New and in a Dark Place

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Chickme, Jan 29, 2019.

1. Chickme

Chickme Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Jan 1 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Help. I’m thinking I can’t go on. It’s been a month of high pitched sound which seems like it increases upon laying down so no rest.

In my desperation, I checked myself in to a hospital where they put me on mirtazapine and trazedone in an effort to help me sleep.

They are not working. In fact, it may be worse. I feel I’m out of hope and options. I’m not crazy but that’s how doctors are treating me.

I can’t see how I will ever be able to sleep. I want to die. My family doesn’t deserve this. They are so supportive. But there’s nothing they can do for me.

Noises at night seen to make it worse which doesn’t make since. None of this makes sense.

• Hug Hug x 5
    2. Contrast
      No Mood

Contrast Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      Do you know what caused your tinnitus, do you have a history of noise exposure?

Were you exposed to fireworks on new years without hearing protection, the best way to get help is to know first what caused the tinnitus. You could try magnesium and a predisone steroid to help recover after an acoustic trauma.

3. Stu1983
      Studious

Stu1983 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Around 2008/spiked 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      2008 sound/2018 Meds made the volume several times worse
      I’m so sorry you are going through a difficult time.

• Agree Agree x 1
    4. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Have you tried playing nature sounds in your bedroom? The sound of crickets works well with high-pitched T. The goal is to give yourself something else to listen to besides T. Initially you will continue focusing on your T, but after 15 minutes or so hopefully you will be able to start focusing on the sounds of the crickets.

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Chickme

Chickme Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Jan 1 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      My T started in he middle osprey the night for no apparent reason a month ago and has worsened. Been to ENT, tests run, ct scan, no explanation. He thinks I may have a patulous eustacian tube but doesn’t think T is related. I’ve tried the sounds at night but just seems to make me more irritated. T just screams and wakes me up. I know there are no answers but find myself searching constantly.

• Hug Hug x 1
    6. Agrajag364

Agrajag364 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      You are one month in so there is still a chance that this could clear up. At the very least it could get a lot quieter. There appears to be a link between how much we stress over it, how loud it is and possibly its prognosis so although it can be very hard it’s probably quite important to see if can you calm yourself. Sleep thing can be a matter of time, I couldn’t sleep at all for the first few months of this then my brain got used to the noise. Our brains are very adaptive.

• Agree Agree x 1
    7. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      HI @Chickme

Please read my post below and click on the links at the bottom of the page for more information on tinnitus.
      All the best
      Michael

New to tinnitus what to do?

The onset of loud intrusive tinnitus can be very traumatic for most people. I use the words loud and intrusive, because tinnitus comes in many forms and intensities. When it is mild, moderate or occasionally heard in quiet surroundings it is usually not too bothersome and a person can go about their daily affairs quite happily and unperturbed by this anomaly. This type of tinnitus usually comes on gradually and in some cases it’s associated with hearing loss, as we get older and the usual treatment is the wearing of hearing aid/s.

Tinnitus can be caused by other things: an underlining medical problem, build up of ear wax (cerumen). Jaw problems. Some medications and even irregular blood flow through the body causing Pulsatile tinnitus. There are a plethora of other conditions that can be responsible. However, the most common cause is exposure to loud noise or music that has been played at high levels causing some damage to the cochlear in the inner ear.

This type of tinnitus can be loud, intrusive and very debilitating. Often leaving a person at a loss and not knowing which way to turn to escape the nightmare that has suddenly come upon them. Your Dr has probably told you, it’s tinnitus and nothing can be done, you’ll just have to learn to live with it. I remember those words as if it were yesterday resonating through my mind and thinking, live with this for the rest of my life, impossible. So I fully understand how difficult it can be for someone new to this condition to take this in and believe it to be factual.

If you are having difficulty sleeping you might have been advised to try a night time sedation or an ant-depressant to help cope with the stress and anxiety that often accompanies tinnitus. These medications can be helpful especially in the early stages and they don’t have to be taken long term, so it’s something to consider. They can act as a safety net so you don’t become too down.

A referral to ENT will usually be recommended. In the mean time try to keep occupied with something you like doing, as it helps to distract the brain from focusing on the tinnitus. Avoiding quiet rooms during the day by playing low level non intrusive music such as classical in the background can be helpful.

At night a sound machine placed by the bedside playing nature sounds or listening to favourite mp3 tracks or Cds are good. Keeping the volume just below the tinnitus is ideal and set to play throughout the night until morning. It takes time to get used to sound therapy so please stay with it. Whilst in a deep sleep it supplies the brain and auditory system with sound enrichment. Over time the tinnitus is pushed further into the background helping to make its perception less noticeable during waking hours.

