My Positive Yoga Experience

Discussion in 'Support' started by Mikey Cliff, Jan 6, 2015.

1. Mikey Cliff
      Fine

Mikey Cliff Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      An awesome morning! I went to my first Vinyasa Yoga Class this morning. It was an amazing experience. I remember telling myself as I was going this morning that "It won't help your tinnitus today but it could in the future". I was wrong, it was wonderful for my T! Must be all of the endorphin's going through my body, but it certainly did not make my T worse. I have severe bilateral somatic T, it changes pitch when I clench my Jaw or bend my neck to far. I felt so great afterward that my T didn't matter. I can't wait to see what this does after continuing for several months. I had the air in my car on 2 coming back from yoga. It goes 1-5 and normally I have to keep it on 4 or 5 as a distraction.

Part 2 of this story, the older gentleman next to me was extremely nice. We talked when I entered and I watched him for some understanding of some of the positions. He was kicking my ass! He obviously has been doing it a while, and I have certainly a long way to go. At the end of the session the lady next to me was helping me with a few pointers when she eluded that Bernie (guy next to me) WAS BLIND!!! I had no freaking idea!! The whole time I thought he was just an old happy retired guy. He was so happy, and really good at Yoga. He could do a head stand! Guess who couldn't do a headstand lol... I wanted to start crying at the end because here I am complaining about my T all the time and sitting next to me is a guy who doesn't let his blindness define him. Think he would wan't to trade his blindness for my T? I think a majority of people would. It was very inspirational as there are many successful people who suffer from T. I'm telling you if I had not been told he was blind, I would not have known even as we were leaving, I shook his hand twice and he looked me right in the face! Amazing, looks like I might have a lot of living and loving life after all.

I've been wanting to post something positive for a long time and I am happy I can finally do so. I'm not saying that this is a cure or will work for everyone, but it definitely was a positive experience. Also this week, I saw a counselor who specializes in Neural Feedback. He says he has helped lots of T patience and it is something he specializes in. We will see what happens, but it's a beautiful day and I am glad to be enjoying it, even if it is short lived.

Thanks for reading and I hope everyone has an amazing day as we continue to fight!

MC

• Like Like x 6
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 4
      • Agree Agree x 1
    2. SoulStation
      No Mood

SoulStation Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise / Possible Medication
      This is awesome @Mikey Cliff - I was thinking about this story today and feeling positive while doing so. Thank you for sharing it with us!

• Like Like x 1
    3. flkb
      Amazed

flkb Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/01/2012
      Love hearing stories like this. Thank you!

• Like Like x 1
    4. jazz
      No Mood

jazz Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      eardrum rupture from virus; barotrauma from ETD
      Actually, it is possible the yoga will help you habituate. Like meditation, yoga works on areas of your brain that promote relaxation and lessen fear. Both are excellent for tinnitus sufferers. So, remain positive. Don't expect a rapid change; usually these things take time. But let's see if you're not significantly better six months from now. I think so! :) Plus, your tinnitus is still new and that also bodes well for habituation or even a complete resolution.

Please let us know about this and keep us posted. When you start treatment, you might create a new thread and tell us all about it. I'm personally very interested in neurofeedback for tinnitus. I know others are too.

take care! :) :)

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Mikey Cliff
      Fine

Mikey Cliff Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      I absolutely will! Thanks for the support! Can't wait till this yoga becomes a lifestyle.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    6. marqualler
      Nerdy

marqualler Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection / Mild Noise Induced Hearing Loss
      @Mikey Cliff Thanks for sharing. I have had nothing but terrific yoga experiences, especially post-T. It always makes me feel great and I agree with @jazz that it can aid in habituation. Nothing beats Saturday mornings at my 9am yoga class with my wife followed by a leisurely brunch! I remember my first yoga session post-T--I was very nervous going into it, but left feeling the best I had felt since the T-onset. The shavasana ending to yoga has been a place where I've had a lot of "breakthroughs" in terms of overall well-being both before and after T, and I expect that to continue.

One thing my longtime yoga teacher preaches is "it's yoga practice, not yoga perfect"--so don't let the people who are "better" at it than you get to you--it's all about what you do on the mat at that moment.

• Like Like x 2
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Mikey Cliff
      Fine

Mikey Cliff Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      Not at all, I got a lot to learn. The last two days have been great! Thanks

• Like Like x 1
    8. Leah

Leah Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Enjoyed your positive post. Had to chuckle on your comment about turning on the air it is 3 degrees here. I have signed up for a Mindfullness Class and look forward to it helping me lessen my anxiety with my T, and aid habituation.
      Namaste.

• Like Like x 1
    9. flkb
      Amazed

flkb Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/01/2012
      Will any yoga do or are there specific types of yoga? I may try renting a yoga DVD and give it a go. Thanks All.

10. awbw8
      Balanced

awbw8 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2013
      @Mikey Cliff

Yay! I am so happy you had a great yoga experience. I, too, love yoga and it's actually what got me calmed down enough in the beginning to go to sleep without medication. I did a short series morning and night. It made a big difference for me, too, even the first time.

@flkb

There are a lot of types of yoga, but Vinyasa is great - it involves more fluid movement between poses with a focus on breath. If you want a great DVD - check out anything by Kate Potter, her stuff is very calm, well produced and good for beginners and the more intermediate. I used it for many years along with practice in a studio.

Namaste! : )

• Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    11. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      Nice nice positive update. Amazing about the positivity of the blind older gentleman. What a joy to read that. When I was suffering mightily during my initial days, I literally played blind every morning when I got up with loud T and getting panicky. It helped put my T in perspective. Thanks for sharing.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    12. christine kauhane
      Sunshine

christine kauhane Member

Tinnitus Since:
      june 9th 2013
      Love your story so positive I was thinking about trying yoga not I am . Thanks..

• Like Like x 2
    13. flkb
      Amazed

flkb Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/01/2012
      Thank you Awbw8!!! I will certainly give those dvds a go!

• Hug Hug x 1