My Name Is Sandra Mink. I Have Tinnitus That Modulates and Grows Louder When Chewing and Talking

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Sandra Mink, Oct 26, 2017.

1. Sandra Mink

Sandra Mink Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure
      I have tinnitus that modulates when I talk and eat. Anyone know why that happens?

2. Tinker Bell

Tinker Bell Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL from virus
      Me too! Does your tinnitus fluctuate to other sounds? Mine gets louder in louder environments, but it particularly does not like running water, paper, or plastic.

My doctor said it’s a forum of hyperacusis. Some people call it reactive tinnitus because your tinnitus reacts to noise.

3. Carlyi
      Blah

Carlyi Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      TMJ
      Your T. is most likely somatic like mine. Do you have jaw pain or neck pain? I can make it louder by just touching my face, and when i yawn or eat it will get louder. I have had extrame tightness in my jaw, to the point where talking was too painful, let alone smiling. In the last couple of weeks the tightness had reduced alot (by only have soft foods, i stopped biting my nails, i stopped chewing gum, no more caffeine, no more alcohol, taught myself to stop clenching at night) and my neck pain has dissapeard. I think my neck and jaw muscles messed with the muscles of the eustachian tube because they are crackling and popping when i yawn and i often have pain in my ears, like i have an ear infection, than i go to an ent and get send home because i don't have any infections or any abnormalities in my ears., i also can't do the vavalsa manouver, my ears just won't pop when i try that, it feels like they are completly blocked.. Altough it is slowly getting better ,the pitch of my t is lower at the moment and it alot more easy to handle. All the best to you!

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    4. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Might be worth having your dentist check you out for TMJ
      Love glynis

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    5. Brad G

Brad G Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Headphones/Drummer
    6. WilliamIII
      Blah

WilliamIII Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1/18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      car accident
      I'm not sure where to post this, but I have a question. My car was totaled in a car accident that blew 3 airbags on the driver side. I have been blessed (not) with tinnitus for 7 months now. About two months ago, panic attacks have now started. My job is extremely stressful and it's just a horrific screech all day followed by a panic attack here and there. I spoke to my doctors and they essentially said "it is what it is" and I have to learn to deal with it. I am working on getting (masking) hearing aids. Any opinions ?

7. Contrast
      No Mood

Contrast Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      reactive tinnitus and hyperacusis are not the same thing.

You have somatic tinnitus.

It's a very common thing for tinnitus to get louder when someone yawns, bites,presses against there face and raises there tongue. It's called "Somatic tinnitus" the majority of tinnitus patients have this. If you wish to read about the technical properties of it you can do so here.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2566901/