My Tinnitus Keeps Disappearing Then Returns

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Doopy259, Apr 7, 2017.

1. Doopy259

Doopy259 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Feb 3, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Rock concert, ear infection, sinus infection
      Hi everyone I am new to this forum, thank you for having me. I have had tinnitus since Feb 3, 2017 (9 weeks today as I'm writing this) when my band played a rock show.

I ALWAYS wear ear protection (foam ear plugs 33db) except for this time. My ears kept adjusting to the volume and I didn't think anything of it.

My ear rang the next day, and the next, and the next... that's when I went to my GP. She said it was most likely from the sound level but I also have a right ear infection, fluid in both ears, sinus infection and upper respotory congestion.

Apparently I didn't know I was sick when I was on stage. The ringing got worse and I went into panic mode. I saw 2 different ENT's that week, an audiologist and an acupuncturist. Each said it was from the loud music but the 2 hearing tests I took from my ENT and audiologist said I had no hearing loss.

The first three weeks were a nightmare. I couldn't work, sleep or eat. I went 96 hours with no sleep in fear of waking to a worse sound and 72 hours with no nutrition - only water. I was paranoid as if anything I put in my body would make it worse.

After devoting hours and hours of research online, I began eating again but this time it was foods that aren't know to aggravate T. I dropped 30lbs in the first 4 weeks (I was 70lbs overweight). The weight kept coming off and I've never felt healthier and more sick at the same time. After 9 weeks I am down 45lbs and my body has never felt better besides having T. Not I don't know if it's T spikes or panic attacks or what, but every once in a while by head is filled with pressure, my ears scream and my heart races.

My therapist (psychologist) has me doing breathing exercises and grounding myself to get past the anxiety which really helps. If you are a sufferer and not seeing someone for support, I highly recommend it.

So the last few days my T would completely stop to the point where I would check on it to make sure (which I promised myself I would never do) and sure enough it disappears for short periods of time - maybe 10-15 min at a time. I'm not complaining. Part of me feels like there is an inner or middle ear thing going on behind the scenes that the Dr's can't see. Maybe that's why I have all this pressure in back of my head and in my forehead.

In the early stages I have broken down three times. Once to my wife, once in front of my second ENT who said I was going to be fine and one in front of the CVS Pharmacist when I was explaining to her that I couldn't sleep. Right there in the middle of the aisle.

My life has now adjusted to T and I am coping much better. I do feel like each day leads me closer to recovery or even habituation.

After a rough night last night, I woke up to silence. I turned off my sound machine, air conditioner and iPhone white noise app and it was amazing. I have friends that have T and say it gets better over time. Months, even years. I'm a little impatient I guess.

But like I said, I am happy with little victories as it gives me hope for a recovery into the future. I don't even have a problem with waiting 6 months, it's the not knowing part that stirs up my anxiety.

So if any of you are like me, just know that there could be something working behind the scenes in your head that could lead to a recovery or habituation. Your body was not created to suffer and it knows this. Let's give it more time.

Lots of prayers to you all!

• Like Like x 2
      • Hug Hug x 1
    2. Amber
      Depressed

Amber Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/1999
      Thank you for the uplifting post.

3. Jenni8619
      Inspired

Jenni8619 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Welcome to the forum!

Thank you for sharing your experience so far with t :) I needed to read an uplifting post tonight, so thank you again!

Jenni

4. Raphael7713
      Alone

Raphael7713 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      January 14, 2017.
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure
      My T always disappears and returns also, but it is not matter of minutes, but days and weeks. Very strange.

5. Kolisar
      No Mood

Kolisar Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      birth?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      @Raphael7713 , I am very happy for you that your tinnitus goes away for periods of time. That is probably a very good sign and I wish you a speedy recovery.

Thank you for the positive and uplifting post. I will serve as a point of hope for many who read it.