New Funding Opportunity for Tinnitus Research / Investing in Tinnitus Research

Discussion in 'Awareness & Fundraising' started by jazz, Sep 11, 2013.

1. EddyLee
      Tolerant

EddyLee Member

Tinnitus Since:
      I think most T patient who has totally habituated and their life no longer affected by T will still want to have their T totally disappear if given the option. So if we can have some new funding option for potential T treatment/cure that is easier to donate (paypal?), more transparent (how the money is use), very specific (for which particular research), rewarding (early access) and etc etc and then we could make them aware about it then i would say most will donate. They could accept $5 and if 10% of world's T population donates what will be that amount!?

Maybe it will fail initially but if keep trying one day it will success. 10 years ago if someone did a kickstarter type of funding for a game he will fail miserably. As time goes by many impossible will become possible. Just like cure for T, there is no impossible in this world!

The story goes like this, a topic in tinnitustalk has inspired some upper management from some T organization. They experimentally try a kickstarter like funding. First time they failed due to lack of experience to run such campaign. Second time they failed again due to lack of awareness. Third time's the charm as they are more experience, run the campaign better and thanks to previous failures they are being made known but various media reporting their failures. Failure is the mother of success!

2. cmurem

cmurem Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/05/2012
      When a website puts the researches one under the other and makes columns as "rate", "donate", "amount targeted", "donations collected", etc. i will donate to one of the most promising for me. When i look at the donation page of ATA i find it complex and not meet the mindset of donators or sufferers.

3. jes
      Familiar

jes Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2012
      I think the Money goes in the pockets of some fat amerikans.
      Better give the tenner to hutson and his team.

4. James White
      Anime

James White Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Maybe loud music. Not sure.
      Hi guys,

I was reading a few topics on companies who aim to develop new compounds or technologies to help tinnitus or hearing loss.

I was thinking: What does it mean to invest in these companies ?

I want to go straight to the subject : how much money is considered investing ? How does it work ?

Are we, as a community, strong enough to consider investing as a "side effect" of this beautiful forum ?

What are you views on it ?

5. daedalus

daedalus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2007
      Tinnitus sufferers invest very little in research as a whole. Unfortunately. Matteo De Nora has individually founded for 12 million of research. There are startups out there but i don't even know if they are open to small private investors.

I give a small yearly sum to the ATA, it is my drop of water in the ocean.

6. Champ
      Woot

Champ Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma from headphones
      I have always been a fan of a Kickstarter style crowd funding plan and partnering with a company that's working on permanently annihilating chronic tinnitus.

• Agree Agree x 2
    7. Erlend
      Question it

Erlend Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2013
      TinnitusTalk should crowdfund an investment in Auris Medical (am-101)

Let's say the stock goes up 300%

If I invested £200 I now have £6000 (i think lol) which would be cool. If 100 members paid £200 each it should be enough money that they accept it as an investment.

8. Hudson
      Cowboy

Hudson Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      You could always email Thomas Meyer and ask him.... as I did, to which he replied no.

They have no plans of any kind of IPO until after their first product launches.

• Informative Informative x 1
    9. matthew heafield
      Dancing

matthew heafield Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2004
      If we grouped together and decided on whats the best area to invest in, I would be more than will to invest money.

In all honesty we would need 100,000 at least for a company to take any investment from us small people seriously

10. marcp
      Irritated

marcp Member

Tinnitus Since:
      September 2013

I would be glad to invest in a company that was serious in finding a cure for T. Matthew I like the idea of us grouping together and investing in our health!

• Agree Agree x 2
    11. matthew heafield
      Dancing

matthew heafield Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2004
      If every member of this forum was to donate £10, $10 or €10 depending where your from I bet the would be a very nice sized cash pot that we could invest in which area we thought was most promising

• Agree Agree x 1
    12. briano
      Wishful

briano Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2013
      I am a new member and I am just beginning my research. If the group can decide and agree on one place to donate, I would be interested in checking it out. I'd rather have all the money go to one place and make a difference than split it 5 ways and not really help.

13. matthew heafield
      Dancing

matthew heafield Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2004
      What think we should do about starting group to raise money?

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    14. marcp
      Irritated

marcp Member

Tinnitus Since:
      September 2013
      I am up for that !

15. NikoD
      English

NikoD Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2012
      Finally. A crowd sourced project to treat an ear related defect!

Have been hoping to see or start something like this for a while. I hope this will spread to other fields and ear related diseases like Mineres disease, Sensor neural hearing loss.

This way, the funders (us!) can have an influence and say on who works with researching solutions for these problems. Rather than leaving it up to Pharma to decide if a drug would make financial sense and be beneficial to their stock holders or an institute set-up to seek funding over a long term period only to satisfy other objectives.

Don't get me wrong - Good is probably being done but knowing these initiatives rely on long term funding to stay in business worries many to say the least. We need greater transparency.

A big step towards sincerity.

Well said.

