New to This, About 2 Weeks In... Please Provide Encouragement.

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by bethcoast_, Aug 3, 2017.

1. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      bethcoast_

bethcoast_ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Anxiety/Unknown
      Thank you for your tips. I'm stressing about it because I keep thinking about it. I definitely need to get out of the loop. My A/C is on right now because it's hot in my room. I guess I should turn it off?

I'm taking prednisone right now and I went to a concert after onset. Stupid choice but I wore soft foam ear plugs. Thank you for the tips

2. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Just listen to your body. If your A/C sounds too loud to you, then you would definitely want to turn it off. If it doesn't and you are not getting a spike in your T afterwards, then you ought to be ok. If you get a spike and are not sure why it is happening to you, then you might try to turn off the A/C and see whether that helps with your spike.

3. jer

jer Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      No, your ac is fine. I was more talking about loud places, events and sounds that are over the normal hearing threshold that can cause damage.

• Agree Agree x 1
    4. Freeatlast

Freeatlast Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sound
      How many hours were you on that club when you got T?

5. newbieT

newbieT Member

Tinnitus Since:
      4/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      3 hours. it was a small club with big speakers

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      bethcoast_

bethcoast_ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Anxiety/Unknown
      Update: So yesterday although I was extremely exhausted, I had moments of silence and felt up to going to the local fair. I did wear ear plugs (the correct way) but there were moments where I didn't have them in yet and there were loud crowds. Today I hear ringing but not as bad as other days. Should I see this spike go down? I read to stay away from loud noises but also not to be too sensitive with them as they still need sound exposure.

Let me know what you all think, I'll stay away from the fair and continue to meditate and do CBT

7. Nike

Nike Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/01/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Combination of Ototoxicity, Noise & Stress
      Hi Bethany,
      Your symptoms sounds very familiar. I had similar symptoms when I got tinnitus and it was indeed hell. I lost a lot weight. The good news is you will get better. Hang in there. I'm a christian so I prayed and trusted God and now I'm a lot better and almost back to normal. Try avoiding food additives and excess salt for now. Drink a lot of water and avoid caffeine. Use ginger, garlic and onions generously in your food. Can't really explain what made me have tinnitus. It started after a series of events. Relief came for me when I started eating onions and garlic and drinking chamomile tea once in a while. You may want to cook with garlic rather than eating it. It seemed my ear was congested with mucus.Doctor could not explain what happened to me but my God healed me and I pray he heals you too. You will be fine.

• Like Like x 1
    8. Nike

Nike Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/01/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Combination of Ototoxicity, Noise & Stress
      You should also see an ENT but don't get discouraged if they say they can't do anything for you.I got a shot of prednisone in the first week of onset. I felt better for a few days and then hell was let lose. Not sure if it contributed to my recovery.

9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      bethcoast_

bethcoast_ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Anxiety/Unknown
      Hi there,

Thank you for your tips and encouragement. It's at a minimum now but very annoying. The hardest thing for me is staying asleep at night and the fluctuating ringing of it. It is so high pitched at times that it hurts my head. I am a believer in God as well and know he will give me the strength to endure this. This too shall pass.

• Like Like x 1
    10. maltese
      Batty

maltese Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Club
      Okay, very important thing - think about tinnitus as little as possible (I know it can be really hard). There's no reason to believe you won't make a full recovery (or at least improve significantly) so there's no reason to be anxious - don't let your brain start seeing tinnitus as a threat.

Take care and protect your hearing in the future :)

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    11. Vicki14
      Panicky

Vicki14 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress
      Absolutely! My T got much worse after micro Suction even though the Audiologist ASSURED me there was no risk!! I regret this, a lot! :(

• Hug Hug x 1
    12. Christophe_85
      Alone

Christophe_85 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      November 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure...
      But when you were listening through your headphones, was it quite loud ?

You know the thing is that T is different for everyone, and yes it can either disappear, either get less strong with time or I think some changes in your way to live...

I don't pray but I send you some positive vibrations...

13. Christophe_85
      Alone

Tinnitus Since:
      November 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure...
      It got much stronger than before ???

14. jer

jer Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      It can be a big risk yes. I got my wax removed about a week ago. It was done by hand with a scraper by an ENT. For people with tinnitus, this is the only way I can recommend.

