New Tinnitus Sound (Possibly Pulsatile); I'm Tired

Discussion in 'Support' started by arcanesystem, Mar 22, 2020.

1. arcanesystem
      Pensive

arcanesystem Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I don't know how to feel or what to say anymore because no matter what I try, it ends up getting worse.

Thursday night, as I was getting ready for bed, I noticed this new faint, low sound accompanied with vibrating, buzzing-like spasms in my right ear, kind of like when I hear my pulse after running. It almost feels like there's something in there. This sound was unusual next to my current high-pitched ringing. I first thought that it would go away overnight, but it's still there.

I wonder if what I currently am hearing is pulsatile.

My tinnitus has changed a few times since I've gotten it, but this change, if it's here to stay, is really making me tired.

I have an appointment with my GP on Wednesday to see if it's something serious, but I'm expecting the same thing as always. I can mask my usual high pitches fairly well, but I don't know how I'm going to get used to this. And it's frustrating because I do everything I can think of to avoid what can make it worse, and it decides to agonize me even further.

Normally, I have a somewhat optimistic outlook on dealing with this, but I guess I'm an idiot trying to convince myself it's not going to get worse. Really, I'm just disappointed and tired at this point.

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. rocketskates

rocketskates Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Do you use a white noise machine at all? I have one that has 20 sounds (10 fan sounds and 10 white noise sounds) that vary in pitch. Maybe could be useful for when you experience changes?

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      arcanesystem
      Pensive

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I sleep with a fan on at night. It does a pretty good job of masking everything, so I'm glad for that. I don't know what I would do if I wasn't able to sleep. However, this new rumbling I can hear over almost anything during the daytime. I feel like it's gotten louder since the first night I heard it.

4. Tybs

Tybs Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Fall from stairs
      If your T fluctuates that much, it might be related to your (neck?) muscles. Did you try fysiotherapy? Helped me a good lot.

About the rumbling sound... two months ago something similar triggered whenever I was lying on my right side, with my head on the pillow. It came and went for a few weeks, but eventually it left again. Don't recall the last time I heard it, and I still lie on my side a lot when falling asleep...

5. Kriszti

Kriszti Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2016/2017/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Does it stop when you talk, plug or cover your ears? From 2016 on, 3 times I had a low, buzzing washing machine type of sound for 1-3 weeks. It was vibrating, buzzing and very, very loud. It always went away unlike the high pitched sound which accompanied it this fall. Don't have the slightest idea what causes the low hum, but it stopped (I expect it to come back), and I know at least an other person whose low hum went away after acting up for a month.

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      arcanesystem
      Pensive

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      My neck is sometimes a nuisance. It does feel stiff often when I wake up and I wonder if this has something to do with my pillow. I prop my head with my blanket and position it in a way that my ear is not touching the pillow, which arches my neck slightly towards my body. I do this so that I can avoid hearing my T against the pillow. I'm sure this is what makes my neck ache.
      I do exercise, which I read can cause straining and mess with your ears because you're constantly holding and exerting your breath powerfully. I recently was doing pilates on the floor an may have been straining my neck when my T suddenly acted up in my problem ear, then it went away. I also have admittedly poor posture because I'm in front of the computer a lot. I'll be sure to mention this when I see my GP this Wednesday. This may sound bad, but even if it's serious, I hope this time something is found instead of this being another case of "We can't help you."

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      arcanesystem
      Pensive

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      It doesn't stop when I talk, but when I plug/cover my ears, it does tone down a bit. I'm not sure if this is because I'm hearing my regular ringing over it or if it's somehow affected by external noise. A faint washing machine is exactly how I would describe my sound. The sensation is as if I have water stuck inside my ear, but if that were the case, it would have gone away by now. The buzz/vibration is not constant; it acts up, pauses for a second, then buzzes some more. It is not in sync with my pulse or breathing, which makes me doubt that it's pulsatile, but I have no way to otherwise confirm. I can find some relief if there's some hope of it going away after a while.

8. Greg Sacramento

Greg Sacramento Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      syringing and now somatic T dental work
      @arcanesystem
      I read that you had good audiograms, but now have mid-low range loss, "thought it was still within normal hearing range." " though the 500 hz category was lower than before." "I had my T before the latest audiogram..."

You mention in another post that your neck is stiff when waking in the morning. Where?
      This and low range loss may point to cause and that seems obvious that it's your neck.
      Neck problem may associate to lifting with head in forward position.
      Did you lift animals at the vets?
      Neck soreness can attribute to worn joints or compressed nerves, but neck tension typically refers to muscle spasms or soft tissue injuries.

Just one though without knowing more history.

"A faint washing machine is exactly how I would describe my sound. The sensation is as if I have water stuck inside my ear, but if that were the case, it would have gone away by now. The buzz/vibration is not constant; it acts up, pauses for a second, then buzzes some more. It is not in sync with my pulse or breathing, which makes me doubt that it's pulsatile..."

This could be one of about ten things. If you wish we can discuss this by the PM message feature.

9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      arcanesystem
      Pensive

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Sure, I would be willing to. How do I do that? Sorry, I'm kind of new to this thing.

10. Greg Sacramento

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @arcanesystem
      I sent you a message to your Inbox - which is at top of page. You can reply to my message.

11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      arcanesystem
      Pensive

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Huh. I just found out that my appointment got canceled because of the virus. They’re offering virtual visits instead. I’m not sure how good that will be since I want someone to actually look inside my ear.

12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      arcanesystem
      Pensive

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I have an update. I did virtually meet with my GP yesterday. We decided that we'll wait another week before prescribing me anything. She recommended a warm compress, which did worsen the vibrating every time I lifted it off my ear. However, the strangest thing happened.
      Last night, I was up in bed until 2 AM when I suddenly felt a very full sensation in my vibrating ear, as if I was flying in a plane. The temperature is getting more humid here, and it was raining last night. Anyways, when I woke up this morning, the vibrating went down from something like an 8 to a 1.5-2. I have no idea what happened, but I can almost not hear the vibrating sound at all. Just my usual tinnitus. Of course I am happy, but I am also very scared I'm going to jinx it, and I'm expecting it to get worse, but regardless, it's very strange to me this declined so dramatically. This makes me wonder if my ear is freaking out from the barometric changes.
      Maybe it'll keep getting better, maybe it will come back, but I'm going to try and keep my mind off of it.

13. Greg Sacramento

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @arcaresystem The vibrating can associate to blood flow increases. To stay relaxed, try some soft rain or gentle running brook sounds at whisper level from a speaker, (not placed into ear), much lower than someone talking.