16. bill 112
      Fine

bill 112 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      I know that everyones life on this forum has been affected by T and H someway or another and that we all dream of that glorious feeling of silence that has eluded us for so long.As we all know the T community arent perticularly taken seriously by people or health care professionals alike were just told to live with it and that is unacceptable to a T sufferer!¡Here in Ireland there are always fundraising days for cancer,arthritis which are very worthy causes and as we all know still there is no cure..but the treatments have come along leaps and bounds due to huge funding and research.Recently I was talking to a lady who has suffered with arthritis for many years in her knees and found it very hard to walk and was told to live with it back when she was diagnosed.She had recently gone for a treatment on her knees which involved having injections into her knees twice a month for five months and she considers herself cured!¡She even participates in mini marathons which is amazing considering she could barely walk a few years ago.But my point is there has never been a fundraising day for T in Ireland and there probably never will be so I started fundraising nothing like fundraising days but something simple.I have a bucket and anytime somebody calls round they throw a few a cents or even a few euro into the bucket I throw in 10 euro every week and youd be amazed how quickly it adds up!¡So was just wondering would any members be up for doing this to help research find a cure we all know research is very underfunded and any donations will bring the cure closer....

• Like Like x 2
    17. tomytl
      Grumpy

tomytl Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10 Years
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      I am totally agree with you. If we could make here some fundraising would be exciting.
      Then every 10'000 we reach, we donate it to a institution or a lab.
      We have just to start it. Maybe there is a good plattform to do and integrate here. I don't know?
      I mean, if everybody or some of us would throw in some Dollars/Euros/SwissFrancs ;-)
      we could really make a difference.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    18. katriina
      Frustrated

katriina Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      I have already told that I would be happy to donate money for this, but I don't have a clue to whom should I donate it!??? I would like it very much if in here TT we could make some donating thing and then end of every month we could see the number we have collected and then we donate it etc?

• Agree Agree x 2
    19. Stina
      Psychedelic

Stina Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/13
      Project Chicken: https://hearinghealthfoundation.org/donate

20. nills
      Barefooter

nills Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      Honestly, I think we can all use our money for the upcoming treatments they are inventing as we speak.. so I don`t feel guilty not wanting to donate to much personal money. However I do have my own dreams and ideas how to help the research. Some of them involve marathons, others crossing Europe on foot from Sweden to Spain... Maybe we can share ideas and ignite a fire in others to do something? it does n`t have to be right this moment, research will continue for years ... so let that little flame burn, maybe one day it`s a bushfire spreading wildly :)

• Like Like x 1
    21. tomytl
      Grumpy

tomytl Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10 Years
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Hi Nills,

yes you are right, nobody should be feel guilty not donating. It's always also a point of budget and and.
      Many of us spent a lot money on treatments, probably some can't really work anymore, so I totally understand
      people not to donate. I just mean, if here would be a collection and then someone could give the amount
      to a researcher, which actually might give some updates, it would be some kind of positive thing.
      How many times I spent money for stupid parking fees, so I would better donate to a researcher.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    22. daedalus

daedalus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2007
      You can donate to the TRI: http://www.tinnitusresearch.org/en/foundation/donation_en.php The Tinnitus Research Initiative is an organisation dedicated to pioneering research in tinnitus. Exactly what we need.

There is also the ATA: https://www.ata.org/involved/donate_secure.php

The ATA invests in research and also does advocacy. Advocacy is very important to get public funding for tinnitus research since private funding is unsufficient.

Each year they organise fundrasing events. I usually make a thread for their annual "tinnitus walk for a cure".

23. bill 112
      Fine

bill 112 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      The way I look at it is the government will probably never properly fund research its much too easy for them to throw billions into disability to shut people up!¡But with a community as good and as passionite as this its possible to make a huge difference to research on T and H.The hearing restoration project gives a timeline of 10 years for a cure with more funding that could be halved....wouldnt that be exciting

• Agree Agree x 1
    24. katriina
      Frustrated

katriina Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      I'm just waiting here that I hit lottery jackpot and then I could give couple millions for research :D How awesome it would be If someone with tinnitus would win the lottery and then put most of the money to tinnitus research...

• Agree Agree x 1
    25. bill 112
      Fine

bill 112 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      The euromillions is next week 120 million euro or something like that....get buyin those tickets;)

26. valeri

valeri Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2011
      Imagine people if every person with t gives just $1, finding cure would not be so impossible.
      In USA that would be over $50 mil.
      WOW!!!
      Imagine the rest of the world!
      Just a thought!

27. tomytl
      Grumpy

tomytl Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10 Years
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Hi valeri,

I guess it's not just about money.... in the last 10 years there have been an increase of
      many lab's and companies doing research in the field of hearing loss/ tinnitus.
      At least it would be a huge market.. but solid research on how we hear is needed to
      develop a causal good drug. Hearing or hearing disorders aren't fully understand at the
      molecular level.

But I had once exactly the same thought,
      it's maybe a given dream because this suffering is hell of hell's hell.

28. borris
      Alone

borris Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/06/13
      Anyone with T would give allot more then $1 I'm sure I would

• Agree Agree x 1
    29. valeri

valeri Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2011
      Borris same here:(
      I was thinking more along the lines of funding research and finding a cure.
      Since they all blame lack of funds imagine how much money this would generate!

• Like Like x 1
    30. Leah

Leah Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Me too!!