My Tinnitus Is Suddenly Worsening

Discussion in 'Support' started by Makrohn, Dec 12, 2017.

1. Makrohn
      Supportive

Makrohn Member Benefactor Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hearing loss - Explosion - Stress
      I have had tinnitus for 20 years and it has kept pretty much stable all these years, but now it has gone completely "mad". It changes by the hour, new sounds are developing and the volume is increasing for each day that passes. What on earth is going on. I´m on my 3rd week with this getting worse and worse... I managed ok when it was 6/10 but now it is more like 9/10 most of the day.

Anyone experienced long term changes that eventually subsided?

Trying what I can to manage it, but I realise I need some support here now, because the levels I am experiencing now is plain torture. It is a pure tone in one ear and a more random pattern tone in left ear.

• Hug Hug x 12
    2. fishbone
      Shitfaced

fishbone Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud noise and very bad sickness
      Sorry, that your tinnitus is being more aggressive. What has changed lately? More stress? Taking meds/supplements? Have a cold? Neck/body issues? Loud noise? New diet? Tinnitus most of the time, has a reason for changing and becoming more aggressive....

In my 30 years, that's been the case....

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Good Question Good Question x 1
    3. Niko

Niko Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Nightclub
      I'm like you, had mild T. 2/10 for 12 years, got one spike after 12 years, but managed to get it down again. Now 6 months ago due to headphone usage my T. got 5/10 and is currently 6.5/10.

The worst thing now is that it's permanent like this, and even sounds low as 50-70 dB make my T. spike allot.

One question I don't know, ok you get T. because of loud exposure to noise 100-120 dB. But once you have it I don't understand how headphone usage 60-65 dB which is not damaging can mess it up. I mean I was at clubs unprotected many times when my T. was 2/10 without any issue, but the headphone session messed it up.

Sure some of our hair cells are damaged, but they shouldn't continue to damage with noise low as 60 dB. It's strange and I don't think my T. will go back to 2/10 now, been many months, I just fear that it will get worse, and it will.

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Makrohn
      Supportive

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Well, the odd thing is that things actually have changed for the better. I have been changing my diet to a much more healthy diet, I started talking daily walks, I meditate and take som simple supplements. I have had extensive blood tests done, and overall I am in great shape. I do not attend concerts or use headphones... I have had spikes before, but NEVER like this and with this intensity :(

I am like you looking for the reason for this spike, but I really have no clue

5. fishbone
      Shitfaced

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      What type of supplements, do you take? I use to take many supplements, but I cut off about 90% of them. They simply worked against, my body and caused me more issues.

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Makrohn
      Supportive

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:

To me this also does not make sense... If I could blame some loud noise or unusual things I would have known about it. But I´ve had this for 20 years and pretty much lived my life the same way since I got T. Does not make any sense at all why it should change due to everyday sounds.

I even had major anxiety and depression this summer and it NEVER reached the levels I am currently experiencing.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Makrohn
      Supportive

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Omega-3 oil and Vitamin D3, but I have been taking them for 2-3 months

8. fishbone
      Shitfaced

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I take those daily and never had an issue. There has to be some trigger, that causing your tinnitus to get worst. You might possibly be deficient in something, possibly go and get a blood test and see if it's an underlying health issue. Tinnitus by itself, will not just become more aggressive(most of the time). Something causes it to get that way. I know my body and what I do to it and how the tinnitus acts. Whatever I put in, I get out. Loud environments/stress = spikes and possibly a new baseline for me....

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Makrohn
      Supportive

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @fishbone I agree with you that there has to be some trigger... But now I am starting to feel paranoid about the reasons and starting to look for whatever might cause it. I suffered major anxiety/depression/stress this summer, but all that is gone now and instead my T i worsening. I just dont get it, it should get better in my opinion.

10. fishbone
      Shitfaced

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise/diet/cold/flu/infection/allergies/stress/lack of sleep...usually the reason for the aggressive tinnitus

11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Makrohn
      Supportive

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Yeah.. makes sense. I MIGHT have had a cold some weeks ago and some stress now and then, and my sleep has not been 100% because of my kids waking me up several times during the night. But now it has been 3 weeks with this.. I can only hope it is temporary

• Hug Hug x 2
    12. fishbone
      Shitfaced

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      All of those elements play a HUGE role buddy. it all connects together and holds that spike and can make it last. Solving each issue, is what creates peace and possibly brings our spikes down.. It's never easy, but we need to address it :)

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    13. fishbone
      Shitfaced

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Tinnitus is very connected to our bodies and mind. If either are not optimum, then tinnitus will or can be more aggressive. It signals, that something is not where it needs to be and tells us to make a positive change. With positive change, we should feel a little better, but with tinnitus you never know 100%.

• Like Like x 1
    14. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Makrohn
      Supportive

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I too believe this... But it is tearing me up that I know I have been doing so many things that should be positive for my overall body and health. I never used to think much of what I ate or how much I slept before... T was always stable back then. Now it is not... something has happened... something I cant figure out.

Why would my T suddenly react to things when it have not done so before?
      For example I had a middle ear infection this spring... did nothing to my T.

That being said.. I do feel that this is a form of reaction to something.

15. fishbone
      Shitfaced

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      There is no 1 size fits all rule buddy. As we age and get older, anything goes. Just because everything was great before, doesn't make it like that down the line. This applies to health and life in general. Something has changed and your body is telling you something. It's not always a bad bad thing, but something has changed and your tinnitus is re-acting and being louder. Only you know what your routines are and can self-correct them.

If I was you, i'd go back to when this NEW louder tinnitus started and see what you been doing since it started or 1-3 weeks prior. Journal your routines and make adjustments if....you have to.

