New Low-Bass Tone. Please Help.

Discussion in 'Support' started by SoulStation, Nov 18, 2015.

1. SoulStation
      No Mood

SoulStation Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise / Possible Medication
      I've recently acquired a new super low feeling tone that makes me feel like my whole head is a subwoofer. It sounds about 80 Hz and feels different then my other T tones. When I talk it stops. But it comes right back. It can be intrusive. I also have 4 other t tones, 2 central in both ears and two in the right ear. The new bass tone gets really loud when I bend over to stretch and the blood flows up to my head.
      I almost feel like it could be pulsatile in nature but I don't really hear my heart beat in it. It is awful and has been really making me feel like I am at the end of my rope. I suffer from depression and it's been bad recently along with the new sensation. It makes me feel hopeless and I need hope. I took one 1-2 doses of Remeron last week but it was less then 7.5 mg and I'm a bigger guy but I can't imagine that's the culprit. I really need some support that I'm going to make it through this new tone sensation. I am currently on Lexapro and Ativan also, a very low dose of the Lexapro which I've been on for years and ativan 1.5 mg daily. I don't know why I feel like this keeps getting worse but I really need some support. Also any one have a simular sound?
      Thank you,
      Ben

• Hug Hug x 3
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    2. valeri

valeri Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2011
      Ben I'm sorry you're having a hard time but all I can say is that I can relate to the suffering caused by the low drone noise as I have had it now for over 4 years.
      My noise goes from OK to life destroying.
      There are few others here on board with the same problem so I guess it is what it is:(
      Take care!

• Hug Hug x 2
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      SoulStation
      No Mood

SoulStation Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thank you Valerie. I feel like I don't care about these other tones now that I have. My whole head feels like it's vibrating. I'm just so scared that I won't be able to get used to this new sound(I'm not counting on it going away). How low is yours? Hz wise? Is it constant in both ears (though mine feels like my head not my ears)? Does it respond to residual inhibition?

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      SoulStation
      No Mood

SoulStation Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Please anyone else out there who could lend there support I really need it these days. I can hardly function and am suffering so badly.
      Thank you
      Ben

• Hug Hug x 3
    5. valeri

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2011
      I don't know in Hz, never had it measured.
      Mine is mainly on the right hand side, but it also goes into the head and yes I also have that vibrating feeling.
      Some days it's very low and easy to mask, other days it's a nightmare.
      Since August I developed this hiss/sizzling noises so that sometimes takes my attention away from the drone but combined all I can say it's a hell.
      Not saying high pitch is easy but "purer" tones would be easier to handle! Drone is a head thing:(

6. Telis

Telis Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      I have this type of low rumble that you describe, mine may not be as bad as yours, it doesn't seem to bother me all that much.

I find that this is one of my sounds that does fluctuate. It can even get pretty close to going away at certain times. I think it has something to do with pressure build up in the ear. I find that weather change can effect it, also things like doing push-ups or anything that creates pressure in the head/ear can be a trigger.

Mine sounds like some sort of low howl, it's annoying at first but i found it fairly easy to get used to, give it some time, you my find the same.

I have a new sound as well (LOUD beeping in my right ear) that is driving me nuts right now, I feel your pain man, anything in addition to what we already have to deal with is just too much, hang in there.

• Hug Hug x 2
    7. walkthroughwalls

walkthroughwalls Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hey Ben,

I'm so sorry to hear that! :(
      If the low tone goes away when you talk and if its volume depends on your position, doesn't that mean there's still a bit of hope that it may go away at some point?

I'm having a spike right now which started an hour ago. I think my tinnitus could get a little better if I learn to deal with the stress from this dysfunctional school and the tension in my neck. But at this point, I could also spiral down because all the negative factors amplify one another.
      For now, I will keep fighting. I hope you will too! Please hang in there! :)

• Hug Hug x 1
    8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      SoulStation
      No Mood

SoulStation Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thank you for the responses ... I appreciate it a lot. I am going to work again today after taking a day off for rest and trying to recuperate. This is by far the worst, most evil thing I have ever encountered and I'm trying to hold on. One day at a time is all i can do.

Anyone else experiencing this sound or could lend me some advice? This is the most I've ever suffered.

9. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

DebInAustralia Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Hey Ben,

I just wanted to reassure you that several of us hear similar tones.

I became aware of this tone at night time, intermittently at first. I used to think it was a car idling in the street. Id go out to the street and check in the middle of the night, only to find there was no car. I finally came to accept I have another tone when I was staying in the country with friends, away from traffic noise etc. I started to hear it during the day (Id say that is because I was now focusing on it, giving it a lot of importance).

I will say I also went through similar feelings of panic and despair when I started feeling head pressure when I roll from side to side in bed or suddenly stand up and I sometimes hear 'whoosh whoosh whoosh'.

What did I do? I treated the 'new sounds' in the same way as I did the ones I had started to habituate to. I have been using the technique as described in the 'back to silence' thread for the past few weeks, and must say, that my anxiety about the noise/s is much improved. Ive had a little glitch this week because of a temporary increase in volume after a root canal, but I know I will get back on track once I get back to focusing on my reactions only.

Ben, the reason this tone is annoying you is because it is new, so your brain is probably freaking out (or maybe its not new but you've only just become aware of it for some reason). Like you said ' it feels different than my other T tones". Your brain is trying to figure out if this bass tone is a threat. The best thing to do in my opinion is to simply refuse to focus on the noise itself but make a start on looking at how you react to the noise. I would say to myself
      ' I feel ........ when I hear my t....' as many times as you need to . keep at it. please, look at the thread. what you are trying to do with this method is push the awareness of your t away from the emotional part of your brain to thinking part of your brain. it works with time.

ie: I think I had t for a long time, but only so faint that I would hear it at night with ear plugs in. I actually think what I hear now is a louder version of what I used to like listening to at night! Can you believe that?

I suffer with depression, anxiety, and OCD. I know how that goes. I would say do what you can do get on top of these disorders. How you do that is your choice. For me, I choose not to take pharmaceuticals. I am currently doing cbt/mindfulness/act therapy with a local therapist.

You have plenty of hope. I know its hard to stay positive sometimes, and the layers of stress can just add to your melancholy. What keeps me going?

. my cat
      . my cat
      . my cat
      . did I mention my cat? LOL

seriously... well, I was actually serious there!

think of all the things that keep you going, things that give your life meaning. We all need hope, a reason to keep going.

my list would go something like this.......

. my cat
      . my friends/partner
      . my work
      . my garden
      . my piano
      . my spiritual beliefs

You will definitely do far better than merely 'making it through' this new tone.

I know its crap, but there is a good life beyond the t, anxiety and depression....

Addit: now that im back to focusing on my reactions only, I am noticing the bass tone and whooshing and hissing and eeee noises aren't bothering me nearly as much in a short time. You can do this.

• Like Like x 3
      • Hug Hug x 2
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      SoulStation
      No Mood

SoulStation Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thank you so much for this kind responce. I am familiar with IWLM and the BTS technique. Today I heard it and felt scared, and threatened. I really am at my edge. But the weird thing is its caused me to ignore my other tones a little bit. Thank you again for the encouragement.

• Hug Hug x 1
    11. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Hi Ben,
      Try stay as calm as you can and hope you have a better day.
      I totally understand as I was shocked to hear mine too.
      We are all routing for you and thinking about you...
      take care ...lots of love glynis

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    12. Gin
      Alienated

Gin Member

Tinnitus Since:
      July 2015
      That is the exact same sound I have. I just recently (in July) started having problems with my ears. It was like they were plugged up at first with and very sensitive to sound. It would clear up for two days and come back for 3. During my good days I noticed a low soft bass noise. But just ignored it. It was like Heaven compared to the plugged ears and loud roaring noise I had been hearing. Luckily, I don't have the plugged ears anymore or sensitivity to sound, but this bass noise is now constant, going on 11 days now. When I talk it stops, when I sing it stops, when a truck passes at a certain frequency it stops. It even stops if I stand by the frig when it is humming. But other than that it is constant. I don't know if it will go away. I have an ENT visit set up in Jan. to find out whats going on. I have managed to take Meclazine at night for sleep (works great) and just always have music etc in the background. It does give me headaches because of the tone, but nothing I can do. I'm starting to adjust. Hoping it will eventually disappear or Habituate to it. I hope you will too.

