Neurofeedback Success Story

Discussion in 'Success Stories' started by ttired, Feb 23, 2015.

1. ttired
      Buzzed

ttired Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2011
      I am an over 4 years suffer with severe tinnitus.

I tried everything to help me with no success until last year when I went to a Neuro Physiologist and was evaluated.

This will not work for everyone, but if your tinnitus is caused by unbalanced brain activity/waves which I found was my cause, Neurofeedback could be for you.

I went through 6 months of training 2x a week over 6 months. I still have tinnitus, but the noise level is most often about 75% less and some days, I almost hear nothing like I have been totally cured.

On my bad days I estimate noise level to be at 50% of what my bad days used to be and the spikes no longer go on for days and days. One or two at the most. I would like to share more with everybody. Maybe some of you are suffering for the same reason I was. Hoping someone may benefit like I have. Good luck.

• Like Like x 5
      • Informative Informative x 1
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    2. Mikey Cliff
      Fine

Mikey Cliff Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      Thanks for Sharing! I am currently in my 4th session of Neurofeedback, and I have had some small successes. It make sense to do this therapy as Tinnitus is a brain issue. Neurofeedback specializes in brain dysfunction. I was told that my Delta waves were in a heightened state, which caused me to be half asleep-half awake throughout the day. I hope too keep having more success as the Dr. I am seeing is one of the top therapist in this field for decades. One question, are you able to manipulate your tinnitus when clenching your jaw?

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. Lisa88

Lisa88 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      ttired
      Buzzed

ttired Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2011
      @Mikey Cliff , no nothing changes for me if I clench my jaw. Did the qEEG show that you had two anomalies at the lower back of your brain. These anomalies are common with T sufferers who have the problem due to brain activities. I went for 4o or 41 training sessions before stopping Everyone is different, but you are going to need many more sessions to effectively help you. When you stop, what you have trained your brain to do, keeps working. I have a free follow-up qEEG in April. I am anxious to see what my brain will look like then. In addition to T, I had sleeping problems and concentration problems, that I thought were caused by my T, but they were not. The reason I could never fall asleep naturally was because my brain would not allow me to fall into the first stage of sleep. I could not read a book anymore because of my visual concentration ability. I can now read again. They were unable to improve upon my audio concentration. It remains at the same level now as it was before I started the training. I have no hearing impairment (or very little because of normal age decline) but I won't always hear something someone is saying to me because my audio concentration was somewhere else. This is annoying for my husband and he doesn't understand. I am often saying what...what...and he will get annoyed and say you heard me. He came with me to all of my neurofeedback sessions and attended discussions with the Dr. so he does know I have a problem but it is annoying to him just the same. I know it is expensive, but keep it up. After you get your next qEEG, you will see if you are making enough progress to continue. What the heck, I already spent so much money on trying to cure myself, I decided to go for broke if I had to. I have found too that after 4 months of stopping the sessions, the T has become even better. This is why I am anxious to see what my next qEEG looks like and what they think. Maybe a few more sessions may even benefit me more.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    5. preslys

preslys Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      please can you tell me how much it costs this treatement ?

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    6. Mikey Cliff
      Fine

Mikey Cliff Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      The first QEEG test is 799.00. Each visit thereafter is 125.00 a pop

7. Mikey Cliff
      Fine

Mikey Cliff Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      Are you doing traditional Neuro feedback or LENS neuro feedback?

8. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

DebInAustralia Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      would you explain what the difference is between traditional and LENS neurofeedback

9. Lance

Lance Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2015
      One question, are you able to manipulate your tinnitus when clenching your jaw?

Personally, I can alter the frequency of the T by clenching jaw or moving jaw forward.
      I was told by a doctor that happens because moving your jaw around will slightly change the shape of your already irregularly shaped auditory canal and hence affect the frequency. T is still there.

• Agree Agree x 2
    10. Rube
      Fine

Rube Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud shit
      @Mikey Cliff how are you doing with your neurofeedback sessions? Also was your t caused by noise exposure? Will this therapy help t no matter what caused it?

11. Mikey Cliff
      Fine

Mikey Cliff Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      I have had no change in my Tinnitus. I'm going tomorrow for an important session. I will try to update afterwards @Rube

12. Rube
      Fine

Rube Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud shit
      Great thanks! Good luck

13. Wojtek Kalka
      Badass

Wojtek Kalka Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Very loud concert.
    14. PortugalTheMan
      Shocked

PortugalTheMan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Anxiety / Maybe years listening to music on headphones
      Strange to read a success story saying that Neurofeedback is effective in treating tinnitus. But I do not see it currently being used, or people trying this treatment.

15. IntotheBlue03

IntotheBlue03 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Cervical/TBD
      Hey @PortugalTheMan, @DebInAustralia, @Uklawyer!

