New Tinnitus Sufferer

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Bizzard, Jan 20, 2018.

1. Bizzard

Bizzard Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2 days
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Possibly medications
      Hello everyone! Was so happy to find this sight- I have been researching all night. I developed a high pitched noise about 2 days ago- so horrified by this! Took me a couple days just to figure out if I was actually hearing this, and unfortunately, yes it’s there, and constant.

So, from what I’ve researched tonight, I’m thinking this tinnitus came on from medications. I had surgery last March and have taken oxycodone daily since- I don’t take much though, so I’m confused as to why this would happen. I only take 2-3, 7.5mg tabs/day- the other day I mixed it with hydrocodone, and I also take a 325mg aspirin daily for prevention. I am 52.

It would be nice to know whether there’s anyone else out there with a similar experience- I’m scared to death to take another pill- my research on ototoxicity indicates that hearing loss can come on suddenly, and obviously don’t want to make my situation any worse!! The sound is driving me crazy- so unbelievably scared/worried that it’s permanent ☹️

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. Agrajag364

Agrajag364 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      The aspirin is definitely linked with tinnitus, the others I'm not sure about. Could you talk to your doctor about coming off them? Or just the aspirin?

• Like Like x 1
    3. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      Welcome to the forum. Whatever caused your T, drugs side effect or otherwise, it is a done deal and the important thing is to manage your T so you won't suffer too much. If the sound is driving you crazy, then consider masking your T. Sound enrichment is good for your ears against T. Here are some masking suggestions if you have done so:

1) Mask at bed time if having trouble sleeping, by using a sound pillow or sound machine with pillow speakers. There are good sound machine & pillow therapy systems like this one: https://www.amazon.com/Sound-Oasis-...d-Oasis-Therapy-System-Speakers/dp/B00MH5HKTA

2) If you need masking on the go, try load an ipod with nature sounds or music using itune. If you have a smart phone, you can download free APPs for soothing or T-masking sounds. Use wisdom in the use of headphones or earbuds as extended use or excessive volume may hurt your ears. Try set the volume slightly below that of your tinnitus.

3) With PC & speakers, you can try these excellent masking sounds to see which one masks best:

TT's excellent audio player: https://www.tinnitustalk.com/audioplayer/

or this online sound library, particularly the self-mix nature sounds: https://mynoise.net

or download free sound generator ‘aire freshener’: http://www.peterhirschberg.com/mysoftware.html

or click play to mix these sounds with this simple sound generator: http://asoftmurmur.com/

or search youtube with words like 'tinnitus masking sounds', 'white noise', 'rain sound' etc

4. fishbone
      Shitfaced

fishbone Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud noise and very bad sickness
      Hi there :)

first of all know that it is perfectly ok, to feel nervous and scared about tinnitus. It's very strange to hear noises that are coming out our heads. I still remember when I first got tinnitus and I would ask my mom if she hears that light tone/low hiss. She would say no. I would be like, is the light short circuiting. She would be like no. Understand that all of us face tinnitus here on a daily basis. Some more severe than others. Talking things out, seeking support is VERY valuable in helping those that suffer from tinnitus

The great thing that you have here, is an ample amount of support and love. The people on this site care for each other and want to help. You are never alone here :)

Meds can bring on tinnitus and can possibly increase it. Not all but some can do this. I hope you feel better, tinnitus is very odd and strange and no one likes it. It will take time to adjust to it. Do know that you can do this and we are here to support you along the way .

Never Give Up!

• Hug Hug x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Bizzard

Bizzard Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2 days
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Possibly medications
      Thank you

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Bizzard

Bizzard Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2 days
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Possibly medications
      Thanks for the advise!

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Bizzard

Bizzard Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2 days
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Possibly medications
      Thank you- it is very weird- could of swore it was better this weekend but now today it’s horrible!

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Bizzard

Bizzard Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2 days
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Possibly medications
      So can this just go away?? If it does, am I always at risk of it just returning out of the blue??