New Noises and Changing Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Support' started by Solate, Oct 27, 2014.

1. Solate
      Worried

Solate Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2012
      In the 2 years I experience tinnitus (no clear reason why it began), the sound has gone from a unilateral morse code that was only heard at night to a bilateral orchestra with a variety of sounds, also heard in above tv or a busy office-environment.. Doctors found nothing wrong (mri ok, hearing ok)

Every couple of months after onset, a new sound emerged, mostly right at the time I started coping with the previous noises. It plunged me back in anxiety and depression, every time.
      A couple of weeks ago, another couple of noises (new pure tone and beeping tone) joined the group. I can't figure out why this keeps happening and the future of tinnitus that grows louder and louder frightens me to the point I'm putting my life on hold.

After 2 years, I'm still not coping at all and anxiety and depression builds.. If i knew for sure the sounds would stay the same from now on, I think I would cope better, but the anxiety of new sounds sets me back every time.

Does anyone have similar experiences with this or do you have ideas on how to cope with this situation?

• Hug Hug x 3
      • Agree Agree x 1
    2. Telis

Telis Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      Yeah I have the same thing...new tones..progression etc. no idea how to cope. I don't even want to move with the fear it could get worse now. It's like being hit with sudden onset tinnitus over and over again. Scary as hell and tough to adjust to. And once it gets worse it's tough get rid of that fear. Nothing has tested me in life like this crap, nothing even close.

Sorry I don't have any good ways to cope, maybe someone else here can give us some advise on how to deal with this.

Telis

3. Two things that works for me is a really hard work out till i literally drop. And on the free evenings, half a bottle of fine whisky:angelic:.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    4. Telis

Telis Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      Do you do mostly cardio type workouts? Or a mix?

I used to weight train a lot prior to T, I'm scared to do so at this point. I have no idea if this is a legit concern or just me.

5. Almost only cardio atm, bought myself a new spinning bike. 8-10 hours a week does it for me, my fiance is a little bit concerned of our basement due to all my sweating.

Before t i lifted mainly heavy weights but i think that i puts to much tension on my neck and back as it is right now. No motivation to do that either due to all the muscles i have lost the last 8 months.

6. Both the cardio and the whisky spikes my T for some hours but easier to take after 90 mins on the bike.

7. There is nothing that works so well on anxiety like a real hard cardio work out. Benzos dont even come close imo. Sad that so few realizes that.

• Like Like x 2
    8. Lisa Robinson
      Depressed

Lisa Robinson Member

Tinnitus Since:
      19/09/2013
      Mine changes but goes back to way it was first time I got it. Like a blood flowing sound. But confused why does tinnitus always change? Not doing anything different, they says there is nothing there to cure so why does it change what is it? Tinnitus is confusing :(

• Agree Agree x 1
    9. Sound Wave
      Curious

Sound Wave Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably headphones
      True about the workout and exercise and anxiety. The BEST medicine by far. My T seems to change as well and it makes habituation harder. Maybe we should try to approach our changing T with curiosity... positive curiosity.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    10. RicoS
      Alienated

RicoS Member Benefactor

Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress or Acoustic trauma
      Well I'm 1.6 year in and allthough I live as normal as possible I cannot say I can cope that good as others I guess.
      Today we got some stresssituation at work so I had 5 fleeting T moment in a row in 6 hours. My T was also loud because I was feeling stressed. I know I should relax and not stress about it but I almost went in panic mode again.
      The thought of not experience complete silence again what drove me crazy in the past, hit me today when I was feeling stressed.
      I was not thinking about it for months..... and my T sounds more angry or something I don't know.
      But still I will not let T beat me. What I mean by do not cope as good as others is that it's 24/7 on my mind.
      I won't allow it to get me into panic mode.....I just won't let it. Even today when I felt it coming up I knew I should keep my act together or it became worse.
      I guess it's just being a human being..... It's what some other guy lately posted. You can feel good at 12:00 and feeling like living in the middle of hell at 12:04.
      If I think how much I love my girlfriend and our son I can get much positive energy from that.....just wish I could have a day of silence again when I have a stressed day.........

But I'm wondering off. Regarding changing tones....yes it's the same with me....it is much higher now ...it was a basic low tone first, but my brain ignores this tone more I guess.....but it changes depending on the time of day....weather ....you name it and it's different.

One thing I do know though....we can completely ignore it because when I just had T but did not know what it was I went to sleep and didn't hear a thing. Only when I knew it was T I focused on it and never let go.

• Agree Agree x 1
    11. sandra72

sandra72 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      may 2014
      today also a day of hell. Many crickets sounds and white noise. I always have more trouble when working. Try to stay calm but cant keep my mind of it when working.

April this year i had no T. It started in may. But in april there whas a program on tv about T. I watch it. It whas about a woman that have very loud T and H. Her childeren could not live with her anymore. I told my husband i hope i will never gett it and suddenly a few weeks later i got T. the first few months i whas depressed and did not want to do anything. Now it goes a little better but i am not there yet. Its still t much on my mind and making me
      anxious. The tought that I will have this whole my live makes me sad and angry.