Have you seen anything regarding neurotechnology? I haven’t found much on Tinnitus Talk regarding this but it’s regarding a study conducted a year+ ago for tinnitus sufferers using Opticon hearing aids and whatever that technology is (I’m assuming some form of neurofeedback). Does anyone else have any info on this? I am emailing Susan Schmidt see what else I can find out.

https://azbalanceandhearing.com/request-consultation/

Tinnitus Study RESULTS!

16. DocTors_94
      In pain

DocTors_94 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise/ Covid? / Benzos / Ototoxicity
      @IntotheBlue03, hi, sorry to bother you. Did she reply to your emails? Thanks.

17. IntotheBlue03

IntotheBlue03 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Cervical/TBD
      Yes, she did. She is a fantastic, caring and talented audiologist who worked with me to see if we could modify certain hearing aids to mask my tinnitus. This did not work unfortunately but she went above and beyond to help me and I greatly appreciate the few and far between HCPs like her that exist in our world.

And it’s never a bother. Please ask away. I’ve experimented a lot and I hope it can help others. Happy to share. :)

• Like Like x 1
    18. Gb3

Gb3 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL
      Did you see her in person? How did she modify them? Did you try them out?

19. EDDTEKK

EDDTEKK Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      In Germany (Marburg) they did a study on Neurofeedback and tinnitus with 60 people or so. Outcome was it’s not more effective than CBT. No change in tinnitus loudness or distress.

I also did 40 sessions in a clinic and it had no effect on my tinnitus or mood. They also did qEEG and customized the protocol.

• Like Like x 2
      • Informative Informative x 2
    20. T Toledo OH

T Toledo OH Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/26/20
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Likely loud noise and earbuds
    21. Uklawyer

Uklawyer Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Medication - antidepressants
      @IntotheBlue03, this study was based on using the Oticon Open S1 hearing aids. The audiologist noticed that she was getting good results with her patients using this technology. The hearing aids appear to be strong when it comes to helping people hearing speech in noise. This, of course, indicates that they will only be useful for those that have this type of hearing loss. I am not sure how this helps with tinnitus sufferers that do not have this issue. I do not appear to have the problem when being tested although, with that being said, I always found it quite hard to hear people in noisy places like nightclubs and bars. But tinnitus came way after. Perhaps there is sometimes a trigger that can result in tinnitus where we have some underlying, hidden issue with our hearing.

22. LostinTX
      Not amused

LostinTX Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      poss ototoxicity/unknown/BVVP diagnosed first then tinnitus
      I am curious too, did you see her in person?

23. IntotheBlue03

IntotheBlue03 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Cervical/TBD
      No I didn’t. We conversed over email. She was fantastic though. I worked with a local audiologist instead who took their cues from Susan on what we were trying to accomplish.

24. IntotheBlue03

IntotheBlue03 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Cervical/TBD
      @Uklawyer, you are correct. I probably should have consulted you before pursing this treatment and saved some hassle as it was not applicable to me in the end. :)

• Like Like x 1
    25. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      How are you going now?

Are you still adamant the LDN 4.5 mg helped lower your tinnitus?

How is the dizziness? Must be awful (hugs).

26. IntotheBlue03

IntotheBlue03 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Cervical/TBD
      Hi @DebInAustralia, yes I do believe LDN helped with the tinnitus. I am, however, not doing well since getting more accurately diagnosed with vestibular ocular reflex dysfunction. It is very debilitating and I’m having a difficult time seeing a path forward with it. It is very disorientating and constant no matter what I do.

27. Uklawyer

Uklawyer Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @IntotheBlue03, that's not from the SGB, is it? I am sorry that you are now having to worry about this. It must be so disheartening. Is there any treatment for it?

28. IntotheBlue03

IntotheBlue03 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Cervical/TBD
      Thanks @Uklawyer. Not sure as I feel I had some of these symptoms prior to the SGB but it definitely could have exacerbated this. I’m extremely distraught and distressed again but thank you for checking on me. Vision is much more upsetting for me than the tinnitus, believe it or not. It seems there is no good treatment for this either. Please pray for me as I am having a difficult time seeing a path forward.

• Hug Hug x 2
    29. Uklawyer

Uklawyer Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @IntotheBlue03, I am sorry. Whatever it is we have that affects us in such a way is terrible. Take heart from the fact that your tinnitus eased. This may well do too - just see what @Chinmoku wrote on the other thread (just another person who has endured more than one could possibly imagine). I am sure you can get through this. Use what you have learned. These experiences will make us stronger.

30. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Hi lovely,

You are having such a rough time. I am sorry that you're suffering. You do know we all care about you?

Thank you for reporting on your experiences with LDN. I am such a chicken when it comes to meds, but I am still thinking I'll try it and see what happens... It seems your tinnitus has really backed off...

Your new diagnosis sounds challenging, but I know you are very resilient and tenacious, not to mention how resourceful and focused you are on getting to the root cause of your issues. I know you are going to find a way past this. What does your treatment plan look like? Prognosis?

I'm thinking of you and saying prayers for your recovery.

Hugs,
      Deb xxx

• Hug Hug x 1