• Agree Agree x 2
    16. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Makrohn
      Supportive

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I actually have a journal... I´ll have a look at it and see if something comes up

17. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Makrohn
      Supportive

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ok @fishbone, so I have actually some things there that might be considered. I keep a personal journal for each day, since my therapist told me it would be wise.. I can see why now.

According to my journal I got the new sound on November 30th so thats about 2 weeks ago.
      Prior to this, I actually had a periode with depression... I remember it now, that I suddenly felt more and more depressed. At the same time, I had some sort of infection in my mouth.... My GP did not make much of it and it was gone within a week. I also remember I had some days, maybe 2-3 where I had some pain on the sides of my throat/neck... could have been the lymphs? Also went away on its own.
      I also see that my diet has had way more sugar than I used to prior to this...

Add this with the disturbed sleep, some stress and I might have something causing this?

Thing is, I feel fine right now... of course the T is scaring the s*** out of me. But it is really fluctuating and the spike is in both ears.. makes me think this is something somatic.

Thoughts?

18. JurgenG
      Approved

JurgenG Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise exposure / headphone accident maybe?
      Can you explain what you were listening through your headphones? How do you know how loud it was? How long did you use them?

19. fishbone
      Shitfaced

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      You mention, quite a few things. Some of them might not be 100% resolved. I am no doctor, but some pains/infections might have underlying issues and those can possibly impact your tinnitus. Tinnitus is related to our bodies and mind. If either is not at optimum levels, then it can trigger spikes and even louder tinnitus. There has to be some reason, as to why this is happening...

You got me interested even more now, and i hope we find a solution for your issue :)

I get a kick, out of helping people, it's very rewarding for me..

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    20. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Makrohn
      Supportive

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Yes, I agree... again ;)

So, if we narrow it down a bit... whats the most likely cause. A combination of these things or do you think the underlying issues could be causing it? And what could that underlying issue be?

I´m thinking the infection in combination with the depression and sleep maybe?

I will absolutely keep this post updated on what I find.

• Like Like x 1
    21. fishbone
      Shitfaced

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Yes, infections, depression, sleep issues, gland issues..any issues in general can impact tinnitus and make it more horrible. Infections can take quite a while to get better as well. Tinnitus is a touchy touchy thing and it can be annoyed by many different things.

Some people will ride it out, with infections and it can take much longer to heal. Some will get meds and it can possibly raise the tinnitus. It's a choice only you can make....

• Agree Agree x 1
    22. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Makrohn
      Supportive

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thanks for your thoughts and input, it really mean a lot.

I simply refuse to believe that this "spike" or change that I am experiencing, is just some random thing. In my 20 years of T I have never experienced this though.. but on the other hand, I have never experienced a depression either.
      All though I have been thinking a lot about what I eat, I really dont think that is an issue here... Before my anxiety kicked in this summer, I drank several cups of coffee daily, I drank coke/Pepsi regularly, ate sugar and fast food without it doing anything with my T. I stopped drinking/eating this when my GP told me it could help with anxiety..

Hopefully, this just needs some time. Fingers crossed.... And the fact that it does fluctuate gives me hope. It is lower now than when I posted this thread.

23. fishbone
      Shitfaced

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I'm here for you buddy. If you need support you can always pm me :)

• Friendly Friendly x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    24. Niko

Niko Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Nightclub
      Just casual music. It wasn't that loud, I measured it afterwards with an Android app.

The funny thing is that I only used them for 20 minutes. I have before listened many times using headphones for hours without any complication. Just one of those days when your T. decided to ruin my life for ever.

25. Maureen777

Maureen777 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Listening to loud music w earbuds & recent ear irrigation
      Thank you everyone for all your posts. They’re all so helpful. I’ve been reading this site for a long time, but finally decided to sign up. A couple of months ago, my tinnitus got worse. It spikes sometimes, and lately I think it is because of anxiety/stress. It’s a constant battle trying to figure out what exactly makes it worse. Two nights ago, it was so loud that I couldn’t sleep, only got 4 hours sleep. But last night I felt more relaxed and less stressed, so it was quieter and I was able to sleep. So I’m pretty sure there is a stress connection to louder tinnitus.

• Like Like x 1
    26. JurgenG
      Approved

JurgenG Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise exposure / headphone accident maybe?
      You were listening for hours when you already had tinnitus, or that was before?
      Did your ears start ringing instantly after those 20 min?

27. Niko

Niko Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Nightclub
      I had been listening to headphones many times without any issues, but not this time, just after 20 min my T. increased, I got that feeling "Oh noo" and is now like that permanent.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2017
      • Hug Hug x 1
    28. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Makrohn
      Supportive

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Welcome to this forum @Maureen777.
      I am sorry to hear you also suffer from worsened T like myself. I hope you are able to get some relief soon and that both our T goes back to baseline again. Stress is indeed something that makes T worse, so keeping low stress levels and coping with anxiety is absolutely something you may benefit from.

• Like Like x 1
    29. Maureen777

Maureen777 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Listening to loud music w earbuds & recent ear irrigation
      Thanks for the welcome! I look forward to reading yours and other members future posts :)

• Like Like x 1
    30. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Makrohn
      Supportive

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Wow... Now, I just dont know what to think or feel.

This night my T just skyrocketed, waking me up several times during my sleep, which I never before experienced.
      It´s not just a new sound, it is almost like a complete change in tone, pitch, intensity and general behaviour.I
      I recently had an MRI done with focus on the inner ear and they found nothing.

I am starting to get worried :(

• Hug Hug x 2