Need to Clarify This to Myself, Thoughts? Are Some People Predisposed to Getting Tinnitus?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Joe4, Jan 28, 2018.

1. Joe4
      Busy

Joe4 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert
      I often contemplate the day I got Tinnitus and it leaves me with many unanswered questions. I remember being essentially part of group of strangers who were in the same place for the same period time. I’d guess about the same 500 were at the front all day but can’t imagine so many people would get T and not a bigger fuss be made.

This left me thinking was I predisposed to having T. I then remembered an incident when I was 12 or there about. I went paintballing and an instructor in one game threw a “flashbang” at me. I saw it land less than a metre away and I couldn’t move away as I was cornered. Having seen them in films I knew it would make a bright flash so covered my eyes but I neglected the bang part and I remember not being able to hear for at least 30 seconds and having a loud ringing in my ears the rest of the day. I don’t remember any problems after that day but I do remember parts of my childhood lying in bed at night and hearing a feint ringing in my ears but I always chalked it up to other reasons. This ringing wasn’t everyday but only now it’s a lot louder at permanent have I thought more about it. I read these stun grenades often reach noise levels of 170db.

So I just want peoples opinions. Was I always going to get T at some stage after this or am I making connections in my head to try and shift the blame away from myself? Personally I’m not sure.

Thanks
      Joe

2. Alue
      No Mood

Alue Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I can't comment about predisposition, some people may be more genetically predisposed than others, but the flash-bang grenade probably did do some damage. Hearing damage is cumulative and permanent.

• Like Like x 1
    3. Michael B
      No Mood

Michael B Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      '11
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      My mother had it and every week I would talk to her on the phone and ask her how she was handling her tinnitus. Little did I know that years later I would have the same thing. While it might run the family, for me it was the use of earphones that triggered my tinnitus.

• Like Like x 1
    4. Sven
      Fine

Sven Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/1999
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      Some of us unfortunately have "glass ears", whereas others have ears "made of concrete"..

5. Bobby B
      Fine

Bobby B Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Large caliber rifles&machine guns, +30 years of loud clubs
      This and apparently melanin levels play a big role - what color are your eyes or skin ?

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Joe4
      Busy

Joe4 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert
      @Bobby B personally have blue eyes and white skin. Does that mean I have higher/lower levels of melatonin?

7. Bobby B
      Fine

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Low levels mate
      Bad
      Same here - Google this up a few studies show up

8. Imshael
      Procrastinating

Imshael Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Likely jaw and/or neck issues
      My dad has T as well, but he's got darker skin and almost black hair. I, on the other hand, is as pale as one can be without being transparent, and with auburn/red hair. Therefore I think that maybe it has to do with something else in our genes? Or just bad luck.

9. Bassplayer

Bassplayer Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress
      I beginning to think everyone has temporary tinnitus at times in their lives. It’s just that if you are predisposed on the obsessive/paranoid spectrum you are more likely to allow your emotions to lock it in more permanently.

This may be because the anxiety at the time of experiencing the shock (not necessarily just the loud sound!) starts a vicious negative feedback loop. Anxiety makes the T louder, louder T makes the anxiety worse, makes the T even louder etc.

Once the anxiety starts the fight or flight response, the released hormones heighten your senses, including hearing, making it even worse. It’s quite possible that this severe state of shock locks the T into the memory.

I’ve always believed that any magic pill cure for T would involve messing with the memory. A bit like how electro convulsive theropy can sometimes break the depressive feedback loop. That’s why I’m pleased that it seems our brains can rewire itself to filter the T out naturally eventually so long as we stop obsessing about it.

• Like Like x 1
    10. Bobby B
      Fine

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Is it noise induced T or other
      The melanin connection is for hearing losss and resulting T

11. Bobby B
      Fine

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      IMG_7248.JPG

12. Bobby B
      Fine

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I bet these guys fire those super loud weapons all day for years without plugs or muffs and never end up on tinnitus talk thanks to melanin

• Funny Funny x 1
    13. Autumnly
      Wishful

Autumnly Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise-induced
      That's not the case for everyone. A positive attitude can definitely help but ‘habituation of perception‘ is not possible for everyone.

14. Bassplayer

Bassplayer Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress
      Indeed, however I know that if I decide to tune into my tinnitus, it is still there in it’s full glory. It takes a little while to hear it as my brain has learnt to rewire itself. If I kept reminding myself it’s there (by obsessing about it), it would probably lock itself in again (one of the reasons I don’t want to hang around here too long!)

I know so many people who say they have T but only notice it (focus on it) if someone asks them about it. I’ve never met anyone who I’ve discussed T with who has never experienced some form of temporary T. So maybe everyone has the potential to lock it in if they become obsessed/paranoid about it. I am on the obsessive spectrum BTW (as you can probably tell from my posts.. lol).

That’s why I wonder if the more permanent version of T is due to it being locked into this memory/focus loop. Perhaps that’s why some techniques, based on training ourselves to build confidence in the longer and longer periods we don’t ‘remember’ /hear our T, work.

I know this is all theory and I have no medical/psychological background, but time and nature do seem to work for most peple if we let it. .

15. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Unfortunately @Autumnly, you are correct. Habituation does have its limitations and therefore it is not possible for everyone. Although there may be periods when the tinnitus is easier to cope with than others. People that have variable tinnitus with large fluctuations in intensity can have difficulty habituating. I have this type of tinnitus and managed to habituate although it took 4 years. It is not common amongst the majority of people with tinnitus. I was told this by my ENT consultant and Hearing Therapist for those that have doubts. My tinnitus can be completely silent, mild, moderate, severe and extremely severe. This type of fluctuating tinnitus is mostly seen (but not all) with people that have noise trauma to their auditory system. It can difficult to live with and may require medication such as clonazepam and antidepressants to cope.

Michael

• Like Like x 1
    16. Imshael
      Procrastinating

Imshael Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Likely jaw and/or neck issues
      Oh, I see. Apparently I don't have any hearing loss. My dad does have a bit of problem hearing, but not sure how or when he got T.

17. Bassplayer

Bassplayer Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress
      If we have some hearing loss, even as a result of a cold, our T will appear louder as there is less external noise to mask the T. All possibly adding to our anxiety loop of course.

Ironically if you develop a fear of sound (possibly with hyperacusus) you may want to keep clear of the very sounds which help mask the T. A bit of a catch 22 really.

In both cases I suspect that working to reduce the anxiety and fear are the best ways to reduce the problem. Not easy I grant you, but some techniques do seem to work. Certainly reducing any form of stress seems to help lower the volume of the T when we do hear it.

It makes you wonder how people managed to push tinnitus out of their lives, without any medical advice or counselling, I know some probably didn’t. Perhaps some can’t stop obsessing about it and others cling on to it for some reason. As I say though, it’s only a theory. I know that my obsessive nature prolonged my journey.

• Like Like x 2