My Success/AM-101 Trial

Discussion in 'Success Stories' started by grandfunk1, Feb 18, 2016.

1. grandfunk1

grandfunk1 Member

Hi, ive had T for a year now, And ive done the AM 101 trial. I wanted to post here that T no longer affects me and I forget its there. The most important tip I can give is just DONT WORRY ABOUT IT. Carry on with your life, do the things you love to do, and T will become the last thing you think about. That will also cause you to not hear it, because you don't think to. You will filter it out of your life. I dont use any masking anymore, just be strong and forget about it.

As for am 101, I think It may have helped alittle bit, it certainly hasn't made it worse. The experience alone was worth it. I travelled, and had a great time. The injections were nothing, leading up to them was the worst part. I would recommend doing it if you can, it was nice just getting away from daily life. It helped with my worries and stress from T. I also felt like I was helping the people of the future. I have done all injections and honestly wish It wasn't over.

If you need something to mask T, I guarantee this will help. The album Sounds to Soothe by steve harrison. Helped me get through the early stages.

Brian

• Like Like x 11
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 2
      • Hug Hug x 1
    2. Sebastians

Sebastians Member

Tinnitus Since:
      13/10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Guitars, loud girls and guns
      Thanks Brian for your feedback. When i was going through the am101 thread, i noticed you never got back to the board after the first round, which got me kind of worried as to what happens after people undergo the treatment haha.
      Good to see you are alive and kicking and T is not an issue anymore.
      Do you still play music?

• Like Like x 2
    3. makocc21

makocc21 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Jan, 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ear infection
      Hello, I am new to this so don't know if am doing this right. I have been invited to join the AM 101 trial. I have not seen any post here detailing the pre screen for the trail. I don't want to be disquaified. My concern is my blood pressure. I have been taking losartan for long before I got tinnitus. Will that show up in the pre screening and disqualify me? Will high blood pressure disquaify me? What other concerns might be disqualifers? Thanks

4. Zora
      Depressed

Zora Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      1st time: Megaphone ;2nd time: headphones too loud
      thanks for the post @grandfunk1
      I got declined from am 101 because my T was headphones induced. Thats pulled my down a lot and still does, thinking a betterment is available but I didnt get it.

5. J M

J M Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Are trials still going on? I'd like to see if I could qualify.

6. Genevieve

Genevieve Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      car accident
      [QUOTE="grandfunk1, post: 165383, member: 8205"]Hi, ive had T for a year now, And ive done the AM 101 trial. I wanted to post here that T no longer affects me and I forget its there. The most important tip I can give is just DONT WORRY ABOUT IT. Carry on with your life, do the things you love to do, and T will become the last thing you think about. That will also cause you to not hear it, because you don't think to. You will filter it out of your life. I dont use any masking anymore, just be strong and forget about it.

As for am 101, I think It may have helped alittle bit, it certainly hasn't made it worse. The experience alone was worth it. I travelled, and had a great time. The injections were nothing, leading up to them was the worst part. I would recommend doing it if you can, it was nice just getting away from daily life. It helped with my worries and stress from T. I also felt like I was helping the people of the future. I have done all injections and honestly wish It wasn't over.

If you need something to mask T, I guarantee this will help. The album Sounds to Soothe by steve harrison. Helped me get through the early stages.

Brian[/QUOTE]

Hi Brian, thank you for this post, it gives me hope for the future :) I have T since last december, habituation is certainly the key, but it's still very hard for me to achieve that. It's a mourning/grieving process of our hearing lost, very very hard to accept. When you said you've done the AM 101 trail, do you mean one year ago or after one year? Thanks again to give us hope for our future! Genevieve

7. Alue
      No Mood

Alue Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      He probably started 1 year ago within 3 months after onset. Auris won't accept people after 3 months in North America and 6 months in Europe.

• Informative Informative x 1
    8. Genevieve

Genevieve Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      car accident
      Thanks @Alue that's what I thought too, were you also in the same AM trial?

