New to This, About 2 Weeks In... Please Provide Encouragement.

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by bethcoast_, Aug 3, 2017.

1. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Some people don't get spikes. Others get spikes after a loud sound like a door slamming. It is rare, but there are certainly people on this forum who had reported getting spikes after being exposed to mild noises like that of rain. So it is definitely possible for a fan to cause the volume of your T to go up.

• Agree Agree x 1
    2. Vicki14
      Panicky

Vicki14 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress
      @Christophe_85 Thank you for your kind thoughts. Very true! My swimming is my salvation in this!

If I'm honest, it bothers me a lot every day. I'd say I was no where near habituation! The way I feel is that I'll never get there! My t and seems to be incremental and it just worries me too much that I won't be able to cope with it as I've just not improved at all. We just have to keep hoping we somehow adapt!

How are you doing? X

3. Christophe_85
      Alone

Christophe_85 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      November 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure...
      Ah yes indeed these Planes are quite loud I presume !

What kind of ear muffs do you have ?

4. Christophe_85
      Alone

Tinnitus Since:
      November 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure...
      It's possible, I think everything is possible when we have T...

How do you feel these days ?

5. Christophe_85
      Alone

Tinnitus Since:
      November 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure...
      Yes this is very good ! :)

Same for me... Every day I feel lonely about it and especially affraid because we cannot manage it as we can for many things in Life... It is a very scary feeling that people often don't or can't understand...

Tinnitus really can ruin an entire Life... (especially when associated with Hyperacusis)

In fact, we don't really have the choice to live our Lives day by day... Also scary in some points...

Do you work ? If yes, how do you manage it ?

All the Best !

:)

6. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      3M Peltor X5A

7. Christophe_85
      Alone

Tinnitus Since:
      November 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure...
      Ah ok strong one... :D

I got these :

583646cd-7128-4a62-a2a2-02a4c5dc4a11._SR285,285_.jpg
      But I would like some smaller if I travel... But I think the smaller we get, the less perfomant we got, right ?

8. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I think so. There is no way around it - anyone who wears muffs inside of an airplane is going to look odd. Actually, now that I think of it, one Could wear a long-hair wig covering the muffs. That might work, or that might make one stand out even more.

9. Christophe_85
      Alone

Tinnitus Since:
      November 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure...
      Actually it is not the way I would look in a plane that bothers me... :D

But more like to have a pair of ear muffs more convinient... ;)

10. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      My big (and only) complaint about Peltor muffs is that after a while, my head begins to feel as if it is in a vice. Peltor muffs seem to provide better protection than Bose 35 noise cancelling headphones. But Bose headphones are more comfortable. They were also made to be worn inside of a plane (they are great at reducing steady low-pitch hum like the one inside of a plane). So my plan is to wear peltor muffs during take-off and landing (when it is the noisiest). I plan to wear Bose headphones when the plane reaches its cruising altitude.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    11. Christophe_85
      Alone

Tinnitus Since:
      November 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure...
      I wear my muffs when reading books... So I can be very quiet and I don't hear anything from outside or neighbours... ;)

But the Bose headphones are very expensive ?

Even so I think I will buy them in the near future...

12. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      They are expensive, but if they can prevent even one spike, it would be worth it...

13. Vicki14
      Panicky

Vicki14 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress
      @Christophe_85 Hi, yes, I work in a primary school but admittedly find it difficult some days with kids noise and bells which really freak me out. I enjoy my job and refuse to be forced out of it by tinnitus!! I think that by working, it's good for my mental health. If I had to leave because of T, that would really depress me! X

14. Christophe_85
      Alone

Tinnitus Since:
      November 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure...
      This is very true !!! :)

I think either at the end of the year, either in 2018 I will buy one pair...

Do you already have one ?

Could you help me choosing one ?

15. Christophe_85
      Alone

Tinnitus Since:
      November 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure...
      Ah yes you must have noisy days...

Do you put any earplugs in your ears while you work ?

16. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      bethcoast_

bethcoast_ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Anxiety/Unknown
      Well...I really hesitated to come back on here but I find myself needing some more encouragement, not so much a diagnosis (haha). I was doing quite well for a couple days last week where I heard complete silence ( i know that's not a thing) but you know what I mean. Then it flared up as a buzz, then it's gotten worse and I am back to not sleeping again. I am at work, I am functioning as best as I can, but my thoughts are consumed with this. I am exercising, maybe I need to eat better again. I see my GP in 4 days. I just don't know what the heck to do at this point. I hope that it will just go away on its own. It's been 3 weeks.

• Hug Hug x 1
    17. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      This is a very good sign. Hopefully these pauses will become more frequent, and each will last longer and longer...

18. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      bethcoast_

bethcoast_ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Anxiety/Unknown
      It's disheartening because it was silent for the whole two days, not just moments. I really wish I knew the cause of my tinnitus.

19. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      bethcoast_

bethcoast_ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Anxiety/Unknown
      Hello all, so I went to an outside festival, the bands played every 30 minutes. and the last two bands played an hour each for a total of 6 or 7 bands. The bass was loud but I didn't feel hurt by it and I was a good distance and took breaks. The only concern was during a set where they repeatedly hit their drum bass over and over. I used 33db foam earplugs. The whole time I could hear my T louder because the lack of outside noise, this also happened last week at a movie theatre but I did not experience an increase. I did leave the venue without muffled sound and felt fine but I heard my T a bit louder than earlier that day, it started to whistle over everything and settled down at night. Now I'm a bit worried it won't calm down again. I used a sound meter and the highest it reached was 111db. That would mean that highest db I was exposed to was 78db. I am aware that bass could also aggravate, so please don't tell me I'm stupid for going, I know I took the risks. I'm just curious if maybe a cycle of prednisone may help in this instance as it's been less than 72 hours. Crickets aren't masking my ringing at night now which is most bothersome.

Thanks for any advice :) p.s. the concert was awesome.

20. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      That math doesn't work out as well as you think it does. The attenuation isn't uniform in all frequency bands, and is based on measurements for a perfect fit into the ear. Then you have the issue of sound waves (especially low frequency sounds like the bass drum you were mentioning) going around the ear canal (through bone conduction)... so it's hard to know what you were really exposed to, but it's certainly much much better than going without plugs.

Yup, it's a calculated risk, like everything else.

I'm not sure prednisone would help you at this time. Perhaps NAC could have been wise before going to the concert, maybe still worth a try now.

21. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      bethcoast_

bethcoast_ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Anxiety/Unknown
      Hi Greg,

I've heard of this NAC, what does it stand for? I guess I could google it but chatting is more fun lol

22. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      N-Acetylcysteine.

23. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      bethcoast_

bethcoast_ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Anxiety/Unknown
      So I went to urgent care for sleep aides or prednisone yesterday...this is now the 4th doctor I seen and as soon as she looked in my ears she told me I have an infection. Out the door with allergy meds, amoxicillin and flonase. Why would it take them this long to tell me that? She said because it's not just making its appearance but most likely has been there for weeks. I don't know what to think.