My Tinnitus: 98% Cured

Discussion in 'Success Stories' started by Tamalak, Jun 17, 2015.

1. Danny Boy
      Cheerful

Danny Boy Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      Haha...Well, he's a larger than life character!

2. CarrieLee

CarrieLee Member

Tinnitus Since:
      May 2014
      @Tamalak
      After reading your story, it actually have me thinking the air conditikner in my room may make my T worse which I have never thought about. I had trouble sleeping last night just thinking about this. At some point, I turned off the AC but it gets so hard and I could. It sleep and constantly thinking about what your post. The summer is hot and we can not sleep without fan or air conditioner especially my husband. I can not wear ear plugs to sleep, too uncomfortable. My T is usually more quiet in the morning even with the air container on for almost a year. The HVAC air conditioner can be a bit loud but I think it should not loud enough to make the T worse. A lot of people use masker to help sleep and did not complain about T getting worse. The cause may be something else. You also need to protect your ears with ear plugs when you go out on noisy street and avoid loud places as much as possible. I try to put this air conditioner sound will make T worse idea away. Anyway, sorry to say your post did freak me out a little and think of the T more. Still thanks for yor efforts to share.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Tamalak
      Volatile

Tamalak Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      3/2011
      Hi CarrieLee, the fans I had in my room were certainly not loud, well below the decibel range to damage my hearing. The white noise youtube was louder, but also not loud enough to be dangerous. And yet: the youtube caused temporary hearing loss and then intense T.
      I don't think these night noises damaged my ear, rather, they were doing something to my brain that created T. I wonder if it's analagous to that trick where you stare at a red square for a while, and then look at a white wall and see a green square (although that is a property of the eyes sending information, not the brain's processing of it).

I appreciate the difficulty of turning off all sound during summer especially, but I encourage you to try it for a month or two when things cool down. Don't even use a ceiling fan. DON'T use earplugs. Sleep in stillness and silence. Worth a shot, anyway..

4. Sound Wave
      Curious

Sound Wave Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably headphones
      Sounds like normal habituation to me. Good for you! :)

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Tamalak
      Volatile

Tamalak Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      3/2011
      No. It is not habituation. Not even a tiny little bit. I don't notice the sound because there IS no sound. I couldn't hear it if my life depended on it.

• Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
      • Genius Genius x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    6. CarrieLee

CarrieLee Member

Tinnitus Since:
      May 2014
      @Tamalak

Thanks for the reply. I don't use any fan or air conditioner in winter. We have about 4 months hot summer here but most of the time, I don't need air conditioners. It is hard to believe that noise of youtube video causes your hearing loss unless it is loud or you put it close to your ears? I can not think about air conditioners will make T worse. It is driving me crazy. Maybe I overreact.

7. CarrieLee

CarrieLee Member

Tinnitus Since:
      May 2014
      Wearing ear plugs to loud places is very very inportant if you have T.

8. Cheza
      Wishful

Cheza Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barking dogs/stress
      @Tamalak ... I never use fans or any sort of masking now. I did attempt occasional under-threshold masking for the first six months, as well as sincerely disciplined audio notch therapy, but at night my bedroom was always silent. The tinnitus is bad enough, so adding more sound has always seemed counter-intuitive to me (as well as an extra level of annoyance), especially after the tinnitus migrated and is now central head noise. It's summer now, so I can somewhat hear the ceiling fan at medium speed, but only if I concentrate and really listen for it.

In other words, I'm truly glad that a no-noise nighttime environment worked for you, but for me, it's made no difference whatsoever.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    9. wishingluck
      No Mood

wishingluck Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure, but probably acoustic trauma
      a strange story, indeed, but what's important is that you are better.

As for 'cures', well it's not a matter of 'demanding'. Demanding from whom? The reality is that the world doesn't own anybody anything. Science is a long and arduous journey, sometimes it gest faster and it gets lucky.
      But yes I agree with what you say: this damn problem should be taken a LOT more seriously.

Unfortunately, a lot of doctors are ignorant about it, and the patients just
      Me too. That's what I have been doing for months, masking. I can't really do without, especially since I am quite isolated.

10. wishingluck
      No Mood

wishingluck Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure, but probably acoustic trauma

frankly I have not tried to just do without the masking. In that sense you are far beyond where I am. I find the T noise scary. The fact that I live alone and am alone most of the time for sure has something to do with that, but I have no choice. A shitty year, 2015. My worse year for the last 20 years. I am amazed I always seemed in pretty good shape for 20 years in a row. Only had flu, once. Then in 2009 I started to get lots of different and strange problems, and T was the heaviest blow.

