My Tinnitus Loudness Has Doubled/Tripled After Trying High THC Medical Marijuana

Discussion in 'Support' started by sayitshay, Jun 4, 2019.

1. sayitshay

sayitshay Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud concert
      I'm new here. I've had tinnitus for 3 years now from a concert I went to. I tried high THC medical marijuana oil a week and a half ago and ever since my tinnitus has doubled or tripled from what I am used to. I am so devastated.

I've been researching every night and I've been losing sleep, panicking. I have not been exposed to any noise. I took the oil, fell asleep, and woke up May 26th with intense tinnitus and it has yet to get better. Someone please give me guidance... I'm only 20 years old and I feel like my life is over and ruined. It's so loud, nothing is really masking it.

• Hug Hug x 4
    2. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      What were you trying to cure?
      It is possible that your spike is temporary. Temporary spikes can take over three months to clear. If your T doesn't begin fading within the next month or so, it might make sense to worry about your spike being permanent. Until that time, I think you can assume that this is temporary.

But do learn from your mistake and don't use that stuff again.

• Like Like x 2
    3. fishbone
      Shitfaced

fishbone Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud noise and very bad sickness
      I'm sorry that you are feeling this way. If this happened to me, i'd just let my system try to heal and go back to normal. Even though your tinnitus is louder and more annoying try to remain calm. I know it's hard to do but i'd try that. I had 2 new noises/tones a few days ago due to stress and getting my hair cut and vacuums running everywhere.

It was 1 new high pitch sound and another low tone. I just kept my emotions together and one of the tones is gone and the other is less intense. If you need to possibly make use of low sound enrichment, it helps the brain to hear another noise besides the tinnitus.

Good luck!

4. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      April /1996
      HI @sayitshay

Do you listen to music through headphones regularly? If you do then I advise you not to even at low volume. Please click on the links below and read my posts, as the information might be of some help.

Tinnitus should not be masked or attempted to be covered up with sound. Try to avoid sleeping in a quiet room, at night use sound enrichment as this helps the brain not to focus on the tinnitus as much. More information is in the links below.

All the best
      Michael

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/new-to-tinnitus-what-to-do.12558/
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/tinnitus-a-personal-view.18668/
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/hyperacusis-as-i-see-it.19174/

• Like Like x 1
    5. Flyingsheep
      Sheepish

Flyingsheep Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      The spike will most likely go down. I know it feels terrible going through this but I can assure you that your life is not over. The first time I started getting spikes I thought everything was over. Now, I still get them but even if it takes a week, I can usually expect it to go back down to baseline and so far it always has. I've noticed that they don't last as long if I don't get worried or anxious, so maybe it's still loud due to anxiety. Hope that helps.

6. another sean
      Studious

another sean Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Long duration of low audio
      I tried smoking medicinal marijuana one time and it spiked my tinnitus within an hour to double or triple levels as well. won't be doing that again. It sounded like a 10 piece orchestra of tea kettles. It subsided about 5 hours later. so I feel yours will eventually subside as well. Yours is probably spiking for so long because you took oil and didn't smoke anything. Oil is fat soluble and can get stored I your body fat for days so its gonna take time for your body to metabolize that oil from your fat cells. I've taken other supplements that would get stored in my fat and cause a reaction for days. When that happened I tried burning fat by bordering ketosis and upping my metabolism so that it gets out of my system quicker.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      sayitshay

sayitshay Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud concert
      My doctor recommended it for anxiety... so stupid... as it has now made my life a million times worse.

• Hug Hug x 1
    8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      sayitshay

sayitshay Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud concert
      I hope mine is temporary. Im really scared. It's been over a week though... so I'm freaking out about it being permanent/my new baseline.

• Hug Hug x 3
    9. Robert Aleman

Robert Aleman Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      Do you also have hyperacusis? For me that's always been much worse than the tinnitus.

10. JohnAdams
      Starving

JohnAdams Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      it started.
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      hearing loss
      Just take it easy, get some good sleep, and hopefully it will go back down.

11. Rafaa

Rafaa Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Who knows? I have Patulous ET and ETD + Other things
      It will go back down. 7 years with tinnitus here, try not to panic as that will make it last longer. The oil will have done no damage to your hearing.

12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      sayitshay

sayitshay Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud concert
      I just wonder how long this will take. It's been over a week now.

13. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      sayitshay

sayitshay Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud concert
      Update

I went to see my ENT today, June 5th. He prescribed prednisone. I took it when I first got my tinnitus 3 years ago. I don't know what the point of taking it again is. He says it could help with possible inflammation... We'll see...

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    14. JohnAdams
      Starving

JohnAdams Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      it started.
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      hearing loss
      Well I've only heard of THC causing temporary spikes. I never heard of a permanent spike from it.

15. Jack Straw
      Balanced

Jack Straw Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      1990s
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Infection, Acoustic Trauma
      I have a feeling it will go down! Try to relax if you can and stay away from weed seeing that it did this to you.

You should look into CBD only products with no THC. THC is known to exacerbate tinnitus temporarily just like caffeine, but I have never heard of CBD doing so.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    16. Tex

Tex Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Exposure
    17. Flyingsheep
      Sheepish

Flyingsheep Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I don't smoke or anything but I've tried THC once, and all it did was induce insane paranoia. Most people I've talked to say that it tends to up their anxiety. So strange that your doctor thought it would help.

CBD oil would make sense though. Some friend gave me a bottle of edible CBD gummies and I've been taking two a day just to experiment. I feel a calming effect and my tinnitus spikes die off much faster (like 30 minutes). I get multiple spikes throughout the day, where tinnitus goes from mild to high-moderate where I can hear it through anything. Normally they can take up to a day to resolve.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    18. ChrisBoyMonkey

ChrisBoyMonkey Member Podcast Patron

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      U.S. Army/Field Artillery Veteran
      From what I've read marijuana just makes it sound worse, but it seems to usually be temporary. As for anxiety, what I use when I have to is Buspar. Ask your doctor for it, it's relatively safe and great right before bed (a side effect is drowsiness).

19. DebInAustralia
      Fine

DebInAustralia Member Benefactor Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      30/12/13
      But you also mentioned attending a concert...

I think CBD with THC heightens your perception of your senses rather than actually making it louder?

Try nicotinamide riboside for possible noise damage.

I think it'll settle down eventually...

20. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:

If tinnitus spikes from weed were permanent, I'd be completely deafened by ringing by now.

21. HeavyMantra
      Depressed

HeavyMantra Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2017. Worsened 10/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Headphones, sinus issues, HPPD?
      In my experience, it only spikes temporarily (up to a few days) after using weed. And sometimes it doesn't spike at all.
      I hope you've stopped using the oil now, how did it go? Did the spike subside?

22. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      sayitshay

sayitshay Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud concert
      Sadly it hasn't gone down. It's been... like a month now...

23. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      sayitshay

sayitshay Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud concert
      It has yet to go down. My tinnitus has found a much louder baseline. I'm scared. It's been a month.

• Hug Hug x 3
    24. HeavyMantra
      Depressed

HeavyMantra Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2017. Worsened 10/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Headphones, sinus issues, HPPD?
      Sorry to hear it. I've seen some other people claim things like this, and I always suspect they don't realize the true reason for their increase in T. In your case though, it really seems like weed could be to blame? I don't see how, but then again since little research is done on these things there could be some factor we don't know about that causes a permanent increase in T for some people.

I don't know if it's connected or not, but my T got much worse during a time where I used very large amounts of full spectrum CBD. I've stopped using CBD for 3 weeks once, and my tinnitus wasn't affected one way or the other so I started again. I still have this nagging feeling that extreme amounts of CBD could be to blame. I'm talking probably... the equivalent of 1-3 bottles of CBD oil per day probably?

25. ChrisBoyMonkey

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Worst comes to worst hopefully Lenire can be of help until other, possibly better treatments are available.

26. ChrisBoyMonkey

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @sayitshay Did it ever go back down to baseline?

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    27. object16
      Magical

object16 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      overuse of hearing protection, plus noise
      I did also freak out considerably when I got my first spike from cannabinoid, but it does always come down. Your life is not ruined, but you have a new condition to deal with at the age of 20. I would say your brain likely has a lot of capacity to heal, so please follow all the good advice given here, such as don't try to mask it, have background sound enrichment LESS than the level of the tinnitus, you will definitely get better, it will take some time. From the cannabinoids, usually it settles down within a week or two although with me it now settles down really quickly.