New to the Forum and to Tinnitus... Worried!

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Tracyr1, May 2, 2016.

1. Tracyr1

Tracyr1 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hi everyone.. Im new to this forum and very new to this ringing in my ear...I woke up 4weeks ago coughing in thmiddle of the night followed by the ringing that has just not stopped!... I was diagnosed with Iron deficiency anaemia in March and had to go through a blood transfusion but didn't have any ringing in the ear at that point. The middle of march I took a throat infection and lost my voice for 3 days and then I took a small abscess under the arm after that.... Now since the beginning of April I have this ringing...not had a good couple of months and this is from someone who is never ill!!!!!... I am waiting on an ENT appointment,but it can be another 10 weeks yet so at the moment on Betahistines trying to control the volume, ive had a few wobbles to say the least and am increasing worried this is just not going to go away and have wobbles of how i am hoing to cope if it doesnt....can anyone give some advice?? Any help appreciated.

2. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      A warm welcome to Tinnitus Tracyr1,
      I think its down to the virus in your system from your cough and sore throat.
      Tinnitus can take a while to go from infections taking a few weeks to settle.

You can try steam inhalation to clear any mucous hanging around in your tubes ,do it for two days see if it helps.
      I don't think it's the blood transfusion .....lots of love glynis

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Tracyr1

Tracyr1 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Thanks Glynis.... I am hoping it has something to do with a virus.. Ive been to the Docs on several occassions,to check for anything. They say i have no ear infection and doesnt think its anything to do with my throat but hoping once my ENT appoinment comes through , itl either be away, or they will see something.. Ps.. Forgot to say i had ear wax impact and a couple of weeks ago had the suction to remove it , hoping that would have cleared but ...no!!!.. Still there!... Ive got to say its had an effect on my life so much in such a short time..from a confident ,extrovert im turing into someone who's quite anxious at times and losing soem confidence!!.. I do try my best to forget it but sometimes its just so hard... I listen to white noise(cats purring) at night to try and get to sleep..sometimes helps,sometimes not.. Thinking of going back to docs to ask for antibiotics but just dont know what to get the antibiotics for!!

• Like Like x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    4. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure

Welcome to the forum. There are many great threads on TT which can help a new T sufferer. Here is an excellent thread started by a member on what to do when you are new with tinnitus and stressed out. I added some comments to the OP’s thread, but you can scroll up to post #1 to read up on the excellent suggestions by the original poster.

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/new-and-stressed-with-tinnitus-read-this-first.3978/#post-40275

TT also has this excellent support thread which besides giving you some excellent masking sounds with an audio player, it also contains tips and step by step instructions for newer sufferers. It contains link to the Positivity Thread, a sleep thread, as well as links to ATA & BTA for more useful info. The more you learn about T, the less you will be fearful of it and the easier for the brain to stay calm. Here is the link for it: ((the icons on the left side give you step-by-step instructions what to do and the audio player is highlighted by the hypertext ‘our player’)

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/panic/

When tinnitus is new or at a new irritating level, and the ringing is causing much anxiety and panic, it is advisable to get masking going so you won’t be so anxious and fearful. Stress and anxiety are toxic to T. So try masking if you haven’t done so. I used to mask all day just to prevent panic attacks from hearing my ultra high pitch loud dog whistle T. Try these if you haven't yet:

1) Mask at bed time so you can sleep better. Find whatever sounds/music that are soothing to you. You can use a sound machine or sound pillow for this, or a computer with speakers.

2) If you need masking on the go, try load an ipod with nature sounds or music using itune, or use smart phone. You can also order some nature sounds via ‘itune’ to play on your PC.

3) If you have computer and speakers, you can try these excellent masking sounds:

TT's audio player: https://www.tinnitustalk.com/audioplayer/

or this online sound library, particularly the self-mix nature sounds: http://mynoise.net/

or download free sound generator ‘aire freshener’: http://www.peterhirschberg.com/mysoftware.html

or search youtube with words like 'tinnitus masking sounds', 'white noise', 'rain sound' etc.

So, relax. There are many things one can do to get better. Try to read up as many success stories as you can to give you hope and to learn the proven insights, strategies or approaches. Just copy success and emulate how others got better. Don't panic and despair. You will get better. Good life can be back. Believe it and be positive about the future. This will reduce your stress level and T will be easier to handle. Take good care and God bless.

• Like Like x 2