New to This, Any Advice Would Be Much Appreciated!

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Dave T, Oct 19, 2017.

1. Dave T

Dave T Member

Tinnitus Since:
      9/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I'm a 57 year old guy, and I've dealt with mild tinnitus since I could remember. I probably developed it from going to loud concerts back in my college days. My tinnitus (until recently) was only noticeable in a quiet room, kind of a low leaves rustling sound, with some high pitched overtones. It bothered me enough that I once saw a doctor about it years ago, who told me that nothing could be done. But it was mild and I didn't think about it much. Not at all noticeable when there were other sounds in my environment. To me, it just became the ever present music of the spheres of the world I live in.

Then, about two weeks ago, I woke in the morning and it was 1000 times worse. Only in my left ear, I heard a high pitched tone. Very loud, much louder than anything else - I could overhear it over anything. And just in the left ear. I went to see a prominent ear doctor at Mass Eye and Ear in Boston, who my wife knows. She had a hearing test done on me, and it showed that I had significant loss at the 4000 Hz range, and then it went back up. I vaguely recall that that was what my hearing test showed when I last had it done, maybe 10 years ago. And both my ears were the same, which wouldn't explain why I suddenly have such loud tinnitus in my left ear.

So after about a week of the severe tinnitus, it fairly suddenly dropped in volume, to maybe half of what it was. It's been like that ever since (maybe two weeks). I've found that I can get temporary relief by listening to the "tittinus therapy" videos on youtube...

So does anyone have any idea what might be going on with me, what a possible treatment could be, and/or if it will go away on its own?

My wife (who likes to do internet medical research), is telling me about a subcutaneous vagus nerve stimulator that shows promise. Others talk about audio therapy...

I do have an appointment in a couple weeks with a tinnitus therapist. I would prefer someone who is in touch with the cutting edge stuff though, and I'm not sure if this person only does the same old therapies with little result.

2. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Hi @Dave T

Due to the hearing loss that you have your brain is trying to compensate by turning up its internal gain. Rather like a volume control, in an attempt to hear the frequencies that your ears cannot pickup. Whilst doing this it also increases background activity within your auditory system and will also increase the Tinnitus. Once you are seen by your hearing therapist, I suspect you will be advised about wearing a hearing aid/s. This will supply your auditory system and brain with the missing frequencies that at present it cannot pick-up. After a while the brain will turn down its internal gain as it is being supplied with additional sound from the outside environment. At the same time the tinnitus will reduce.

Michael

3. Greg Sacramento

Greg Sacramento Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing + Somatic tinnitus from dental work
      @Dave T I had brought relative to Mass Eye and Ear when I lived outside of Boston Cambridge. You may be seeing some somatic effects. It could be your neck or spine. Muscle tension, age related arthritis and joint hypertrophy. I have these problems and I have a high pitch in left ear. I also had tinnitus before this. I'm a little older than you.

If this relates to you at all, be careful lifting and bending neck. Most somatic high pitch ringing is focused more in one ear and it relates to the neck and/or jaw. Read some threads on somatic tinnitus. Use the search above. We can talk more if you wish.

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Dave T

Dave T Member

Tinnitus Since:
      9/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Thanks for the responses, I really appreciate it!

Michael - regarding using a hearing aid, not sure if it's relevant, but outside that narrow band around 4kHz, my hearing is excellent. I am usually the first person in a group of people to hear something others didn't hear, etc. But if a hearing aid will help, I am all for it.

Greg - funny you should mention neck/spine. The doctor I saw at Mass Eye and Ear mentioned that as a possibility as well. I will research somatic tennitis. I also actually have an appointment next week to work with a physical therapist on my neck and spine.

Thanks again! I'm glad I found this site/board.