New to Site — Struggling Right Now

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Kelley, Sep 11, 2019.

1. Kelley

Kelley Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/19
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hi all -

Thank you so much to all of you for taking the time to post your stories. It helps to know I am not alone.

My tinnitus (one sided high pitched EEE) started several years ago following a bad sinus infection. At the time, I only heard it in a completely silent room and it didn’t bother me. I actually thought it was kind of neat.

Then, a little over a week ago following what was undoubtedly the most stressful and anxiety inducing month of my adult life, it got so much worse. The increase coincided with a migraine headache (which I’ve had since I was 10 - also following a high stress period) although I don’t know which came first - the headache or the ringing. In any event, I now hear it all the time over most sounds. For example, TV and conversations do not mask it, nor does white noise entirely, although constant white noise does provide some relief.

I’m seeing and ENT today and would love to hear some thoughts on treatment options. It’s fair to say that my stress and anxiety are at all time highs, but I’m terrified of becoming dependent on a benzo- drug. Have any of you had success with with hearing aids with built in white noise functions? I feel like I can live with this at the level I experience it when the white noise is on, but when the room is silent.... hoo boy does that suck!

Thank you again, everyone for your time and for sharing your experiences and pain.

Warmest Regards,
      Kelley

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. fishbone
      Shitfaced

fishbone Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud noise and very bad sickness
      You are not alone, a lot of us walk this same path together. High stress and anxiety can annoy the tinnitus, so it's best to somehow try to control it and keep it low. having the brain hear/focus on another sound is a good idea. A lot of people are scanning and focused on their ringing and that can possibly annoy them more. Hearing aids with white noise/maskers can be helpful. Do make sure that a professional sets them up for you though.

The thing I always say is this, go and talk things out with someone. They do not need to have tinnitus to understand,
      as long as they have empathy and a willingness to listen and care. Also, being active is very helpful for those that suffer. Do some type of exercise that is safe for your tinnitus. These two elements have helped me beat my sleeping problems that I had for a long time and I beat my addiction with sleeping pills that I had for over 3+ years.

I try to always find the ROOT cause of my afflictions and then come up
      with a plan that will benefit my situation.

PS-As I always say, we are very strong and our afflictions are lessons
      that make us even more stronger and better people!

• Like Like x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Kelley

Kelley Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/19
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Thank you so much for your supportive reply! I’ve got a bunch of appointments set up over the next two days so hopefully I will know a little more soon but I am already eternally grateful for the information and support provided by this community!

• Like Like x 1