Need Help from People Who Actually Have Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Budger608, Jun 13, 2017.

1. Budger608

Budger608 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Music
      I've had Tinnitus for at least 7 years. I got tinnitus due to playing guitar and being in punk/metal bands through out my life. Or so I think.

Back in 2012 it was very bothersome and I went to the doctor. Lo and behold he had nothing really to say. I got over it or habituated and went through the next 5 years of my life without much of an issue. (I could sleep in a quiet room without a fan.)

Recently my tinnitus flared up again. I went to the doctor last week and nothing. I feel like doctors don't even take this seriously, many people including veterans are suicidal due to tinnitus and all they hear is 'there is nothing you can do' or to 'get used to it.' He scheduled me to see an ENT which is next month.

Now, I hear very loud high pitched ringing in my ears even over a fan in my room. I really feel like changing my lifestyle would help it get better but my doctor didn't seem to think that was true. People are sitting around 50 pounds over weight and/or eating junk food/ drinking soda all day living the American lifestyle and they wonder why they have medical issues.

I also have diagnosed anxiety, OCD and depression and I feel like getting that under control would help too.

I really don't need to hear from some random person who graduated from Michigan State with a 3.0 GPA tell me there is nothing I can do. I want to hear from people who actually suffer from tinnitus. I am overweight/ ate junk my entire life.

I got off my prescriptions 2 years ago because I felt like I was ready to try and deal with my mental issues myself.

My brother who is also a musician and has tinnitus says he doesn't even notice it now that he is in shape and eating right.

Could exercise/eating right make my tinnitus better? Has anyone else experienced this?

I'm not looking for a cure. Even if my tinnitus got 10% better it would save my life.

I'm looking for anything that could help other than just masking it.

Thank you.

2. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Budger608

Budger608 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Music
      This website is a joke. I put myself out there and wanted to talk to anyone and nothing in 11 days. I will never post on a forum again about my personal issues. Let me give you some parting words of advice. The internet doesn't help with anything. It will never cure your issues and will probably make it worse. If you are looking for relief do not search the web. Don't read a book written by a millionaire. It is up to you if you want to change your life. Getting your depression and/ or anxiety under control will help. Do not reply because I am never going on this forum again. Thank you if anyone even reads this.

• Like Like x 1
    3. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      HI @Budger608

I am sorry you feel the way that you do. It is the first time that I have seen your post and I visit this forum quite often. I too am surprised that no-one has replied to you. Have you recently had any tests at ENT on your Auditory system. Do you still play your guitar or listen to music through headphones? If there is no underlying medical condition that's making your tinnitus worse, the usual cause is being around loud sounds.

Tinnitus shouldn't be "masked" as you intend to do, because your brain will not be able to habituate to the tinnitus. It is better to use a sound machine or have low level music playing in the background, and set the volume slightly lower than the tinnitus. Please click on the link below and read my article on tinnitus. Try to read it in full and not skim through it.
      All the best
      Michael

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/tinnitus-a-personal-view.18668/

• Like Like x 1
    4. fishbone
      Shitfaced

fishbone Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud noise and very bad sickness
      I have tinnitus due to LOUD music, being foolish and medicine. I eat well almost 90% of the time and I am as fit as they get, my tinnitus volume doesn't really go down, all that much. Eating well is a great thing, but i think stress management is key for this issue. Finding a safe routine that distracts, one self from the tinnitus is very important.

Always protect your ears and keep moving forward...

• Like Like x 1
    5. Phil-O

Phil-O Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2015
      Hi @Budger608. Just seen your post too. Read Michael's testimony and check this out from Terry. Both helped me lots. Best wishes Phil https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/back-to-silence.7172/

6. threefirefour
      Peeping tom

threefirefour Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      5/15/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      140dB B R U H moment
      Maybe there's a reason you're saying that. 1/7th of the world population suffers from tinnitus, and 20,000,000 suffer from it enough to cause severe distress. That means 2% of the world at least is seriously suffering from tinnitus so I don't see why you seem to think only 255,000 people truly suffer from it.

And for the record everyone knew at the time the earth was round pretty much, Columbus just thought it was a lot smaller and he was dead wrong, so you really are like him stating that.

• Like Like x 1