My Story. Went from Mild to Moderate in 5 Years. Cautionary but Hopeful.

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by EarHair, Jun 3, 2018.

1. EarHair

EarHair Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2012 worsened Jan 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concerts and TMJ and genetics (Mom, Grandpa have it)
      I got very mild tinnitus for 5 years at age 27. I went to on average 4 concerts per year and 8 movies a year for 10 years since 18. Other than that not much loud things. Bar infrequently, and listened to music at reasonable volume. Anyways it was very mild, sometimes didn't notice it for days and even a couple weeks, and I could easily ignore it within 10 seconds. I didn't take care of it. Spiked in January 2018 (went to some events in December) but they also found an ear hair from my head lodged against my ear drum so that irritated it too. I had sever tinnitus for about 7 days while it was in there. I heard it 90% of the day except or in the shower or when deeply wrapped up in something.

So four months later it is down a bit but not back to mild. It is and eeeeeeee sound in both ears and a bit of an electrical zapping in my left. Sometimes it is very low in the morning but picks up during the day. I've made 2 mistakes in my 4 months. I was going to go to a bar that is not very loud, and they had their licenses pulled for a week so we went to another bar that had a band playing at one end for some fundraiser but we were on the other end. It was loud but not too loud, then they had some bagpiper walking around. I plugged my ears with my fingers. It gave me a 10 day spike. Mistake 2: I was hanging out with my bipolar brother and he starting having a fit in the car and I drove him home while arguing loudly for 20 minutes. Another 5 day spike plus a return of hyperacusis which I was getting when the ear hair was in there.

It has been 6 weeks since the argument with my bro and I am intent on not making any more mistakes and giving myself a good 6 months to see where I'm. I also carry earplugs in my pocket whenever I got out, and have a set in my car, and have a set beside me. I also told my brother he is not to yell in around me and if he does I am gone or am dropping him off on the corner. Hopefully I can return to mild.

Another part of my story is that I a 32 years old. When I was 20 I'd get occasional jaw pain. Like once a month. I told my dentist and he said I probably should have had braces because my jaw is too far back and if my jaw hurts more frequently he will make me a guard. I think I had bruxism back then but not sure if it was diagnosed. I definitely have it now. So another contributor might be TMJ. I noticed my jaw has been more sore in the last few months. I can modulate my tinnitus by clenching my jaw and turning my neck (go Susuan Shore!). I just had a mouthguard made a week ago. I wish he just would have made me a night-guard 12 years ago an maybe I wouldn't have gotten tinnitus.

I am taking a multivitamin, NAC, Magnesium, Fish Oil, B12, D, and I plan on getting Tumeric and Ginko extract. I don't have a huge hope for supplements but I want to make sure I get the proper nutrition just in case. I am also making sure I get cardio every day to increase blood flow to ears. I have and ENT appointment in July, I'm in Canada and wait lists are long, Ive been considering doing massage and physio on my neck and jaw. I had a hearing test and it came back fine.

One last part is that I have a few other symptoms too. I have a bit of ETD as well. In December I noticed my ears were clicking when I swallowed. I have been given steroidal nasal spray no improvements. Also I had a spell of dizziness for a week in December as well and for a week in 2014, no known cause. My facial muscles are tight and sensitive from Bruxism. My neck sometimes gets a bit stiff.

My sleeping is not too bad. I use a fan and an AM radio which is how I've fallen asleep since I was 13. Maybe you could call mine mild/moderate because I'm not at the point I need drugs or professional masking devices. I hear it in my ear on my pillow and it sometimes keeps me up a bit but I still get at least 5 hours on a bad night 8 on a good and if I have a really good sleep sometimes it is near silence for a half hour in the morning and I just lounge in my bed to enjoy it and extend it as much as possible.

My mom has it no known cause although she has Fiber Myalgia and it is common with that disease. My Grandpa has it and is mostly deaf.

I am a big believer in taking care of your ear vigilantly for months. Those 2 setback taught me that. It makes sense. If you shatter you break your leg are you going to jump on a trampoline next week? No. You go in a cast for 2 months, then you have another couple months of physio before you can jump on the trampoline again. Ears are even slower healers. Give it 6 months at least of vigilant protection from loud sounds to see if yours is the type to improve. My job is not loud so I just have to avoid loud sounds in entertainment and traveling.

Any tips or theories welcome.

• Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    2. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      Welcome to the forum. Your mom may get her tinnitus from other causes other than loud noise exposure or ETD.

There are many causes, single or combined, which can trigger or aggravate tinnitus including but not limited to drug side-effects from ototoxic drugs, ear wax build-up, ear-wax removal suction, inner ear infection, Eustachian tube disorder or ETD, ear drum injury, fluid build-up in ears feeling pressured or fullness, sinus infection & congestion especially with a bad cold, TMJ, TTTS, autoimmune disorders such as Lyme Disease & Fibromyalgia, high blood pressure or blood circulation problem, anemia, loud noise exposure or acoustic trauma/shock, head injury or TBI, neck injury or muscle problems, hearing loss from aging or other causes, Meniere's Decease, barotrauma from rapid pressure changes in flights or diving, especially with congested nose or sinus causing failure to balance the pressure changes, slapping of the ears, deep grief, untreated sleep apnea, extreme/extended stress, anxiety & panic disorder, depression, sleep deprivation, etc.

T can also be caused or made worse by unhealthy diet such as too much salt, sugar, caffeine, MSG, alcohol etc. or by lacking some mineral or vitamin supplements, such as Magnesium, Zinc, B12, D3 etc.

As for tips, you seem to be doing quite well mentally at least with your tinnitus. The limbic system and its fight or flight response mode is the worst enemy to make T worse. So keeping mentally calm and positive, making allowance for time to heal, these are the right ingredients for success with habituation. This will keep the limbic system away. Sooner or later, the brain will learn that T is not a threat and with that it can learn to fade T out of consciousness.

Thank you for your post. Take care. God bless.

• Winner Winner x 1