My Tinnitus story

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by cflkb, Jan 16, 2013.

1. cflkb

cflkb Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2012
      Hi everyone, how are you? I've only had this for about 4 months, but it feels like forever. The first month of this was hell--- cried, prayed, googled everything, and I was sad to the point of depression. With the help of family and friends, I'm somewhat accepted the fact that this may be for life. It's not easy saying or writing that, but I'm not sure what else I can do besides spend thousands of dollars on other treatments that may or may not work. I'm on daily vitamins, trying to eat healthier, and staying away from loud places. It's difficult when you have two young kids, but they have been my savior throughout all of this, along with my wife. They're my greatest supporters. I'm currently seeing a chriopractor, but I'm coming to the conclusion that it's not helping me. I had some bloodwork drawn a few days ago, with my physical next week. I'm actually hoping that the doc says they found something----either high blood pressure, or high cholesterol, or diabetes since these are known causes of T. And at least I'll have a name to face and tackle head on. I've never been exposed to loud noises---not the concert going type, or had multiple ear infections or the sort. It just happened one day I woke up to some type of sound---a high pitch sound in my ear(s). It came and went and I didn't really think anything of it until it actually kept me from sleeping. I saw my pcp and he thought I had an ear infection, so I took the 5 day antibiotics and when I came back to see him, it was gone, but the T was still there. So I decided to see an ENT who had me take allergy meds and then prednisone, and then had an MRI to rule out a few things and some auditory testing(s). Fortunately, my hearing was perfect. I was scared cause I read that there's a high percentage of people who develop T also have some type of hearing loss. I was going nuts thinking about the possibility of not being able to hear my kids and my wife and just every day noises, but instead hearing this loud high pitch EEEE instead. So here I am, 4 months in and still no sign of relief. I get the low days, but there are plenty more of the high pitch days. The only silver lining in all of this is that I lost some weight. I'm avoiding the usual stuff other T sufferers say, like salt, MSG, sugars, caffeine,... I haven't cut them out completely, but I have cut out a lot. There doesn't seem to be a correlation with having something high in salt since I've tested that before, or even with sugars but I still try to cut them out for personal benefit. So here I am now, 4 months into it and I have to say that I am in a better place than I was in the beginning. I still get some slight anxiety and stress (who doesn't right?) but I've come to some type of acceptance, even though I have days when I ask God why me? Or what did I do that I got this crap? As of today, January 16, I've been having a higher pitch the past few days, but I'm hoping that it's due to the weather----rain/snow/sleet. Praying that better and calmer days will come my way soon. Please!!!! Thanks for reading. I hope everyone finds some relief in their own way.

2. Petloy
      Happy

Petloy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2012
      HI Ferd! Nice to see you're here too. Welcome to TT. I'm sorry that you're having high pitch T the past few days, I hope it goes back down for you!

Peter

3. jazz
      No Mood

jazz Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      eardrum rupture from virus; barotrauma from ETD
      Hi,

It looks like you're doing the right things to help alleviate your tinnitus. I like to keep a food diary and also take notes whenever I have spikes. If you can minimize those things, you'll have more good days. The great news is that most people with T do get better with time. A lot better. Part of it is maintaining a good attitude. And I do know how hard that is when your head is raging and you have work to do. (That's where supplements and/or medication may help--at least, in the short term.) Part of it is also taking care of yourself. Make sure you eat healthy and minimize caffeine, etc, though not all people have food and beverage triggers. And get enough sleep. I didn't sleep for a month when I first got tinnitus. And I didn't eat. All I did was panic. I think that's normal, but it is ultimately counterproductive. Now, I take melatonin to sleep (I need time released). There are several studies that talk about melatonin helping lower the T sounds and, when your rested, you're better able to habituate. There's lot of information on the boards regarding treatments. And there's the pubmed site, which most people on the boards consult regularly.

Jazz

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      cflkb

cflkb Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2012
      Hi Peter---good to see you here too! Still on a high pitch today, but I think it's starting to back down. I wonder if it was from the low pressure system we've had the past few days with rain/sleet/snow. How are things with you Peter?
      Jazz---thank you! I've been writing on and off what I've been eating, but I think I'll keep a more precise log of things. You're right though with the resting part---that's the only thing that I think helps my T, especially when I can get a good night's rest. Some days I'm just tired of keeping myself busy because of the T, or I just want to read a book without having to stop after a few pages because it's hard to concentrate. Trying to study for classes and it's so much harder to focus with the constant high pitch. Keeping a positive attitude is helping me, and the support group is great. Thanks everyone!!!!

5. applewine
      Curious

applewine Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ME/CFS, Dysautonomia
      If no other causes are found and nothing started with the T, then you could look into somatic tinnitus and trigger points.

• Agree Agree x 1