9. Alue
      No Mood

Alue Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Yes, I still am.

10. mandi
      Wishful

mandi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      4/4/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ear infection
      where do we sign up for the clinical trials in North America? I am still under 3 months...thank you.

• Agree Agree x 1
    11. Alue
      No Mood

Alue Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      New enrollment is closed in North America. :(

• Like Like x 1
    12. wishingluck
      No Mood

wishingluck Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure, but probably acoustic trauma
      ''just be strong and forget about it.''

Brill. Thanks.

• Funny Funny x 2
    13. wishingluck
      No Mood

wishingluck Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure, but probably acoustic trauma
      yeah Bill, that stuff got funny indeed, I don't even feel angry anymore when I hear it. :D

let me rant about it for a while, though...let's pick another of these very effective solutions:

''You will filter it out of your life''

So why isn't everybody doing these things? Aren't the people who aren't 'forgetting about it', 'strong enough' ?

All empty words, my friends. The reality is that the majority of people here, have two balls of the size of ther gran canyon.

If that if you are doing as well as you say, your problem is minor. For the rest of us it's a different story. I still struggle to understand why people believe that weak tinnitus is the same as loud tinnitus, or that not getting spikes is the same as getting them, or that a nasty hiss is the same as a low rumble, or that tinnitus with hyperacusis is just the same as without.

It's like saying that getting a bruise is the same as breaking my leg, which is the same as getting run over by a truck.

I also think that many other things make a GIGANTIC difference about how bad you feel about it.

Let's pick three people with tinnitus:

1 has minor tinnitus. He/she has a partner. Or family, friends, or a combination of these. In other words, they aren't alone.

2 has loud tinnitus, he/she is socially isolated. For whatever reasons. Drugs, family matters, etc.

3 has loud tinnitus. He/she has a partner. Or family, friends, or a combination of these. In other words, they aren't alone.

4 has loud tinnitus and hyperacusis. The other 3 people don't have hyperacusis. Which means, person 4 is more influenced by how much noise there is around them. That's why they avoid going out. Which will lead to more isolation, whether or not they have a partner, etc.

Do you think that the life of these 4 is subjective? That 3 would fare as well as 1, or that 2 would fare as well as 3?

Now, these are four -very generic- and basic examples.

Now start multiplying all the innumerable variants of how their lives revolves....since every life is unique, and can never be exactly the same as another.

Now you have a multitude of cases where tinnitus affects everything in their lives, and vice versa, since NO PROBLEM is ever isolated.

This is really difficult to explain. It's one thing I think most doctors and psychologists just don't get.

They see 'tinnitus' as an isolated problem that doesn't affect really anything. Just some noise, right?

But it robs you of your peace of mind. This is one of the greatest gifts of life.

So if you are able to 'just not think about it', it means the loudness of your tinnitus is lower, and you live in an environment more conducive to you 'just forgetting it'.

But what about all the rest?

Let me make another example.....I had a couple of truly horrible nights, some months ago. I was pacing the room in the dark, like a madman.

Then I have read of a woman who went through a very similar night: pacing the room in desperation (something to be avoided at all cost, really). But she has a partner.

Who do you think gets it worse. I am not blaming anyone for any of my trouble or things missing in my life, really. I am not bitching about them, I am a grown man and I am very used to solitude. It never bothered me at all, I even LIKED it. I have never been short on things to do.

But these two nights I really felt desperate, and I have been in several desperate situations, for example being homeless in the middle of the winter, with nowhere to go. Again, I don't say this stuff to appear cool or anything, but I think they illustrate my points with facts rather than theories (and theories are never as good as facts).

I still remember 20 years ago. It was 4 in the morning, I was walking in the snow. I had no money, I didn't know anybody, I didn't speak the language. I really had NOWHERE to go.

A truly worrying situation, right?

Man, that was NOTHING. I remember I would wake up in the morning , in the park. I even liked it. I felt at peace. I loved the peaceful city nights. I felt as good as a fish.

