My Tinnitus Is Suddenly Worsening

Discussion in 'Support' started by Makrohn, Dec 12, 2017.

1. Benoves

Benoves Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      26-9-2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknow possibly noise trauma
      What kind of infection do you have had in your mouth? My whole tongue is yellow and armpits are red since onset of Tinnitus. Thinking of Candida Can this have an influence? Since i'm on diet i think it is a little better but tongue is yellow.. When does this get better?

2. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Makrohn
      Supportive

Makrohn Member Benefactor Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hearing loss - Explosion - Stress
      Well, I´m not really sure since my doctor did not give me any diagnosis on it. I had large red areas in my mouth, both my palate and my inner cheeks were affected. I did not have much pain, but it was uncomfortable. It disappeared in a week or so. My tongue how ever has been a little sore after, but this is also better now.

• Hug Hug x 1
    3. Benoves

Benoves Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      26-9-2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknow possibly noise trauma
      Hope you get better

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    4. Maureen777

Maureen777 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Listening to loud music w earbuds & recent ear irrigation
      I just saw your post now. I hope your tinnitus has gone down in volume since your post.

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Makrohn
      Supportive

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I am very happy to sat that I am doing much much better now that the infection has gone. My body is still weak, and I have some work to do, but I really did not expect the T to go back to base, but it is almost there :)

• Like Like x 3
    6. Maureen777

Maureen777 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Listening to loud music w earbuds & recent ear irrigation
      Oh, that's good to hear. Mine is at a bearable volume lately.

7. Joe Bananas
      No Mood

Joe Bananas Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Really happy for you. I am doing a research in here as I am experiencing a substantial worsening of mine.
      First days of january I experienced an increase in the volume at the same time as I was going through a mild flu. Flu went away and tinnitus went back to baseline. After that my tinnitus has been fluctuating as usual (it has done so since it started due to a loud noise exposure) going from a loud unmaskable white noise perceived in the neck area to a lower volume pure tone really easy to be ignored. Sleep definitely triggers the change and I wake up to a different T every day. Two weeks now in which my good days are the ones that before were the worst ones. I am really worried about being at the beginning of a new normal being this my new T volume. I don't smoke, have plenty of sleep, do exercise, eat healthily, etc... Can't track a reason.

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Makrohn
      Supportive

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @Joe Bananas

Well, since that post, things have gradually gotten worse again and my T is back to being terrible, especially in my right ear. Since it came back I really just hit rock bottom and I have not been doing anything to even try to make it go down again, other than getting enough sleep. But even that doesn't help much.. like you I wake up to a different T every day and it fluctuates like crazy during the day. I would like to say that noise makes it worse, and that never happened before. My personal opinion is that I have been under so much mental stress and the T also creates stress that my mind is just really exhausted making the T louder and more reactive. I will be looking into some techniques and supplements soon, just to be doing something.

I hope you T goes back to base, right now that is what I pray for myself.

• Like Like x 2
    9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Makrohn
      Supportive

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Status update, readers advisory - negative post

My T still keeps tormenting me, and I fail to cope as good as I should do, even after all these years.
      I really thought that the mental and physical stress last year, was the cause of my T worsening. But now, since things are much better mentally and physically, I am not so sure anymore. Of course, I could be adding stress that I am unaware of, by thinking about my T and obsessing over it. I am having some serious trouble in coping and my quality of life is just on a downward spiral. Sleep is not an issue, it is everyday life I am struggling with and keeping positive about the future. I have 2 wonderful children and a very understanding and supportive wife, but I am merely just a shadow of myself and it crushes me. At the same time, I feel so alone suffering from both moderate/severe hearing loss and severe T at the same time. I'm really not sure what I want with this post... perhaps just vent out my thoughts and feeling or something. I apologise for the negativity, but I keep ending up in this dark hole and I hope someone has a solution for it.

• Hug Hug x 6
    10. Joe Bananas
      No Mood

Joe Bananas Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      @Makrohn How are you doing these days, mate?

• Funny Funny x 1
    11. Shadowboxer

Shadowboxer Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      Hey Makrohn, I hope you're doing well and I look forward to hearing back from you here.