But today a talkes to a
      colleague and she have it for 10 years now. And she is not anxious about it anymore. Somedays it very quit and other days loud. But she said dont be affraid its just a sound and you can still be happy en do nice things. Keep busy en enjoy your live. I really hope so that one day i can say ok its there and its not gonne leave you so accept it and enjoy your live.

• Hug Hug x 2
    12. RicoS
      Alienated

RicoS Member Benefactor

Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hi Sandra are you also fron the Netherlands, because I saw that program too on Dutch television. It was very sad for her not to withstand any kind of sound

13. sandra72

sandra72 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      may 2014
      Yes i am Ricos. I didn't told the whole storie because it could make people sad. But the first month with my T I always think of her en it made me very scared. Before i had T i never heard of T. Yes i had somethimes the ringin in my ears when i went to a concert but it always whas gone the next day.

14. valeri

valeri Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2011

Same here Telis, same here...:cry:

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    15. RicoS
      Alienated

RicoS Member Benefactor

Cause of Tinnitus:
      Same here :bawling:

16. RicoS
      Alienated

RicoS Member Benefactor

Cause of Tinnitus:
      I never had T I did not know it excisted...until a good friend of mine got it and I went on the internet looking for sound to mask it for him..... I tried to imagine how it was hearing that sound the whole bloody day. And look there......a half year later I got it myself...almost trying to kill myself over it.
      Glad I didn't do that.....but at that moment it was the only escape from that damn noise.
      At least 8 people at work have it also but my T is realy stupid. In silence it is realy loud but with the slidest bit of sound it is masked.
      Stress is a killer for me .... I was never easly stressed ..neverrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. But now minor things effect my hearing. It is not that I go in panic mode, but I notice the ringing when I'm upset.
      So I always try to stay calm......

17. valeri

valeri Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2011
      Is that the lady who got euthanised?

18. sandra72

sandra72 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      may 2014
      Yes it is

19. sandra72

sandra72 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      may 2014
      8 people wow. What kind of work are you doing if i may ask and how do the cope? I can hear mine over the tv.but not all the time. Its very strange. Than i hear White noise and then crickets and in silant i hear a horn but only in the mornings. With stress its worse and when i cant keep my mind off it.

20. RicoS
      Alienated

RicoS Member Benefactor

Cause of Tinnitus:
      I work at a health insurance company at the ICT department. Projectmanager and IOS/Android/C# developer.
      Two other people do not cope realy well. The other person just does not care and all the other just here a soft tone when I silence. Mine is rather loud in silence but also easly masked. I sleep pretty well though although I use birdssounds when I go to sleep. Last night I did not do it and fell a sleep within 2 minutes I guess.
      It's just that one day you feel fine and the other day is a complete hell.

When I see the guy who also has T pretty severe I feel sorry for him because he also got back problems and cannot even sit for 1 hour. I guess a lot of people do not realy cope well but do not easly talk about it and just try to ignore it as much as possible. A view months back there was a person with hearing aids here and I asked him if he had T also. He said yes ...very loud but the hearing aid helped him a lot because he could stream music to it with is IPhone.

So I guess there are a lot of people who have this problem, but it can also be that when you work in a silent office you pay more attention to it than working outside when it is easly masken (if you have mild T)

I think I have mild T except in complete silence. I could handle it better if in complete silence it was a little bit lower in volume. But than again if if if if if if...... it's the way it is and I can do nothing about it than let habitation do its work.

My father has T, my girlfriend has T , her mother, her sister....her mothers neighbour (that's why he always has the radio on 24/7 ;-) ) But it all does not bother them as much as myself. And my girlfriend can completly ignore it and never thinks about it ....even when I complain about it.She says when she thinks about it she will hear it right away.

It's a strange thing T......o_O

21. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Solate
      Worried

Solate Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2012
      I'm just wondering if it is even possible to habituate to this kind of tinnitus? After 2 years, I still freak out when I hear a weird new noise, because every noise I've acquired so far has stayed with me..
      I've got days when for example my right ear seems less loud and it bothers me less, but then all the other noises in my left ear and head take over. I don't really have a silent day when all noises (head and ears go silent), usually one (or more) take the lead. This goes on every day: I get up in the morning and it quickly becomes clear which sound will become the noisy one for the day. The next day, a different sound/ear takes the lead.

When I step into a silent room, it strikes me every time how different the noises in my left and right ear are. The sounds in my right ear make a rather low sound combined and in the left it sometimes is a high sound and sometimes it's a low sound. I can't image stepping into a silent room and not noticing this ambivalent noises...

I can understand you could habituate to unilateral tinnitus or one sound in the head (if not too bad), because I feel that I often don't notice the crickets in my head until I look for them.. I can't do this with the noises in my ears..Has anyone successfully habituated to multiple fluctuating noises / bilateral tinnitus (different noises in both ears) before?

22. volsung37

volsung37 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      I can deal with the tones. Its the constant clicking that drives me mad. I will give it a year and if its still there I will look at getting the stapedius and/or the tensor tympani muscles cut. The danger then of course is possible autiphony and facial paralysis. Thankyou Universe.