1995
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      @tj99
      Pretty amazing story.
      So it seems that your acceptance and adaptation to “T” has done the trick.
      Well done. xx

5. obutterfly
      Surrender

obutterfly Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      probably Wellbutrin
      So glad to read your success story. My T started on October 8th. My response followed yours almost exactly. First, I felt like my life was over. Then, I wished it were over. I prayed and begged God to remove the noise and restore the quiet. Then I prayed for God to give me the ability to cope. I have not reached the place of acceptance you describe, but you give me hope. I try not to read all of the negative posts out there because my positivity is much too fragile. I really needed what you wrote, and I thank you so very much.

• Like Like x 1
    6. Luman
      Benevolent

Luman Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Intermittent Tinnitus probably noise induced
      @billie48 Thank you, that's a very good explanation of why many of us are are so emotionally affected by tinnitus, until habituation occurs.

7. threefirefour
      Peeping tom

threefirefour Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      5/15/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      140dB B R U H moment
      >God wouldn't heal me
      >God gave me the ability to deal with it
      A miracle. Sure. Of course. that's what that was. Yes.
      1448169753397.jpg