New to the Site — To Me a Night's Sleep Is Like a Reset Button on My Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Phil Czajkowski, Sep 25, 2018.

1. Phil Czajkowski
      Curious

Phil Czajkowski Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hearing loss in right ear
      Hello all, Thanks for letting me be apart of this forum. I have been a tinnitus sufferer since 2007. Mostly I can manage my tinnitus. However, yesterday my tinnitus spiked really bad, the loudest it had ever been.

To sleep, I usually use a earbud in my right ear and mask out my tinnitus with Violet Noise. This worked, and today my tinnitus is back to something manageable.

So my question is what is about night sleep that can change the intensity of the noise. To me a night's sleep is like a reset button on my tinnitus. Is this a common thing with the tinnitus.

2. Jack Straw
      Balanced

Jack Straw Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      1990s
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Infection, Acoustic Trauma
      Welcome to the forum!

This is the case with my tinnitus. If I don't get good sleep, I notice my T is worse too but it may be because I am more easily anxious when I don't get good sleep. We all know anxiety can make us perceive T worse than it is.

I don't know of any scientific papers or articles to back this up. This is just anecdotal evidence.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Phil Czajkowski
      Curious

Phil Czajkowski Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thanks Jack, as I always said Tinnitus is a fickle mistress.

4. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      Yes, good REM sleep will hep tinnitus to calm for many people while sleep deprivation will worsen it. Some people find out that waking up from a short nap can mean loud tinnitus due to a process called 'awakening response' as some would call it. The brain is trying to monitor our vital signs upon waking to make sure we are ok and ready for activity. Unfortunately the brain has somehow erroneously think that tinnitus is also a vital sign. So it monitors it to make sure it is there and brings it out front and center to our senses thereby making it sound real loud. My goodness!

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Phil Czajkowski
      Curious

Phil Czajkowski Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I have had that happen to me. I would be having a good day, and I fall asleep and wake up my T being loud. Thanks for the info

6. coffee_girl
      Innocent

coffee_girl Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      All my life, but got worse 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced / Concert
      My T always stays the same, nothing changes it....except coffee =[

• Like Like x 1