New Here and Feeling Lost

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by msmarttin, May 2, 2016.

1. msmarttin

msmarttin Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Hi I"m a 60 and live in Florida
      I have had a hissing in both ears for about 3 months now. It is the same in both ears.I went to an ENT the beginning of this week and was told there is nothing wrong with me,my hearing is perfect and I have to live with it.
      It comes and goes. Sometimes stops completely but at others it is so loud I want to cry.

I do not listen to any loud music or anything loud but I work on a customer service line so have a head phone on all day. Been doing this for 6 years and I can't help think this might be the cause. I have to work at least another 6 years before I can retire and don't see myself changing jobs at this point but the though Of this hissing going on while I'm on the phone helping people is driving me crazy. As I write this I'm sitting at my desk and it is very loud.
      At least I'm able to sleep as I have an air conditioner on every night and am able to blend the white noise with what I'm hearing.

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. undecided
      Breezy

undecided Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown.
      Get another job. It's not worth it.
      Your retirement should be a fun and rewarding time for you - and full time tinnitus is neither fun or rewarding.

3. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      A warm welcome to Tinnitus Talk.
      I'm not sure if noise reduction plugs will help you at work.
      Could you use a hand phone instead of head phone ?
      Can you have a fan on at work or some other distraction ?
      Hope your tinnitus settles down and can find some help at work with I hope a understanding boss.
      Keep posting for support on the main forums.....lots of love glynis

4. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      Although a headphone in constant use can be a problem, but you are not using it to listen to loud music. You are really just talking with customers. I don't know that human voice can be an issue for causing tinnitus. Perhaps you look for another possible cause.

There are many causes which can trigger or aggravate tinnitus including drug reaction or side-effects, ear or Eustachian tube infection, ear drum injury, fluid build-up feeling pressured, TMJ, high blood pressure or blood circulation problem, loud noise exposure or acoustic trauma, neck muscle problems, hearing loss, Meniere's, barotrauma from flight, grief for the loss of love ones, untreated sleep apnea, elevated stress, anxiety & panic disorder, etc.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    5. Bobby B
      Fine

Bobby B Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Large caliber rifles&machine guns, +30 years of loud clubs
      If you work in a noisy place then slowly volume gets cranked up on the headset and that may be the cause
      The solution : wear good earplugs - cheap foam insterted deep work fine and crank up the headset volume until you can hear the sound at low volume