My Tinnitus Loudness Has Doubled/Tripled After Trying High THC Medical Marijuana

Discussion in 'Support' started by sayitshay, Jun 4, 2019.

1. sayitshay

sayitshay Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud concert
      I'm new here. I've had tinnitus for 3 years now from a concert I went to. I tried high THC medical marijuana oil a week and a half ago and ever since my tinnitus has doubled or tripled from what I am used to. I am so devastated.

I've been researching every night and I've been losing sleep, panicking. I have not been exposed to any noise. I took the oil, fell asleep, and woke up May 26th with intense tinnitus and it has yet to get better. Someone please give me guidance... I'm only 20 years old and I feel like my life is over and ruined. It's so loud, nothing is really masking it.

• Hug Hug x 10
      • Useful Useful x 1
    2. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      What were you trying to cure?
      It is possible that your spike is temporary. Temporary spikes can take over three months to clear. If your T doesn't begin fading within the next month or so, it might make sense to worry about your spike being permanent. Until that time, I think you can assume that this is temporary.

But do learn from your mistake and don't use that stuff again.

• Like Like x 3
    3. Jack Straw
      Balanced

Jack Straw Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      1990s
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Infection, Acoustic Trauma
      I have a feeling it will go down! Try to relax if you can and stay away from weed seeing that it did this to you.

You should look into CBD only products with no THC. THC is known to exacerbate tinnitus temporarily just like caffeine, but I have never heard of CBD doing so.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    4. leftearguy

leftearguy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/10/20
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Weed, Hidden Hearing Loss
      Screenshot 2020-05-14 at 13.47.42.png

• Funny Funny x 2
    5. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Given that @sayitshay never came back, I'm going to go with "tinnitus went back to normal for them and they probably swore off weed forever."
      I don't know what's going on with that person but weed, in general, is safer than it has ever been because it is being grown legally in the US and lab tested in many markets.

There are a bunch of red flags in that post that make me think this person is a little unbalanced. Certainly, THC is a strong psychoactive drug, and anything that can provoke dramatic, seriously adverse or beneficial psychological effects, will have some impact on you after the effect of the drug has worn off.

This person is conflating THC with LSD for some reason, which is very strange since they are very very different drugs with different risk profiles. Also, knowing a lot about DP/DR, drug use and specifically hallucinogens are a risk factor, but I've met more people who had DP/DR episodes without drugs than with, and I also know far more people who experimented to some extent with THC and LSD and had no lasting effects at all from them.

So, not really sure what to make of that post except "some people probably shouldn't take drugs at all, and when they do, they might post some sort of unbalanced stuff on reddit". Also anyone who thinks THC is totally safe and has no risks has been deluding themselves or doesn't understand what drugs are.

edit: I could not help but go and find that thread to see what the responses looked like; I quite agree with this person:

KPSRFU2l.jpg

I'd only counter that there has been this awareness, for a long time. The problem is that the drug war massively overestimated the risks of marijuana. This led people to not believe anything the government or their doctors were telling them about pot, which gave some people the rope they needed to intellectually hang themselves, going all the way to "pot is completely harmless".

Nothing is completely harmless and I am sure that people, especially children and teenagers, who use marijuana a lot, have altered risk profiles for all kinds of things. Also, it's very easy to buy cannabis cartridges now that are >95% THC; to someone with no tolerance, one small inhalation of a product like that is enough to lead to severe anxiety, tachycardia, etc. On the other hand, hardheads like me can vape it all afternoon. I don't pretend it's good for me; I just accept that it's legal and basically free for me, and I enjoy life more with it than without, so if there's a price to be paid, I am paying it knowingly.

6. object16
      Magical

object16 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      overuse of hearing protection, plus noise
      I take very tiny doses of edible, such as 0.5g of a brownie. A 1.0g dose will create a temporary spike.

CBD tincture is also helpful in my experience, just be aware that a small amount is good, but twice as much is NOT twice as good, and for me, any amount of vaped THC is quite bad, but the spike will really last no more than 12 hours from THC. So my advice is take tiny amounts only.

There is no magic cure, currently I have a friend that is growing out some CBG which is completely different, I believe the seed development is using gene sequencing. CBG will be ready for me in around 3 months and then I will report on my cannabis thread.

In the meantime, the first time I had a THC spike it went for days and days and I thought it was all over. But it does go away. I really am adverse to THC generally, long term is not a good plan, however, CBD is completely different, and now we even have THC-V and CBD-V so the gene sequencing is providing results, and more to experiment with.

7. Salmonz

Salmonz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Accutane
      Hey, has this come down? Please let us know of any update.

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    8. Sayeed

Sayeed Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      4/1/21
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unsure
      I'm hoping it has since she hasn't been online for a while. I've got the same issue. I think.

9. Ecip

Ecip Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Still unknown... possibly noise exposure?
      THC will also cause me to spike. I do try to avoid it, but I do take CBD oil or smoke CBD cigarettes sometimes, and they seem to have no effect on my tinnitus.

Like you I'm also experiencing a spike right now. I've started taking corticosteroids again for a couple/few days as it seems to usually lower the intensity and intrusiveness during a spike. Your ENT is correct that it is somehow related to inflammation... not sure how though.

Get lots of rest, rest your ears, eat well and exercise/go for walks in nature. Listen to the birds, the wind, the water.

EDIT: Oh, just realized she hasn't logged on in almost 2 years lol. Well, hope you're feeling much better.

10. Salmonz

Salmonz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Accutane
      I am someone who never smokes and was a first time edible user. I had too many by mistake and greened out. My tinnitus got super loud and it took like 2 full days for the high to go away (for getting back to full coordination and feeling mostly normal again). So it hit pretty hard and was a bad experience overall.

It’s been a month and I think my tinnitus has remained slightly more elevated than usual. If it was a 2 out of 10 before, now it’s a 3.5 out of 10. So not horrible, but when I have my head on my pillow at night, I hear the high pitched tones which I used to not hear as much.

Has anyone generally experienced a longer time (over a month) to get back to baseline? Or if it’s been this way for a month, is it likely just the new normal?

I’m sad that weed seemingly has caused a permanent damage to me since I had thought it was relatively safe

11. DT_N_DA_CLUB

DT_N_DA_CLUB Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2011
      It will calm down for you.

12. Branyan
      Ape-like

Branyan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      C1,C2 Misalignment/TMD
      Marijuana lowers my tinnitus greatly (temporarily).