• Creative Creative x 1
    13. glynis
      Feminine

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Hope your having a better day my low sound resembles one of them vuvu things from footy matches bit like a foghorn...lots of love glynis

• Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    14. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      SoulStation
      No Mood

SoulStation Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thank-you Glynis. I am just trying to accept this as best I can. The ativan seems to level me out but the rest of the day is mostly a struggle.
      On a side note:
      You know my mom is from Stoke too. I went there many times as a young child. Just thought that was a little fun fact.

15. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      SoulStation
      No Mood

SoulStation Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      You're very new to this so your chances of remission are high- also your chances to habituate are very high. I hope you feel better.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    16. glynis
      Feminine

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Hi SoulStation,
      Aww that's nice to know did she have a potter's acsent ...... My dad can talk the old potter's talk like -aup duck ...
      I keep calling people duck .....lots of love glynis

17. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      SoulStation
      No Mood

SoulStation Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I don't know I'll ask her about the potters accent. -
      Thnx
      B

18. Ms Sandy
      Stressed

Ms Sandy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      May 2014
      I looked up "bass" as this is just starting for me I am losing it. It has been a year since your post. Just looking for support did it get worse? Better? How are you now? I have hissing in the left and. Now this weekend this vibration low sound. When I walk it is like BOOM BOOM same as going over bumps in the car. Ahhhhhhhh help me!! I am mostly deaf in the left I am terrified I am going to loose hearing in the right. How is your hearing?

19. valeri

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2011
      Ben how is your low frequency drone? Gone or still there?

20. just1morething
      Benevolent

just1morething Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      TMJ disorder, airplane barotrauma, noise exposure.
      Low tone hissing is annoying too.

• Hug Hug x 1
    21. valeri

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2011
      I'm not saying it's not, but drone takes suffering to a whole new level:(

Tinnitus sucks!

• Agree Agree x 2
    22. just1morething
      Benevolent

just1morething Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      TMJ disorder, airplane barotrauma, noise exposure.
      I feel for you @valeri as only another tinnitus sufferer could. I was as desparate as anyone and am getting there again along with my current other stressors. I know my family members don't understand the extreme torture some of the people here have to deal with every day. Anxiety just seems to make it worse.

23. valeri

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2011
      Can you please pm me?

24. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      SoulStation
      No Mood

SoulStation Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hey Valeri. Tone is still there but it doesn't bug me too much as it did before. I have others that are annoying much more- I'm not afraid of it anymore. It's still there though for sure. Thanks for asking. I hope you're ok..

25. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      SoulStation
      No Mood

SoulStation Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      My hearing shows no real damage up to 20 khz but I know there's probably some weird spots in-between the notches they test.

• Like Like x 1
    26. valeri

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2011
      Good to hear that!
      How loud it is?

27. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      SoulStation
      No Mood

SoulStation Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      It can get loud.

• Agree Agree x 1
    28. Paulie87

Paulie87 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I know I'm reviving an old thread, but this corresponds well with what I am experiencing.

I am a large bloke who has been on lexapro for a long time. I get this bass noise and my fear is that it is impossible to habituate too. I really am terrified of this noise and spend my whole day deeply humming to try and cover it.

Thing is, I have a CRT type tinnitus noise which I was incredibly distracted by when I got it years ago. Nowadays I don't even hear the noise unless I listen for it, yet as soon as I do listen for it, it is there and as loud as it always was. This makes me think the brain does have a lot to do with how we perceive these noises.

I just don't know if it's possible to habituate to very low frequency bass type noises as it is quite intense. Can anyone shed light on this?

29. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      SoulStation
      No Mood

SoulStation Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I feel like my higher tones are more annoying. But that's just me. The bass tone for waxes and wanes now a days. I feel your pain but you will get through it. Push on.

30. Paulie87

Paulie87 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I don't expect anyone to understand.

Normal garden variety tinnitus is nothing compared to this. Low frequency tinnitus like this is demonic.

I just can't take it anymore. I'm sick of people telling me it's just tinnitus. This isn't just tinnitus. This is a whole head screwing, pounding, bass drum going off.

No-one would be expected to live with this. I feel for my wife and little one as this is it. I'm writing my note, I'm done tonight.

No-one will have to hear me complain now.

God bless you all.

• Hug Hug x 1