Been living without electricity, in the winter. That was a JOKE. No big deal at all.

Smashed my front teeth. They grew again.

Once I was getting bullied by someone. Everytime I would pass them by, they would make fun of me. A gang of guys. One night I decided I had enough. I went back, I went straight to their leader, and asked him (very impolitely), what the hell he wanted.

He got up, so I prepared myself for the fight. He smashed into my face so hard, I collapsed on the floor, my head ringing like a motorboat. I could not see anything, it was all yellow in colour. I got up, holding my falling and bleeding face. You know what I did?

I stood in front of them and LAUGHED. They could not believe it. Since that day, they started to be all friendly.

Physical pain isn't a big deal to me. I feel the pain, but it goes away.

If only tinnitus were like that. I would rather get my face smashed over and over. Worst case scenario, I'd start looking a lot less sexy :D

How anything affects our lives, is much less of a problem with subjectivity than people think. I said it umpteen times....I'd rather walk on crutches for the rest of my life and getting a peaceful sleep and play my videogame in the evening, than this.

Tinnitus robs you of your peace of mind. That's worth even more than my legs.

And my face, too. Hey, it's a face. Who cares? I know I'd never be Marylin Monroe's type anyways.

The great Niki Lauda never cared about his face either. :watching:

Not to mention Freddie Krueger. :troll:

• Like Like x 1
    14. nimx

nimx Member

I'm sorry but I can't agree with you. I had a VERY loud T with Hyperacusis which caused anxiety and panick attacks every day for months. Well at least, MY experience is that you can train your mind, and T has to do with emotions and inner experiences (well, my T has been caused by emotional distress lasted many years). Tried lot of things, but the only one that works is working hard on myself and my mind, I'm living a richer life than ever and I know myself better than ever, long slow recovery is happening, T doesn't bother me anymore and its volume decreased (except when I put ear plugs, I do it sometimes when I do some mindfulness training about T when I feel I'm trying to avoid my fears, I go and face them even if it will cause an anxiety attack, which btw doesn't happen anymore).

• Like Like x 1
    15. i.m
      Anime

i.m Member

Tinnitus Since:
      18/02/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      For me: Aspartame Poisoning. For Ent: L: TMJD / R: Dunno
      @nimx you should write your story under "Success Stories" ;)

@wishingluck along with nimx response, there is the story of @billie48 who suffered from severe T and H, @I who love music who suffered from severe T from at least 40 years, and now they are enjoying their life again, and who knows, lots of people out the web who have serious T and H without any problems.

The big problem about T & H is the overwhelming ( and it is normal ) negativity inside forum like these that can exacerbate our T loudness and / or reaction, and very few positive stories.

Tinnitus is sure a bad event and it takes months or years to habituate our brain to its presence. But the major obstacle is mainly in our emotion and reactions. I suggest you and everyone here a book called "Tinnitus: A Self-Management Guide for the Ringing in Your Ears" ;)

• Agree Agree x 1
    16. ibelievetoo

ibelievetoo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2004
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      I also applied for the AM101 trial if that is the right name. Hasn't been too long. Was going on in Wilmington, NC which is about 6 hrs. for me. I got to speak to a very nice gentleman, which had a genuine concern for my condition. I had the T too long at the time. His office was in Hickory, NC for Clinical Trials. Told me he would put my name on a list if anything came up. Have put a few things on here. Not even sure which category supposed to use. My last question was about a Dr. James Fugedy (sp) based in Atlanta, Ga. which does the TMS. Wondered if anyone knew anything about his personal experience or success with this, as I know nothing about the Procedure nor the Dr. Evidentally, don't know too much about how the site works, as I don't get much info. I do now this, after 10 yrs. and $25,000. later, all that I have in my life to wake up to is the noise. With no family left, I must still have a little faith or I could not have endured this alone. That's why I keep telling myself,
      ibelievetoo