Let's hope this one year will be better, and I sincerely hope the same for all of you.

11. Mr cricket

Mr cricket Member

Tinnitus Since:
      November 2014
      I think you are on to something, I definitely noticed a difference in the morning when I slept with sound.
      For me certain sounds while sleeping would cause morning flare up. Central air, TV....
      Using purple noise (which best matched my internal sound) didn't cause an issue.
      I live on a busy street. That also caused a problem. Mine is finally gone. I was a 10 for 5 months. After that it has slowly gone down.. It took me a year and 3 months to get to this point.

• Informative Informative x 1
    12. Mike TerMaaten

Mike TerMaaten Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      April 20, 2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      2013 GMC Sierra pickup truck
      I LIKE this Thread !

Tamalak, thank you for reporting/sharing all this.

I fully agree with what you're saying.

No audio / speakers / televison ( especially at night ) ..is a definate necessity ..if one expects their T. to go away

• Agree Agree x 3
    13. Mithrandir
      Ape-like

Mithrandir Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Shock Disorder (TTTS)
      Silence is pure ! I prefer sleep with silence + my T's than try any other masks ;-)

@Tamalak I wish you an happy new life without T.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    14. Blackbird26

Blackbird26 Member

I was essentially kicked out of a TRT fanatical group because I have never used any noise at night. Why? because I always woke up worse the next morning. My ears need rest. I follow my body, not simple theories. Regardless 3 years later, still have h& t.

• Informative Informative x 2
      • Hug Hug x 1
      • Useful Useful x 1
    15. noisebox
      Loved

noisebox Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      West End show. Came back 2015 vitamin D overdose prescribed
      When i first got T in 2012 it never occured to me to use white noise, I liked a silent bedroom. At that point as my T was one sided I either listened to the T or switched my brain to the non T side. My sleep was never disturbed by it. It also was always better in a morning.
      I got to point in 2014 of silence many days and hardly ever thought of t. It only got stressed in a loud shop or restaurant.
      Anyway 2015 was my medical disaster year and it all came back, and some. I tried masking at night but it drove me nuts and T got worse.
      I got a tiny clock and the tick is all I need. I used low dose melatonin and now weaning off that. Its taken months but T is lowering daily as is H and reactivity.
      I agree with you for some silence is what our brains really need.

16. Ed209

Ed209 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      This is very similar to my experience. I never use any masking, the only time I have is when my T has gone crazy on me. I've probably used masking around 6 times in total the whole time I've had it. When did try using it, I found my T reacting and competing with the sounds; I also found it harder to sleep. I just saw it as noise on top of noise and got no real relief.

I also found that it affected my sleep. I used to have dreams about the noises, especially with the rain and water maskers. It almost sent me into a delirious state, very hard to describe. I woke up on 3 of the mornings with horrendous T, so I simply stopped using it.

17. grecianmax87

grecianmax87 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      Just to pick up on the whole masking when sleeping thing. Personally, when I first had it and the noise was at a high level I was really attached to my white noise app and a fan I plugged in.

However when I stopped using these I noticed I'd wake up with much softer tinnitus. My theory is that your brain gets a good 6/7 hours to get used to this alien noise and it helps the habituation process.
      Certainly one of the major factors for me and would recommend to anyone with mile to moderate tinnitus (obviously if yours is louder then I understand a silent room is probably hell)

• Like Like x 1
    18. Rina
      Energetic

Rina Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/18/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Really don't know
      I tried masking at the beginning when I first got t and it made it worst for me.... Louder t ... Waking up every half hour .. And waking up in the morning with louder t.. One day I read a post here about not masking at all and I tried and it has worked for me .. I wake up with lower t and if I wake up I. The middle of the night my t is not crazy and it does not prevent me from falling back to sleep.. Actually when my t is screaming I just go to my room in silent and slowly my t starts to calm down ... I sleep better now... No masking at all

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    19. Zorro!
      Wtf

Zorro! Member

I've tried to sleep with the radio on softly in the background but I always find I'm not as rested compared to nights I sleep in silence. And yes, I've tried the fan thing also but it doesn't help either. If anything my tinnitus is louder in the morning when I use maskers like the radio or the fan. Plus I tend to wake up more frequently in the middle of the night due to the noise from these things.

• Informative Informative x 2
    20. Cheza
      Wishful

Cheza Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barking dogs/stress
      @Zorro! I just clicked on this thread to get a better look at your avatar. :p

• Like Like x 1
    21. Zorro!
      Wtf

Zorro! Member

Gravity Falls. Rainbow-puking gnome. Best cartoon evah. ;)

• Like Like x 1
    22. mandi
      Wishful

mandi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      4/4/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ear infection
      @Danny Boy trobalt brought mild tinnitus and keppra has ended all tinnitus and hyperacusis? no side effects from these drugs?? what happens when you feel you need to get off?

