New to Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by CrazyT, Aug 17, 2017.

1. CrazyT
      Benevolent

CrazyT Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08-2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Doxycycline and Quinine HCL
      I just got tinnitus a week ago, and its been driving me nuts. Couldn't sleep the first two days at all, and it feels super loud at night. I'd been taking doxycycline 200mg/day for lyme for 1 week prior, and I thought I could add half a quinine HCL tablet(50mg) for babesia infection. Big mistake, I lost hearing in my right ear for a few days, and had intense tinnitus at the same time. As of now it seems it has subsided alittle bit, but not much. I went to ENT yesterday and they said my hearing was fine and that my tinnitus is not permanent, with a possibility of it lasting 2 months.

I don't know how I'm going to handle this as I'm going back to college in a few weeks.

2. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      HI @CrazyT

Please read the post below.

New to tinnitus what to do?

The onset of loud intrusive tinnitus can be traumatic for most people. I use the words loud and intrusive, because tinnitus comes in many forms and intensities. When it is mild, moderate or occasionally heard in quiet surroundings it is usually not too bothersome and a person can go about their daily affairs quite happily and unperturbed by this anomaly. This type of tinnitus usually comes on gradually and in some cases it’s associated with hearing loss, as we get older and the usual treatment is the wearing of hearing aid/s.

Tinnitus can be caused by other things: an underlying medical problem, build up of ear wax (cerumen). Jaw problems. Some medications and even irregular blood flow through the body causing Pulsatile tinnitus. The most common cause is exposure to loud noise or music that has been played at high levels that can affect the cochlea in the ear. This type of tinnitus can be loud, intrusive and very debilitating. Often leaving a person at a loss and not knowing which way to turn to escape the noise. I fully understand how difficult it can be for someone new to this condition to take this in and believe it to be factual.

If you are having difficulty sleeping you might have been advised to try a night time sedation or an ant-depressant to help cope with the stress and anxiety that often accompanies tinnitus. These medications can be helpful especially in the early stages and they don’t have to be taken long term, so it’s something to consider. They can act as a safety net so you don’t become too down. A referral to ENT will usually be recommended. In the mean time try to keep occupied with something you like doing, as it helps to distract the brain from focusing on the tinnitus. Avoiding quiet rooms during the day by playing low level non intrusive music such as classical in the background can be helpful.

At night a sound machine placed by the bedside playing nature sounds or listening to favourite mp3 tracks or Cds are good. Keeping the volume just below the tinnitus is ideal and set to play throughout the night until morning. It takes time to get used to sound therapy so please stay with it. Whilst in a deep sleep it supplies the brain and auditory system with sound enrichment. Over time the tinnitus is pushed further into the background helping to make its perception less noticeable during waking hours.

In the early stages of tinnitus, if one chooses not to use sound enrichment sleeping can sometimes be difficult and there’s also the chance of the tinnitus becoming more intrusive as sleeping in a quiet room can allow the brain to increase it’s own background activity. In doing so it will also increase the tinnitus making it more intrusive during waking hours. There is a tendency for newbies to try and cure their tinnitus which is quite understandable. There are many remedies, treatments and concoctions out there. Some affordable others quite expensive. I am not adverse to trying to help myself but want to say, there are charlatans and con artists eager to relieve someone in distress of their money so please be careful. Even tried and tested treatments I wouldn’t recommend a person try until they have been seen at ENT. Often a person after been seen at ENT is advised to wait a while.

The reason being. Many people habituate to tinnitus within six months sometimes a little longer and it has been known to go away. The ear is a very delicate organ and many Drs prefer to wait before investigating further and then suggesting a treatment. If other problems are experienced such as: pain in the ears, deafness, dizziness or balance problems this is of more concern and a person will usually been seen quicker. It is best to have a word with your GP if you’re feeling stressed or depressed in any way, as previously mentioned there are treatments available. Leaving things alone until ENT advise you of the next step is the best thing to do in my opinion. Don’t try to fix anything or throw large sums of money at treatments that you have no way of knowing whether you’ll get any relief.

It is not advisable to listen to audio through headphones even at low volume and keep away from loud sounds. By all means go out but anywhere that plays loud music then wear noise reducing earplugs.
      Take things slowly and one day at a time. Read some of the positivity threads and ask other members for advice. Many people eventually habituate to their tinnitus and go on to lead a happy and fulfilling life even though it may take a little time.

Please click on the links below and read the articles on tinnitus that you might find helpful. Try to read them in full and not skim through them.

All the best

Michael

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/tinnitus-a-personal-view.18668/

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/hyperacusis-as-i-see-it.19174/

• Informative Informative x 2
      • Useful Useful x 1
    3. fishbone
      Shitfaced

fishbone Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud noise and very bad sickness
      Certain meds can bring on tinnitus. In time, you can adapt to it. All of us deal with it, some have severe high pitched tinnitus (like myself) and we still make an effort to live our lives. Stress and anger just irritates the tinnitus and can make it louder.

Try to remain calm, this is scary....I get it. It is a shock, you will be ok just give it time. it's a day by day thing..

Take care :)

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    4. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      Welcome and sorry about your suffering with T while trying to study. At this initial stage of T suffering, it is normal to be a bit hard to focus and concentrate and trying to keep positive. Don't blame yourself for that and don't despair either. There are many young folks who have T and still studying. After the initial struggle, they do manage to study and get their degree. Some even going to medical school after T and so you should not be too worried about that. Here are some people who have struggled very tough with their T initially but are continuing with their college/university studies or even going onto medical school:

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/anybody-going-to-grad-school.7212/

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/tinnitus-university-college-success.7997/

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/came-back-to-say-it-really-does-get-better.6166/

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/i-finally-get-out-of-hell.7576/\

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/thread...m-taking-that-next-big-step.8865/#post-102687

• Hug Hug x 1
    5. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

DebInAustralia Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      so, it wasnt till you took the quinine that you developed t?

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      CrazyT
      Benevolent

CrazyT Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08-2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Doxycycline and Quinine HCL
      Thanks everyone, you guys are awesome. I have great respect for you that have fought on. I feel this community treats each other as family.
      Yes exactly, it was night and day. I've read many places it is only temporary, however my tinnitus hasn't changed too much so far. I'm taking some supplements in hopes of it helping.

7. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

DebInAustralia Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      re your lyme, have a look at stephen buhners site for treating lyme and co infections...using herbs