I know that at times you can feel so alone, isolated. but you are definitely not alone. There are a lot of us going through it with you the same.

A few things I want to touch on, I've only had tinnitus for just over 2 years, but sadly, it has gotten worse as the time passes. How it continues to get worse is a mystery.

I got my tinnitus from a rock festival, where I spent (quite literally) 13 hours 2ft from a set of 30 gigantic industrial speakers spitting out hardcore music at 140 dB for the entire day. I havent always made the best choices, but that was undoubtedly the worst mistake ive ever made. My tinnitus and hearing loss is pretty bad.

You said you had an MRI. Even with the best hearing protection an MRI can still register at peaks of 100+ decibels. That is a possible cause of your spike.

Also using headphones, imo, is not a very good idea, in any case, low or high volume. And CERTAINLY not in ear headphones. No way. Simply not worth it. I hope for your sanity you'll reconsider using them.

Another consideration I've found, driving long distances, depending on the cab, can be upward of 85 dB. If you drive 3 or 4 hours, this duration could also be a cause for a spike, and more hearing damage. I wear 17NRR plugs while I drive.

But during your day when life seems tough, and I know it does, try and find some small peace knowing that you are not alone, and that I, and plenty of others are somewhere, going through the same (or close to) thing. It's very difficult sometimes to put into perspective, but try and be grateful that you still have the hearing left that you do have.

It's not always easy hear (woe is me), but things truly could be much worse.

• Like Like x 2
    12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Makrohn
      Supportive

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hey!

Sorry bout the late reply, but I have not been on this site for a while.
      I am happy to say that I am doing much better, both mentally and with the tinnitus.. It is still there, but it has settled and is now more stable than it was, making it easier to cope with. I can just hope it will stay this way.

Hi!

I am sorry to hear that you have fallen on to this path of tinnitus and hearing loss. It seems like you are coping OK with the situation, and I hope the tinnitus will settle and become stable for as well.

My spike came before I had the MRI and I am not able to use headphones bc of my hearing loss. I have not been using headphones for almost 8 yrs. So I am pretty sure my spike was caused by extreme levels of stress, anxiety and just obsessing over it each and every day.

My way out of it was to meditate 2 times a day, talk long walks, eat clean and just stick with that program no matter how loud my tinnitus was. I almost lost my mind at some point, but here I am, still alive and coping well with it.

Thank you for your kind words, I really appreciate it! Take care mate

• Winner Winner x 3
      • Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    13. Elfin
      Wishful

Elfin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2004
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud concert
      @Makrohn you legend!

Glad you are doing better my friend!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    14. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Makrohn
      Supportive

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Elfin, you have been on my mind more than once. Hope you are doing well my firend!

Wish you all the best :huganimation:

15. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Makrohn
      Supportive

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      One and a half year since my last post, but here I am again with my T slamming me down to the ground .
      After recovering and habituating to the new sound 2 years ago, my right ear has "gone mad" once again.

It happened just like that. In a moment, it hit me with ear-fullness and a static hum almost two weeks ago.
      I were, and still is, hoping this is just a temporary spike, but each day is a test and every morning I wake up, wondering if it's still there.

Been trying to figuere out some explanation on why now, but there is no obvious reason.
      Well, "good" to be back here on the forum at least, I always find much comfort here.

• Hug Hug x 5
      • Like Like x 1
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    16. MindOverMatter

MindOverMatter Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown (possibly stress related, and later sound induced)
      I know the feeling Makrohn. Once you think it's all under control, it suddenly strikes back - sometimes with no obvious reason.

This is actually my first post on TT forum, but I've been a passive user (reader) for some time though. And I'm not a newcommer to tinnitus having had it for more than 15 years (+ mild hearing loss), but hyperacusis (no pain) and reactivity is fairly new to me as I have only had it for about 8 months. Slowly getting better - 2 steps forward, 1 step back.

To me, in order to "heal", acceptance and time is key. Accepting tinnitus is there, but avoid as best possible to give tinnitus too much negative associations as this will only reinforce your own negative emotions towards it. Thus going in to a stressful fight-or-flight mode.