15. Vicki14
      Panicky

Vicki14 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress
      Hi @Christope_85
      Definitely yes! :( it was a soft hissing before which I could very easily mask and forget about. Now I have a loud ringing/hissing with hypercausis. It's the regret which is difficult for me to accept. Waking every morning with the knot in your stomach and racing heart is just so soul destroying x

• Hug Hug x 2
    16. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      bethcoast_

bethcoast_ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Anxiety/Unknown
      Update: I finally slept the other day without medication, although woke up to it screaming managed to go to sleep again. Yesterday was like an electric sound through my brain all day but very faint, thank god. I guess this is the hiss sound? Still here today but I will take it over ringing and hopefully day by day it will fade to nothing bothersome. I appreciate all of your advice.

• Like Like x 2
    17. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      If you switched from a high pitch tone to a hiss in less than a month, then it looks like you are well on your way to recovery. A hiss is easier to ignore than the high pitch tone, and for a hiss the reduction in volume before you can't hear it is less than that for a high pitch tone.

• Like Like x 1
    18. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      bethcoast_

bethcoast_ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Anxiety/Unknown
      I should note I have been doing meditation, CBT (back to silence method) and acupuncture once a week while taking ginkgo biloba. I also drastically changed my diet to all raw veggies and plain chicken with fruit and only water. This helped with maintaining my energy throughout this hell. I also took a weeks worth of prednisone (50mg) It's hard to tell if any of these has had an effect but it definitely played a factor I'm sure. I work at a call center and notice that being near a computer and head set makes it worse, when I'm not at work it's much easier to forget about and handle. I may need to find another job, if only it were that easy.

Going forward I am carrying my ear plugs every where with me.

• Like Like x 3
    19. newbieT

newbieT Member

Tinnitus Since:
      4/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      agreed. a changing T is a healing T. my t started off as constant 10Khz super high pitched noise. then slowly it turns into a hiss that goes back and forth to high pitched. then the hiss volume died down and now its a very low hiss and occassoionally high pitchd

• Like Like x 1
    20. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      bethcoast_

bethcoast_ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Anxiety/Unknown
      Have any of you personally flown with T and experienced neutral/postitive/negative experiences? I have a few trips coming up and would like to know preventative measures to take to lessen the likelihood of a spike or return of excruciating T. Please refrain from posting any horror stories or negative outlooks as this places a huge role on my mentality of all this and could be detrimental to my recovery. thank you in advance friends.

21. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      • Like Like x 2
    22. Christophe_85
      Alone

Tinnitus Since:
      November 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure...
      Good Idea ! :)

23. Christophe_85
      Alone

Tinnitus Since:
      November 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure...
      I think if we can take the new Airplanes like A380, it would not be that loud...

24. Christophe_85
      Alone

Tinnitus Since:
      November 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure...
      I am sorry for you... :(

I know about regrets and it is very hard to deal with them... Especially when it was not completely our decision at the first place...

How do you cope with your T and H every day nowadays ?

You already have your Swimming, which is very good !!! :)

25. sirjames
      Confused

sirjames Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Feb/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      tv probably
      You should ask whoever you were with to pay for it, not a loan. You obviously did him a favor. Stay away from sugar and sweets (fruit, cakes, etc) No more than 3 grams at a time. no loud noise, not even TV. Get used to it. Live with it. Welcome to the club.

26. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I often need to fly turboprop planes, and they are loud...
      Flight-Deck-11.jpg

27. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      It has been all positive for me. Flying especially for vacation has not been a problem at all. Using earplane plugs will help balance the pressure changes. Also bring some nasal spray just in case of sinus congestion blocking the Eustachian Tube which is needed for balancing the pressure change. Get chewing gum so you can balance the pressure by chewing. You can yawn too to help opening up the E. Tube.

In my case, I did all the above and had no problem much from flying, even on those long inter-continental flights. Now I just use my fingers during take off. It gets better. Vacation can also bring back fun in life and help you relax. You will find T got faded out a lot during trips when the brain is focused on new and interesting thing. Here is Aaron's success story and look at all the pictures he took by travelling the world after T. What T??? Lol.

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/thread...are-with-you-some-pictures-i-took-after.3268/

28. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      bethcoast_

bethcoast_ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Anxiety/Unknown
      So just another update as I find your support helpful, my T is loudest after sleeping and right before bed. This makes me so curious as to why. The fan in my room seems to cause a spike and it's not very loud. Today is rather louder than yesterday. Hoping that it goes back down.

29. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Try turning it off one day to see whether you still get these spikes. You don't want to do something that causes a spike every day.

30. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      bethcoast_

bethcoast_ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Anxiety/Unknown
      Maybe I'm just focusing on it too much causing it to become louder? Hmmm