My Tinnitus Disappeared Four Years Ago — Now It's Back

Discussion in 'Support' started by Steve Willo, Jan 20, 2020.

1. Steve Willo

Steve Willo Member

Good morning.

I got tinnitus around 4 years ago in my left ear. I would say it was around 8/10 loudness and struggled to cope. However after 6/8 weeks it went away just like that.

It has come back around 12 weeks ago and is just as bad. I do have a little ear pain every now and then. I’ve been to see doctors and ENT but they say everything is fine. The tinnitus can get up to 10/10 and I really struggle to cope as it is louder than people talking. But it can also get very quiet and then I can notice it but not as bad.

Has anybody else had it come back for 2nd time so many years later? And if so, do you think it could go away like the first time?

I’m really struggling at the moment. I know it’s only just started compared to a lot of people on here and I hope one day we can all get the silence we all deserve. Thanks.

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. Mister Muso
      No Mood

Mister Muso Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2011 / April 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      Man that must be tough when you thought it was gone. I guess the takeaway is that it's never really gone - but by the same token, if it got better itself once before, it can do so again. I certainly have a lot of spikes come and go, several times a week sometimes. Hope you find ideas here to help you.

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Steve Willo

Steve Willo Member

Good afternoon.

My tinnitus is constant hissing (high pitched). Whist working (folk lift driving) it seems to make it worse. Also if sleeping with a fan the tinnitus will increase.

I have had it for just under 4 months. I had the same tinnitus 4 years ago which lasted 12 weeks.

Thanks for the help.

4. Chinmoku

Chinmoku Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Started with a cold, possibly worsened by medication/noise
      It will quieten again hopefully. Are you taking any medication?

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Steve Willo

Steve Willo Member

No. I was around the time it started (for acid reflux) but not been taking that for a while. I did have a cold when it started and have been in and out of a cold for the past couple of months.

6. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Did anything cause it to come back?

7. I Want Silence

I Want Silence Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Glutamine? Excess glutamate? Unknown.
      @Steve Willo

What would you say you've done differently in the weeks prior to this reappearance of the ringing? In terms of diet or supplementation, I mean. Have you been more stressed out? Drinking?

I think we need to scrutinize our life to find out what might be inducing the ringing so that we can ameliorate the situation.

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Steve Willo

Steve Willo Member

I’ve not realy done anything differently at all. Hence why it’s really frustrating.

My ears feel a little bit full like if you move your jaw you can hear things if that makes sense.

I’ve had both ears suctioned for wax. So it’s not that. The only thing the ENT said was that the left ear drum was bulging and to keep popping your ears as that’s healthy for the ear / ear drum apparently.

I wouldn’t say I’ve lost hearing and I didn’t last time this came about. However this could still happen.

9. Don Tinny

Don Tinny Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2017 (worsening)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud concert with ear plugs
      Hi. I am sorry for you but this is pretty common. Seems like tinnitus always "wins" in the long run.

I had moderate tinnitus for more than 2 years. Then faded to a very mild level, but 2 years after the improvement I made a mistake (concert) and it came back in a severe form. I am not waiting for improvements anymore :(

10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Steve Willo

Steve Willo Member

What caused your tinnitus to begin with?

11. I Want Silence

I Want Silence Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Glutamine? Excess glutamate? Unknown.
      I think we're just exposed to so much that we shouldn't be exposed to. 'Ingredients' in foods, excess metals (and heavy metal), various frequencies we can't see, and constant noise. It's all unnatural to our hearing architecture.

• Agree Agree x 1