Anyways, I have read many of your posts, and I can relate to your story and a lot of what you write. How is your reactivity these days?

I saw you had success with meditation, CBT and sound therapy earlier - and a positive mindset:

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/thread...val-of-reactivity-is-it-possible.26252/page-2

I believe as you, that reactive tinnitus has a lot to do with stress, and that it is a kind of subcategory of hyperacusis. For me, the reactivity was at its worst in the acute phase of H, and it is slowly getting better with handling stress and using soothing sound enrichment on a low volume - avoiding as best possible any sounds that still feel harsh to my ears. Typically tinny sound from TV, laptop speakers, mobile etc.

All the best from a fellow Norwegian.

• Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    17. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Makrohn
      Supportive

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Dear @MindOverMatter

Yes, this condition never cease to surprise me in how it behaves and affects me from time to time.
      Having T since 1996 you should think I would have zero issues with it, but the reality is different and I often think about how much it is draining my levels of energy. Being hearing impaired as well makes it even more difficult to cope.

Last time I had a major change in my T, I really thought I would lose my mind and end it all. But, doing daily meditation, taking walks, avoiding stress and following a sugar-reduced diet made it all calm down. I really dont know what specific made it go down, but probably a combination of different things.
      Of course I have not managed to maintain this lifestyle, and perhaps the current situation is my body and brain telling me I need to calm down and make some changes again.

Sometimes I find myself doubting that increased levels of T is caused by stress because I dont FEEL stressed. But, I know there is a difference in mental and physical stress, and the mental stress might be harder to identify because having T, sort of puts your mind under constant stress and you kinda get used to it being the "normal".

I hope you are doing well my friend, and please do not hesitate to reach out if you want to talk more and in private.

All the best,

Marius

• Hug Hug x 4
      • Like Like x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    18. friend74
      Doubtful

friend74 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Music
      My tinnitus also 'exploded' since a major dentist treatment last Autumn. And it feels like getting worse from week to week. Sleep issues and developing anxiety/depressing issues don't help either. At the moment coping feels very hard.

A few months ago I visited a doctor 'specialized in tinnitus. I think it was most mostly CBT. But he gave me some meditation exercises that would bring me to sleep without external sounds. That felt good at least for maybe 2 weeks. But it didn't stop my tinnitus getting worse. I'm not able to sleep through the whole night.

So why? The dentist? The sleep issues? Anxiety? Or is my hearing steadily going down so that the tinnitus feels louder? I don't know... :(

• Hug Hug x 3
      • Informative Informative x 1
    19. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Makrohn
      Supportive

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Dear @friend74

I am sorry to hear about your T getting worse from the dentist treatment. Unfortunately, your story is not the only one I've heard about visiting the dentist. Some people practice a tecnique were the dentist does 5 seconds drilling then 10 seconds pause. But this demands a dentist with a lot of time, patience and understanding.

The ting with T, from my own personal experience is that it will change and fluctuate in many different ways, due to many different reasons we dont know yet. But, lets start with the obvious, damaging sounds and good quality sleep/rest. Getting control of those two things, I personaly believe will do anyone good. Far to often I read about tinnitus sufferers using headphones or ear-buds exposing their ears for even more harmfull noise.

The second thing with T is that habituation, takes time. A LOT of time.
      You have to be patient, and stick with the "program". Like you, I have had good results with mediation, and I certainly will pick this up again this time.

Third, my personal believe, is that T in relations with anxiety and or stress is a bad spiral each feeding of one another. Increased levels of noise without any good explanation, is (again in my personal experience) the result of parts of the brain being over stimulated over time. So, the key is, get the mind to calm down, and the T will eventually calm down also. This is no magic cure, but plain logic imho.

I hope you stay strong and take care of yourself mate, get help with the sleep and anxiety, prefferable without any meds or AD's and you will take control again at some poing.

• Like Like x 2
      • Hug Hug x 1
    20. morgothaod

morgothaod Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      Do you have an ear infection?

