My Tinnitus Is Suddenly Worsening

Discussion in 'Support' started by Makrohn, Dec 12, 2017.

1. Greg Sacramento

Greg Sacramento Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing + Somatic tinnitus from dental work
      @friend74 Often with either neck and/or jaw associated tinnitus, cause is from muscle tension with nerve fibers pressing on jaw joints or c spine - moving these hard surfaces that then pressure other nerves, veins or arteries. Joints of either neck or jaw may have been getting weak before hand from posture issues. So issues from this would be a form of whiplash that's somatic in nature.

For some there's is so much other stuff to consider besides whiplash-c spine/jaw pressure to a bad wisdom tooth-infection and if there's hearing loss (how much) hyperacusis or muffled ears. Whatever the problem is, trauma must be established for treatment.

For TMJ/D, a mouth guard may help, if there's no other problems of mouth that could include hundreds of things.

Most important for TMJ/D is mouth posture. Not to open mouth too wide for too long and having the lower jaw not pushed forward. This is needed not to over stretch muscles. A controlled tongue is also important.

Cool moist compresses - a washcloth rinsed in cold water may help. Magnesium - 1/3 tablet taken three times a day not taken at the same time as other meds may help. A multi vitamin one or twice a week. Vitamin levels should be tested. One full magnesium tablet and a multi vitamin should be taken one hour before dental work or when going to a noisy place where hearing protection can't be always used.

Cold applications (ice pack wrapped in a towel) – can help with the swelling and inflammation.
      Warm applications (compress or heated towel) – can help to relax the constricted muscles of the jaw

The best to you.

• Informative Informative x 1
    2. LilSass
      Loved

LilSass Member

Tinnitus Since:
      November 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Likely ototoxic medication
      @Makrohn
      Sorry to hear about your situation - in your case it seems like there is very little you can do. My t is due to migraine meds the dr gave me - I know it's not really my fault but I feel like I could've done something to prevent it. Either way I'm dealing with it now, and that's all I can do. I do miss my life before all of this shit.

• Genius Genius x 1
    3. Forever hopeful
      Disappointed

Forever hopeful Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2015 resolved, 4/20 L ear, increase 2/21
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      2015,noise,2020-21 SNHL
      @Greg Sacramento,

Is your tinnitus caused by TMJ or neck issues? My ENT thinks my bilateral tinnitus sounds maybe TMJ related. I end up getting a lot of pain in my ears and according to my ENT, your ears rarely cause you pain unless you have an infection or something, which I do not have. But TMJ pain can be experienced as if it is in the ear. Jaws are often on the sore side. My jaws are tight and it’s hard to open my mouth wide. Lots of popping and cracking.

I also have developed major neck problems. Partly due to horrific posture since COVID-19 and being forced to work from home. I’m in physical therapy for my neck. But it still hurts and my ears are still ring.

Just wondering what your experience has been and whether or not a mouthguard helped you? The mouthguard is my next step.

Thanks in advance.

• Hug Hug x 1
    4. CAgirl

CAgirl Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      3 M80 Firecrackers
      Hi Makrohn-can I ask you what your genetic hearing loss is? I have one copy of the GJB2 gene mutation, also called Connexin 26. I often wonder if this is why I am pre-disposed to tinnitus. Interestingly, although I must have inherited it from one of my parents, neither one has tinnitus or significant hearing loss. (I am in my early 40s and they are in their mid-70s). It didn’t come out of the blue for me though, was caused by an acoustic trauma/blast injury.

5. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

DebInAustralia Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Hi there,

I presume you've had another audiogram (extended)?

If you have any (neuro) inflammation, give curcumin a try (take a look at the threads) and consider low dose naltrexone. I'd be throwing nicotinamide riboside at it too.

Would you share how you meditate please?

6. BobDigi
      Kick ass

BobDigi Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      Yes mine was stable for 5 years. Then it got suddenly louder. Give it 8 weeks.

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Makrohn
      Supportive

Makrohn Member Benefactor Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hearing loss - Explosion - Stress
      Hi there!

Actually I dont know what type of genetic hearing loss I suffer from. All I know is that my great grandfather had it, probably gave the mutation to his daughter (my grandmother) and she passed it on to my father and 3 of his brothers. The hearing loss is often called cookie-bite loss because of the shape on the audiogram. My father is almost deaf, he is now 73, and I just turned 40 and have a loss in both ears about 60-70db. My father does not suffer from tinnitus, but him and me lived completely different life and in a different time.

My T also first appeared after an acoustic trauma when I was 16.

• Hug Hug x 3
      • Genius Genius x 1
    8. Tanni
      Devilish

Tanni Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      October 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ???
      Think you answered your own question :)

You can totally show symptoms of stress without feeling stressed mentally -- it's your body expressing what your mind isn't expressing. And it is such a stressful time at the moment, it's no wonder we're all suffering!

Hope you feel better soon.

• Like Like x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    9. Vicki14
      Panicky

Vicki14 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress
      You don’t know that for sure!!!

10. Alexx Hermánn

Alexx Hermánn Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drums practice without ear protection
      On my second week of tinnitus spike. Can’t wait for it to settle down to baseline.