23. Kitsune
      Tired

Kitsune Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/04/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown, probably stress.
      Hello to you all! That is my first post here, but I am lurking since my T had started over a month ago. I'm working on my introduction post, but it still hard for me to finish it during this Rollercoaster. But I couldn't help myself to write after reading this post.

I think my T is also triggered by other sounds. It is definitely reactive - I can hear it fluctuating "under" different sounds, especially when I'm covering my ear with a pillow and the other ear is stimulated. That makes it hard to mask, I had some bad episodes of masking it at night and then waking up in the middle of the night with a nasty spike. On the other hand, I experienced some quieter awakenings when sleeping in total silence. I don't know if it's a coincidence but it happened a few times. Right now I experience a pitch shift in my T so I'm kind of stressed a lot, but I try to verify it again when everything calms down.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    24. Kayla L
      Depressed

Kayla L Member

Tinnitus Since:
      March 13, 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ETD/TMJ/Anxiety/Stress
      Hi, I have experienced exactly what you have previously described. The intermittent "static/electrical" noise that comes and goes all day.. Seems to be really bad when I first wake up and progressively get a little better throughout the day. Then I go to bed it it restarts again the next morning. It seems to be triggered by noises like bottle crunching, typing on computer, mouse click... it's very bad right out of the shower or when I brush my teeth.. also when chewing/swallowing sometimes.

I got tinnitus out of nowhere 2 years ago.. I've habituated to it and I barely hear/nor think about it anymore.. This intermittent buzzing noise started months after T started.. Lasted a few months then went away last Spring.. I barely had any symptoms from about May 2016 - March 2017... Now It's back worse than ever.. started off quiet in the beginning of this April and slowly got worse and worse. I think it has a lot to do with stress.. possibly allergies.. not sure. I need help. Please, if anyone is experiencing this and it's gone away, please let me know..

25. Greg Sacramento

Greg Sacramento Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing + Somatic tinnitus from dental work
      • Like Like x 1
    26. Luman
      Benevolent

Luman Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Intermittent Tinnitus probably noise induced
      Politics can be tricky. There have been numerous studies that show CBT works as well, or better than, drugs for depression and other conditions. Even if CBT worked only half as good as drugs, this still would be a worthwhile form of therapy for some.

We do not yet have the ability to cure tinnitus, but we can certainly use a safe way of coping with it, which CBT seems to be able to provide for those willing to try. CBT is generally not a long-term process, but if some people need to return for more treatment(s) at some point after the initial treatments were given, as it says in the article in the link, I don't think that's so bad, either. Just my 2¢

27. Greg Sacramento

Greg Sacramento Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing + Somatic tinnitus from dental work
      @Luman I'm not knocking CBT. You make a good point. I wanted to mention the most discussed topic on this thread that I found interesting, but I didn't get there. Some state that sound at night doesn't help him. No opinion on that either.

28. Luman
      Benevolent

Luman Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Intermittent Tinnitus probably noise induced
      I understand, Greg.

I moved my sound machine further from the bed last night, turned it very low, and I heard no T at all when I woke up a few times during the night - first time this has happened since the T and H started last summer. The T was gone for a very good portion of the day, as well. Tonight I will try sleeping with no sound at all.

I thought my T was caused by overcleaning my ears, but now I am considering other possibilities, which are too theoretical to go into here.

Whatever the cause, which I will likely never really know, or level of T from now on, I am going to utilize CBT, because it had been helpful to me in my pre-T days, as well.

29. Tony Phylactou

Tony Phylactou Member

Tinnitus Since:
      sept 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Cement factory noise lowT,then stress high T
      A strange thing happened to me to day. I woke up at 4 am with low T.Too early to get up went back to sleep woke up with high T.Went to nice quiet spot in the countryside mediated for half an hour no change.Then I started deep slow breathing and in 10 minutes my T went from 9 to about 1-2.I was amazed.The question is was it the fresh country air, was it the silence, was it the meditation ,was it the deep breathing, was it the slow breathing, a combination of all of them or did it just happen ? I thing I will have to experiment with them individually to come to a conclusion.I hope it is the deep slow breathing because I can easily practice it anywhere.

• Like Like x 1
    30. Jack23

Jack23 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1 month
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise, medication
      @Tamalak

How are you doing now? Is your tinnitus still gone? Also you said your doctor put you on steroids, which ones? Did you get steroid injection into ear?