21. Greg Sacramento

Greg Sacramento Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing + Somatic tinnitus from dental work
      @friend74 Hi Mike: Can't say that dental noise isn't reason or in part for T increase. If so, most likely you had noticed a difference within minutes to a couple of hours after leaving dentist. Hyperacusis would have developed. If an ear infection developed then it may be from having crowns placed - infection process of jaw/ear nerves.

Try cool compresses under ear and over jaw. Rinse a washcloth under cool water and apply for a minute. Do this a few times for a couple of days. If you then wake up in the morning with less tinnitus, as the jaw being less active, then Penicillin V may help.

• Like Like x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    22. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Makrohn
      Supportive

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @morgothaod

Wish I did have an ear infection, that would have been a good reason for this spike. But no, I get my ears regularly checked up when I visit my audiologist. I think this is stress induced in combination with poor sleeping pattern over time.

• Hug Hug x 2
    23. LilSass
      Loved

LilSass Member

Tinnitus Since:
      November 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Likely ototoxic medication
      Hi @Makrohn ! Sorry to hear about your set back. I'm seven months in and finding it very challenging. I hope things get better! :)

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    24. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Makrohn
      Supportive

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hi there @LilSass

Thank you for taking time sending me your support and thoughts :)

Being a long-time tinnitus sufferer, I am pretty sure you will be coping better than you do right now. Seven months is a long time in general, but not that long when it comes to habituation and tinnitus. May I ask what your are doing to cope and relax? Tinnitus can really eat you up from inside, and unfortunately, obsessing over it really just makes it harder to cope with it. I hope you have found some strategies and knowledge to take the edge of it, or you might find something or someone on this forum. :huganimation:

• Hug Hug x 1
    25. LilSass
      Loved

LilSass Member

Tinnitus Since:
      November 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thank you for your kind words @Makrohn
      Unfortunately I also experience migraines - the pain exceeds the t. I'm going thru a healing process right now. I'm seeing an upper cervical chiro as my migraines are related to muscle strain caused by a subluxation. I'm not sure when this pain will end - I hope soon. I'm sure that things will get better, just gotta be patient I guess. Here's to a better future!

• Hug Hug x 1
    26. Bill Arsenault

Bill Arsenault Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Permanent/Highly intrusive since 2017.
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Over Exposure. Worsened by ototoxic Street Drugs/Meds.
      You guys are the best- supporting each other and talking things thru.
      I got all the support I needed tonight just from reading your conversation.
      Best wishes to all and try to have a good one.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    27. LilSass
      Loved

LilSass Member

Tinnitus Since:
      November 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @Makrohn
      Have you considered that the change in your t might be due to natural hearing loss from aging? I think this is quite likely why some people's t gets worse after such a long time of no change. At 45 it concerns me that mine may get worse, but I really hope it doesn't. This sucks :(

• Hug Hug x 1
    28. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Makrohn
      Supportive

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I have a genetic hearing loss that causes my hearing to gradually get worse, I'm about 50-60% deaf now at age 40. But, my father, has the same condition, and at nearly 75 he "never" experienced tinnitus, even though he's been working on noisy construction-sites all his life. He is nearly deaf though, but he is as happy as ever despite this.

I understand your concern, but also remember, concerning about things never makes the outcome any different. In worst case, it just makes it harder to cope with. So be kind to yourself, and dont let what CAN happen be your arrow in life with tinnitus. :huganimation:

And we have to keep hoping for a cure, or at least some sort of realief. I'm cheering for science (y)

• Like Like x 2
      • Hug Hug x 1
    29. Ctw
      Tired

Ctw Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Mine has worsened greatly in the last few weeks.

• Hug Hug x 3
      • Agree Agree x 1
    30. friend74
      Doubtful

friend74 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Music
      Hi Greg, thanks for your thoughts. I think I noticed it a few hours later. At least my right ear tinnitus caught up with my left. But no real problems with hyperacusis. Indeed I got 3 new crowns.

Do you think I should try the compresses anyway, even after that long time?

@Makrohn sorry, don't mean to hijack your thread.

• Like Like x 1