New to This "T" Thing :-(

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by John Meyers, Oct 7, 2015.

1. John Meyers
      Artistic

John Meyers Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Just One (1) Loud Rock Concert!
      Hello Fellow Tinnitus Fighters.

The letter "T" has taken on a whole new meaning for me since Sept 15, 2015.

I decided to cup my hands behind my ears to hear Angus Young's guitar solos at an AC/DC concert. Man, what a drunken mistake. -- My ears really didn't ring bad the next day but got progressively worse the week following.

It has been over 3 weeks and 2 different doctors said my hearing is near perfect and this will go away in 6 to 12 months. -- I hope they are right.

I never listen to loud anything and can't believe this occurred from just one outdoor concert at Wrigley Field!

Frustrated with researching quick cures and methods. I diverted my attention to exercising and eating better which helps some of the time. However, I took a sleep aid last night and the ringing is crazy today.

My iPhone's white noise does helps a lot at night and I am able to sleep. Thank God.

Any advise is welcome. I have a family and busy business so no time to get depressed although it sure is tempting! :(

2. joseph Ghass
      Angelic

joseph Ghass Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2015
      Hi john,

I have been suffering from tinnitus for 8 months because of hearing loss in one ear.

That first phase ( 6 months)will be tough for all but after that tinnitus will start fading very slowely and you get habituated to it.

so give it time and make sure to stay busy.

• Like Like x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      John Meyers
      Artistic

John Meyers Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thanks Joseph,

Your recent post along those same lines is what brought me to this forum. -- All I kept seeing online were sad tinnitus stories and 100s of "possible" remedies. -- Your post uplifted me for a change.

Is your hearing loss/T from a 'one-time event' like a loud concert as well?

• Like Like x 1
    4. joseph Ghass
      Angelic

joseph Ghass Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2015
      Yes but not from a concert but from my cars left airbag 'exploding' unexpectedly when I was driving.

plus dont listen to any sad story which states that tinnitus will not fade away. For 90% of people it will fade in 1to 2years. Just make sure to rule out any health issue, exercise and dont take any medications like xanax. They help short term but not long term.

try to adapt to it right now until it gets better.

5. joseph Ghass
      Angelic

joseph Ghass Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2015
      Try to take the basic supplements I mentioned in my previous post especially omega 3 as it helps with the recovery of nerves.

• Like Like x 1
    6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      John Meyers
      Artistic

John Meyers Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Wow. Sorry to hear Joseph. Glad to hear that you are finally recovering.

I am looking into this "AM-101" study/proceedure. Seems a little extreme but they only take folks who have had tinnitus for less than 3 months. -- I guess I have nothing to lose if it is Free.

I'll post an update after they fill me in on how it works. Thanks much, John

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      John Meyers
      Artistic

John Meyers Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Can I get the Omega 3s over the counter at Walgreen's or should I go to a GNC-type store?

8. joseph Ghass
      Angelic

joseph Ghass Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2015
      Yeah, go for it. You have nothing to lose. Best of luck john.

9. joseph Ghass
      Angelic

joseph Ghass Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2015
      Anywhere you want but make sure to take the proper dose around 2-3 g of omega3 oil. Usually 2 pills has 0.8g. It depends on the quality of the product. one can of sardine has 0.8g of omega3.

• Useful Useful x 1
    10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      John Meyers
      Artistic

John Meyers Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Got it. Thanks Joseph! -- AM-101 is already pre-screening me. They didn't waste any time!

• Like Like x 1
    11. joseph Ghass
      Angelic

joseph Ghass Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2015
      Great! Hope it helps.

12. Vincent R
      Caffeine

Vincent R Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      If you're lucky, your T might soften up a little within the first year. That has happened to me. Save from that, unless your T is too loud, you'll get used to it.

DON'T allow anything to happen that makes it worse. Be VERY catious with antibiotics and antidepressants. NEVER trust any doctors on this issue. ALWAYS do your own research. Also, consider taking precautions so you don't get caught with any nasty, loud sound (i.e. carry ear plugs in unsafe enviroments).

Stability is the key. There's a lot of T-sufferers around here that where perfectly habituated when they got caught with some pointless BS.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    13. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      John Meyers
      Artistic

John Meyers Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thanks Vincent. I am signing up for the AM-101 treatment before I hit my 3 months.

It is a pain but they pay for the procedure, hotel stays, and mileage (it is a 6 hour drive from Chicago :-(

Thanks much for your insight. I will follow your instructions too.

14. Robert44

Robert44 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud concert
      I agree totally. The key is to not make it worse. I always carry earplugs. Don't be shy about using them. At first I was reluctant but now I take them out whenever i need to. We must protect our ears .

15. Peter61

Peter61 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2012
      Hi John,
      It's hard to imagine you got T from just one single rock concert. I assume you have visited more of them in the past ? It's a fact that hearing damage builds up gradually and cumulatively, so you might not have noticed any symptoms like ringing ears so far, but the foundation for those symptoms had already been laid. When a certain limit of damage has been reached, that's the point where the chronic T sets in. It may get better and slowly decrease in volume, but avoid loud noise from now on. Regard it as a warning. And I'm not just talking about rock concerts. This also goes for cinemas, clothing stores, nightclubs, sports events etc. Loud noise is all over the place, unfortunately we live in a noise culture. The human hearing was not made for that.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    16. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      John Meyers
      Artistic

John Meyers Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thank you Peter. Living near O'Hare Airport and going downtown often, that tip is really appreciated.

I rarely go to concerts and the last one 5 years ago (Paul McCartney which wasn't very loud from a T point of view).

I know that cupping my hands to hear the AC/DC guitar solos louder is what did me in. I remember feeling a burning sensation and then I would stop. -- What kills me is that I didn't even want to go to the show since I have seen them before but someone had a ticket at the last minute and I felt obliged to go.