In the early stages of tinnitus, if one chooses not to use sound enrichment sleeping can sometimes be difficult and there’s also the chance of the tinnitus becoming more intrusive as sleeping in a quiet room can allow the brain to increase it’s own background activity. In doing so it will also increase the tinnitus making it more intrusive during waking hours.

There is a tendency for newbies to try and cure their tinnitus which is quite understandable. There are many remedies, treatments and concoctions out there. Some affordable others quite expensive. I am not adverse to trying to help myself but want to say, there are charlatans and con artists eager to relieve someone in distress of their money so please be careful. Even tried and tested treatments I wouldn’t recommend a person try until they have been seen at ENT. Often a person after been seen at ENT is advised to wait a while.

The reason being. Many people habituate to tinnitus within six months sometimes a little longer and it has been known to go away. The ear is a very delicate organ and many Drs prefer to wait before investigating further and then suggesting a treatment. If other problems are experienced such as: pain in the ears, deafness, dizziness or balance problems this is of more concern and a person will usually been seen quicker.

It is best to have a word with your GP if you’re feeling stressed or depressed in any way, as previously mentioned there are treatments available. Leaving things alone until ENT advise you of the next step is the best thing to do in my opinion. Don’t try to fix anything or throw large sums of money at treatments that you have no way of knowing whether you’ll get any relief.

It is not advisable to listen to audio through headphones even at low volume and keep away from loud sounds. By all means go out but anywhere that plays loud music then wear noise reducing earplugs.
      Take things slowly and one day at a time. Read some of the positivity threads and ask other members for advice. Many people eventually habituate to their tinnitus and go on to lead a happy and fulfilling life even though it may take a little time.

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/tinnitus-a-personal-view.18668/

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/hyperacusis-as-i-see-it.19174/

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/the-habituation-process.20767/

• Like Like x 1
    8. dayma
      Pacman

dayma Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      1/6/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      UNKNOWN
      Sorry to hear about your suffering. I have and am still there.

I did want to point out that mirtazapine (remeron) can take easily 4-8 weeks to be effective. It's NOT going to fix your T but it can help you with the emotional part. So give that piece some time.

Fell free to vent here!!!!

9. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      Welcome to the forum. Sorry you are suffering so much. Nevertheless, your tinnitus is very new and your reaction is quite typical of new sufferer dealing with intrusive tinnitus. We understand your struggle as most of us have been where you are. When my ultra high pitch T first hit, it was terrible and I struggled to cope like you. Then severe hyperacusis soon followed as if my misery wasn't enough already. I was in a mess mentally and physically facing relentless anxiety and panic attacks (having suffered these disorders plus PTSD prior to T & H). Every day was a long and dark day of suffering. I could only cope with medications such as benzos, anti-depressants, sleeping pills and other herbal stuffs. Like you and many new sufferers of highly intrusive T, we would feel death seems to be a better solution in our mind. I kept on asking how could life go on with suffering like that? How to live a life beyond livable? I never thought I could live a good life again even if I survive this.

But never say never. Today I live a normal, productive and absolutely enjoyable life. I wrote my success story and share some helpful strategies I learned from others and some of my own. Please check out my story below and also as many success stories as you can to give you hope. This will help reduce your stress and anxiety level as these are bad for your T. Don't panic nor despair. Good life can be back. Give it some time and try to apply some helpful strategies. If the ringing really bothers you at this new stage, try masking it (my story contains some good masking suggestions). You can consider getting some medications from the doctor also to help you cope with this most difficult initial suffering. Take good care. God bless.

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/thread...w-i-recovered-from-tinnitus-hyperacusis.3148/

• Like Like x 1
    10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Chickme

Chickme Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Jan 1 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Thank you so much everyone. Michael and Billie48, you obviously know exactly how I feel. You’ve portrayed my thoughts and actions exactly. It’s so difficult to believe somebody can get used to this. I keep thinking my brain is maybe to paralyzed by anxiety to do this. It is scary. I don’t know why the sound scares me so much but it just puts me in a panic. I guess I should keep trying the sound if it takes getting used to. Thank you so much for helping me. Thank you for your positive stories and I’m sorry I’m such a negative voice right now.

11. Contrast
      No Mood

Contrast Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      it's basically a game when they condition you into learning you have to live with tinnitus for the rest of your life.