New to This Ringing, Not Doing So Well

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Adam R, Oct 22, 2017.

1. Adam R

Adam R Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown, maybe loud music
      Four days ago, on October 17 I was at work when I heard a sudden loud ringing in my ear. I had had this happen a few times before but it would go away within a few moments.

This time, the volume subsided a bit, but didn't go away. Since then it's been on nonstop. The first few nights I slept somewhat ok (I did take sleeping pills a couple nights), but last night I didn't sleep at all.

Now I'm feeling pretty much screwed. If I can't sleep I can't function and work to provide for my family. The ringing itself was difficult at work last week, but I was able to get myself through it focusing on one thing at a time. If I'm driving or talking with someone, I don't really notice it.

But at night when I'm trying to sleep it's been really hard. That's my immediate concern, is getting sleep. Do you have any tips for sleeping with this?

I'm going to use Klonopin for a few days, but I'm hoping there's some chance I can avoid becoming a Klonopin addict longer term. But I really need to break the cycle for now using Klonopin to get through the next few days. Last night, I hate to admit it but the thought of ending it came into my mind a few times. Not that I would do that now - too much financial stuff to setup for the family, plus I think I'd rather be around to see them even if I'm a zombie.

But those thoughts can be hard to ignore. As for docs, I've seen my GP (nothing interesting there), and got a referral for an ENT this coming Friday.

Please let me know if there's any hope for me.

Sorry for the disorganized post, I'm running on no sleep.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
      • Creative Creative x 1
    2. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      Of course there is hope: most T cases get better with time.
      Go through the medical diagnosis process, and don't settle for "it's stress". Do hearing tests, imaging (MRI, CT), etc... Follow the Diagnostic Flowchart.

3. Kolisar
      No Mood

Kolisar Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      birth?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      @Adam R , @GregCA is correct. most T cases do get better with time.

@Bill Bauer wrote the following post discussing studies that show a fairly high recovery rate from tinnitus ( https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/spontaneous-recovery-stats-over-70-recover-3-studies.21441/ )

He is also correct in that you should get the appropriate testing done. There are may causes for tinnitus, some of which can be addressed and can help with the symptoms.

For some additional information on tinnitus, treatments, and advice on habituation I would recommend reading the following post by @Michael Leigh https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/tinnitus-a-personal-view.18668/ .

It is also important to not worry (I know, I know, easier said than done). Many people here have had success with maintaining a positive attitude.

Michael Leigh wrote the following, excellent post on the importance of positivity: https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/is-positivity-important.23150/ and the following on negativity and tinnitus
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/tinnitus-and-the-negative-mindset.23705/

and @billie48 wrote his success story demonstrating how positivity helped him habituate.
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/thread...w-i-recovered-from-tinnitus-hyperacusis.3148/

you will find numbers posts on this forum with others stating how remaining positive helped them cope with tinnitus.

There is always hope. Your tinnitus is very new (days), so, while it feels like an eternity, you have a good chance of recovery. Also, in the event that the symptoms do not go away (and I am sorry to say but that it a possibility, some of us here have had this for a very long time) you can learn to habituate and you will be able to regain your normal life, be able to work, and do virtually everything you could do before (obviously, if your hearing is adversely affected that may result in some restrictions). Try not to worry too much, and try not to focus on the ringing. A lot of people find that they do not notice it when there is other noise in the room, of they are occupied with something. You also may be able to mask your tinnitus with other sounds, look into a sound machine (you want more than just white noise). I know many people have had luck masking high pitched ringing with rain or shower sounds. If you google "tinnitus masking sounds" you will find numerous youtube videos with good backing sounds, and extracting the audio from a youtube video is simple enough of you want to put it onto you phone to listen to while at work without chewing through your data plan or worrying about your cell reception at the office.

I wish you luck, please keep up updated on your progress.

• Like Like x 2
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Adam R

Adam R Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown, maybe loud music
      Thanks for the responses and helpful information.

With the combination of Klonopin and a beta-blocker, I eventually got about 3 hours sleep last night. Better than none the night before for sure.

I'm going to try to stay positive and go about my life today. Maybe with the right attitude I can reduce my stress and thus get better sleep.

• Like Like x 2
    5. Mike Evangelo
      Wishful

Mike Evangelo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      September 9, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I've found that eating bananas before bed helps me sleep well! Try doing any kind of exercise as well before bed as this will help you get tired. Anything but the sleeping pills!!!

Also try this :
      People with Tinnitus try the "Reddit...
      . It helps give me temporary relief from ringing in my right ear. Good luck.

Mike

• Funny Funny x 1
    6. Steffi

Steffi Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music (initially)
      @Adam R
      My T definitely got better over time though it took months. In the beginning my T would wake me up at night. In the stillness of the night it felt like the loudest sound ever. I would often use an app with the sound of a loud ticking clock or ocean waves. Mine induced panic attacks and anxiety and I thought I’d never function properly again. Over time it lessened and / or I simply stopped noticing it / reacting to it. I can hear it now as I write as I’m focusing on it. I find it helps to talk about it. I tell people I have T and it astounds me how many others suffer too. Mine was noise induced at a concert and still reacts to sound. After a day in the classroom it’s a 9/10 but quickly baselines to a much lower volume. I hope things improve for you.

• Like Like x 3
    7. MBH

MBH Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Overloaded stress
      For sleeping I take a shower to calm down I take 2 melonton 2 tyenol pm I relax first to wind chimes then ocean sounds and sleep all night. I stick to a routine.

• Like Like x 1
    8. Brenda Marsh
      Terrified

Brenda Marsh Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Hello, I'm new too. My tinnitus started a week ago today. It woke me up with high pitched noise. I broke my wrist in September and had to bed placed on xanax and tramadol for pain and anxiety. I am not on any meds RX or otherwise. I discovered I had claustrophobia due to the casting of my wrist. I took the lowest dose of the medications and quit them cold turkey on October 18th. My ortho told me to take 800 mg of Ibuprofen for pain if needed. I took 600mg of ibuprofen and had started rhodiola that day for anxiety, right before I woke up with the tinnitus. I had some accupuncture today to help with the stress. I am currently off work as I cannot work due to my wrist fracture. I need some support badly. I have an amazon alexa which has sounds. My question is I have a concern about keeping earbuds in your ears all the time. I don't have them loud. But my poor ears never get silence anymore and that scares me.

• Like Like x 1
    9. jjflyman

jjflyman Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise (Concert)
      I'm no doctor, but anxiety medications or Ibuprofen "can" cause ringing. If I were you, I would cut out anxiety meds , and stop with the earbuds. Get a noise machine that sounds like rain (or download a free app for your smartphone) Sometimes it takes weeks for the ringing to stop after you quit a medication that may be causing it.
      Just my opinion.

• Agree Agree x 1
    10. Brenda Marsh
      Terrified

Brenda Marsh Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Thank you. I am off all the meds and stopping ear buds today. My wrist is a great source of stress so I'm hoping if I can get my stress down i'll be ok