I am trying the AM-101 procedure and hopefully won't get the placebo. -- They pay for the procedure, hotel stays, and mileage (300 miles for me from Chicago to Louisville). -- If I get the placebo, they will pay for everything again with the real deal but it is a race against time since they want it done within 3 months if possible.

I am also taking Ginko, Omega-3, eating greens, getting good sleep, and exercising more. -- I just keep telling myself that this is God's way to get me in better shape/health.. :)

• Like Like x 1
    17. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      May be some of those members with negative result have received the placebo. Don't give up on a trial easily. I like your last paragraph, some positive attitude with faith in God. The more calm and positive we are, the less the brain will focus on T and the less chance of huge spikes. The brain learns from us that if life goes on and you are positive and calm and willing to co-exist peacefully with T, then the brain accepts the presence of T and not consider it a threat (because by your actions you are telling the brain it is ok, life goes on with T), and then hopefully the brain will learn to fade out T from consciousness when you are busy or able to ignore it. That is the beginning of habituation. Take good care and God bless your recovery.

• Like Like x 2
    18. joseph Ghass
      Angelic

joseph Ghass Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2015
      Hi john, whats ur update?

19. Tamika
      No Mood

Tamika Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      One loud indoor concert
      Do not doubt it. It certainly is possible. I am not a person to go to loud concerts. I went to one event (wasn't even a rock concert) with my husband - front row at a small venue. Didn't know it was going to be a loud event, or that you could be damaged by just one concert either. Did not know the risks or that you should wear earplugs. I suffered massive hearing loss the next day and now permanent T.

20. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      John Meyers
      Artistic

John Meyers Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hello Joseph Ghass,

Everything is still the same. I can hear the ringing pretty much all the time except for when I am working out, showering, or have my masking device on. -- On occasion, I do get a slight pain on both sides and it goes into higher pitch. Seems to be more on the right side now. No idea what all this means but I'm not going to keep self-diagnosing myself anymore.

Like you, a couple other people mentioned that since my hearing wasn't effected and it was just once concert, most likely it will diminish in the coming months.

The Omega 3s, Ginko, etc don't really seem to be doing much but I'm still popping them every day. I'm just trying to stay busy and positive.

How are you doing? -- Sounds like you are pretty far along with mending (or habituating whatever that is :) ..

21. joseph Ghass
      Angelic

joseph Ghass Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2015
      Yeah, it is just a matter a time.

As for me, the sounds are softening more and more.

hopefully by the end of the year, I will get through this.

It is just ridiculous how they didnt create a treatment yet for this.

22. Tim87

Tim87 Member

Tinnitus Since:
    23. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      John Meyers
      Artistic

John Meyers Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hello Tim. I decided not to participate in AM-101 since the closest facility is 5 hours away.

They pay for hotel and mileage, however, if I get the placebo, I would need to start all over again.

Several studies show that 80% of people rid of T within 12 months without any procedures (especially when they get it from one time incidents).

It seems that many who participate in AM-101 would be experiencing a recovery after a few months anyway (but are reporting a recovery as a result of AM-101). -- I hope I'm wrong since there needs to be some kind of cure for the millions who suffer from it. -- I see a lot of folks really struggling with it and my heart goes out to them.

If I lived closer to the treatment center and had more time to spare, I would give it a shot. -- In the meantime, I am exercising, staying busy, masking (a lot to trick my mind), eating healthier, staying positive, and praying for a quick recovery for everyone suffering from T.

24. eric peterson
      Sporty

eric peterson Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Onset: 10/2003 Increase: 04/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      who knows? who cares?
      @John Meyers at less than 2 months in, I did not have your can do, positive attitude. Whether or not your T 'goes away', John, you're going to be fine.

• Like Like x 1
    25. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      John Meyers
      Artistic

John Meyers Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thanks Eric Peterson.

In week 3, I was slipping into a depression (I have fought depression before T which makes me laugh now), however, this forum (and your input) slapped me out of it. -- I've decided to take this on as challenge (not an ailment) that I will overcome.

I have been exercising like a mad man (no ringing ears at the gym :) so I think my healthier living is also offsetting the annoyance of T.

Lastly, a Cicada noise iPhone app drowns out the ringing. -- I listen to that when driving or working at my desk. -- My brain takes a while to find the ringing again when I stop so the cicadas have become my friends too. :beeranimation:

• Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    26. svg1204

svg1204 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/04/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Headphones maybe?not sure really.
      Im on the same boat, the only difference is that I've been on clonazepam for 3 weeks , but I'm already slowly tapering off , and I'm just gonna ride it out, sometimes is so low I can bearly hear it now ,I got my t sept 4th.

27. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      John Meyers
      Artistic

John Meyers Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I should ask my doctor for Clonazepam. -- My T is always there and I would love it if I could only hear it when I was in a quiet situation.

Is Clonazepam just a temporary fix? -- If yes, does it at least it gets you through the first month or 2 of having T?

I've never seen a health issue with so many possible (but usually not permanent) remedies.

28. svg1204

svg1204 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/04/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Headphones maybe?not sure really.
      Clonazepam is a addictive drug I think is good for temporary and it has helped me, lower and control my t, but the tapering part is the one you have to do slowly I never tok more than 0.5mg per day and I split it in two,0.25 in the morning and the other half at night , now I'm doing half that for the next week and and a half and then half that for another week and half and day every other day that until I'm off

29. DanielN
      Woot

DanielN Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Welcome, I am having a similar time, but my anxiety is getting the better of me this past week. I start TRT very soon. Trying to stay upbeat and busy and calm but still a little panicy especially at work.

30. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      John Meyers
      Artistic

John Meyers Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hang in there Daniel. It will get better.

What is "TRT"?