New and Scared Too

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by TeresaD, Apr 29, 2016.

1. TeresaD
      Fine

TeresaD Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hi everyone! I'm new here and just wanted to share my story. I've had T for many years but It has always been mild. Then last year I hurt my neck during a fall and my T spiked and with it came the Hyperacusis. I went to ENT and neurologist with all my tests coming back normal. Then I started physical therapy and the therapist told me my neck was "a mess." 2 months later, my H was gone and my T was back down to mild. A few months ago I tried some simple Pilates exercises. A couple days later, all my symptoms returned!! The worse is the Humming/full sensation in my ears, like I have to pop them constantly but popping them does nothing. The H was horrible! Walked around with noise cancelling headphones which, of course, made me very aware of my T which sounded like jet engines in my ears. I was very depressed and anxious. Went to Neurotologist and he said I may have Hydrops and gave me Medrol (and told me my neck had nothing to do with my symptoms). Didn't help! I recently had to fly and when we were descending, I popped my ears really hard. It has seemed to help!! The T is still very loud but that humming/fullness is better and the H is manageable. I'm hoping it will go away again like the last time. It's really something to live with this. Not one doctor that I've been to seems to have any clue as to what this is and it just leaves you with such a feeling of despair. I'm praying for all of us!!

2. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      A warm welcome to Tinnitus Talk,

How can neck problems affect
      tinnitus?
      Long-term pain and discomfort from conditions in the neck can also
      aggravate tinnitus in the same way TMJ problems do. Studies have
      shown that patients who have suffered an injury to the head and neck
      region, such as from a car accident, or who have neck pain or stiffness
      for other reasons, such as arthritis, are more likely to experience
      tinnitus.
      Furthermore, there is some scientific evidence to support how the nerve
      endings in the neck make connections in the hearing centres of the
      brain, explaining how neck problems may affect tinnitus. Quite often
      the tinnitus associated with neck injuries may be more severe, and can
      be combined with other symptoms such as headache, depression, and
      problems with memory and concentration.
      Treatment generally depends on the cause of the neck problem, but
      the results from treating the underlying neck problem are often good.
      Treatment options can be discussed with your family doctor, who
      in some cases will recommend simple measures such as the use of
      painkillers and physiotherapy. Some people are able to modify their
      tinnitus by moving their neck. Recently, it has been suggested that in a
      minority of these individuals, TENS (Transcutaneous Electrical Nerve
      Stimulation) can help them with their tinnitus.
      References
      Björne A. ‘Assessment of temporomandibular and cervical spine
      disorders in tinnitus patients.’ Prog Brain Res. 2007;166:215-9.
      Folmer RL, Griest SE. Chronic tinnitus resulting from head or neck
      injuries. Laryngoscope. 2003;113(5):821-7

....lots of love glynis.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      TeresaD
      Fine

TeresaD Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      @glynis
      Thank you for your post. I have little doubt my neck has a lot o do with my symptoms. I have a constant headache and a lot of cracking/popping going on in my neck. What really gets me is that a neurotologist can say that my neck has nothing to do with my T!! As soon as that came it if his mouth I knew my appointment was pretty much over and I was right. He dismissed me with a prescription for Medrol a few minutes later.

4. Tommi_boi
      Thinking

Tommi_boi Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/04/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      Hey Teresa,

I think it's probably safe to say a lot of us have had set-backs (myself included) - All you need to remember is to take a deep breath and not panic or stress over these things.

A lot of this believe it or not is to do with emotions and mental strength and I'm starting to really believe this is true - I am unfortunately another noise-induced patient to Tinnitus and I've had days where it has become a little too intrusive for my liking - I'm recently on a work sabbatical and noticed that with the time off work, my Tinnitus levels have begun to improve due to no more stress levels at optimum level!

While I'm not saying leave your job , you dont need to wind your self up over T or H or work - It's just not worth it :)

In time most people's T become perfectly adaptable and Hyperacusis is commonly something that is not permanent.

I myself also managed to get Hyperacusis, having had a police very thoughtfully drive up next to me and blast it sirens - while I've had this condition for a month and a half now, it is slowly beginning to improve.

Time heals , relax and enjoy your life I am sure your's will improve too!

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      TeresaD
      Fine

TeresaD Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      @Tommi_boi
      Thanks, I really need to remember this. I can't even blame work since I retired last year so, that's no longer a stressor in my life (I know, I'm very lucky).