New Here — Ears Get Uncomfortable from Some Noises — Is This Hyperacusis?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by KoalaWalla, Dec 2, 2018.

1. KoalaWalla

KoalaWalla Member

Tinnitus Since:
      0/0
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Okay guys, I am a kid. But I have a question for you guys. My ears get really uncomfortable when I hear noises like pencil on paper, rulers sliding across school tables, dog scratching door, kitchen wear, metal on metal, coats fabric rubbing (there's more, I just can't remember them off the top of my head).

My family has no issue with any of those sounds, I'm the only one with the issue.

I'm wondering if this may be what you guys call hyperacusis or something like that. Please help me out :D

Thanks,
      Caiden

2. eagerUser

eagerUser Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Yes according to the medical terms it falls under that category. I believe that Hyperacusis 95% of the times ( at least in my case it was ) is psychosomatic and has nothing to do with ears. I think maybe you need to take some rest and probably need an ENT advice.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      KoalaWalla

KoalaWalla Member

Tinnitus Since:
      0/0
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      It's happened forever that I can remember, so I doubt it is rest that I need, I am only 13 years old btw.

4. eagerUser

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      So you need to see an audiologist or An ENT. But still I think it's something mental. I don't know maybe hearing disorder. You should see an ENT anyway.

5. sirhand
      Anime

sirhand Member

Tinnitus Since:
      4/20/2018 4:30 pm
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      4 hour (apparently too loud) headphone session
      I think in this case there is a difference between discomfort and pain. Nails on the chalkboard is uncomfortable for most people but I think that's something else. I think hyperacusis is if something not that loud hurts as if it were too loud.

6. Contrast
      No Mood

Contrast Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      Are you kidding ENT's are useless for this cause, audiologist are literal hearing aid salesmen, they don't do jack shit about damaged inner ear. Haha ya know before 2015 they didn't even recognize the condition until that poor girl Cindy became a victim of pain hyperacusis.

7. Contrast
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      It sounds like hyperacusis with pain, but do you also notice also some noises sounding abnormally loud?

There seems to be two subtypes of hyperacusis, pain and abnormal amplification of noise you could unfortunately have both, also do you notice noise causes muscle spasms in your ear?

8. Jack Straw
      Balanced

Jack Straw Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      1990s
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Infection, Acoustic Trauma
      is this real?

9. Contrast
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      Look up how Cindy took several months to get diagnosed with hyperacusis/pain
      and how another couple that had it also had the same BS.

They still currently do not distinguish pain from noise and abnormal amplification of noise, and science is not conclusive if they share pathologies or not.

• Informative Informative x 1
    10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      KoalaWalla

KoalaWalla Member

Tinnitus Since:
      0/0
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hey Contrast,

I have noticed that some noises are EXTREMELY loud such as metal pans hitting each other. It sounds like I'm in a concert kinda for a few moments. Also, I don't really know what muscle spasms are. Just to put this out here, I've had another weird thing where ONLY at night, my ears will have a thumping sound thats kinda like a ring that is loud and slowly gets quieter, then repeats until I fall asleep. I have learned to ignore it my best.

Thanks,
      -- Caiden

11. Contrast
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      okay you got what we describe as pain and loudness hyperacusis once again sorry about what you are going through.

I can't believe you had this since birth.

12. Hariz Nonis
      Loved

Hariz Nonis Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
    13. eagerUser

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      I believe both are the same in the level of uselessness. No kind of kidding, totally serious !