New to Unilateral Tinnitus — Did I Develop It Because I Was Worried About Ear Fullness?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by David Smith, Mar 22, 2021.

1. David Smith

David Smith Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hi all,

Preface: I have been under a lot of stress the past few months, and am prone to anxiety/stress. I'm healthy other than that.

In January 2021, I had a feeling of fullness in both ears. I saw PCP, and they removed wax in right ear, and I have been fine in that ear since. The feeling of not knowing why my left ear had felt full left me with a bit of anxiety.

One week following the PCP appoint, I developed unilateral tinnitus in my left ear, which has persisted since then (~2 months).

The unilateral tinnitus is only intermittent, and seems to occur only when stressed/working. I can actually pretty easily shut if off by taking a walk/stepping away from computer. I saw an ENT doctor, and they tested my hearing, which was perfect. They said I could get an MRI "if I wanted to", but they felt I was fine.

My theory is I developed the tinnitus in my left ear only as I didn't have an 'answer' to why that ear had felt full, and given I'm one who's prone to worrying. Basically stress/anxiety was my cause.

Not sure what to do now other than keep de-stressing (good idea anyway), and curious if anyone's experience has been similar. Thanks!

2. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      David Smith

David Smith Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Bump :)

3. ajc

ajc Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2002; spike 2009; worse 2017-18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music - noise damage
      A lot of people here experience endless 24/7 tinnitus torture. Some people commit suicide over it, recently Texas Roadhouse CEO Kent Taylor. Yours is extremely mild by any measure.

I'm not sure why you would be too worried about this? It's easy to learn to live with something so mild as yours. Just remember that tinnitus can always get worse and it's important you protect your hearing from loud noises for the retst of your life and avoid taking ototoxic medications.

If I were you, I would be incredibly happy only to have it this mild. I feel like this is more about you needing to learn to cope with your general anxiety and stress than with tinnitus.

4. racedy

racedy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection and possibly noise over time
      @David Smith, it sounds like stress and anxiety related. I get spikes from stress/anxiety. I'm experiencing a spike that sometimes will go quiet, but then start up again. But before this spike, mine eventually faded and I forgot about it on some days, particularly if I was busy. I also noticed I wake up and it's not there, but revs up by the time I get to work. It's a mystery. But I would not be concerned in your case. Let it go, and it will go away.

I used to experience ear fullness as well, and my ENT said it was my Eustachian Tube was likely clogged. Several folks here have Eustachian Tube Dysfunction. My Eustachian Tubes eventually sorted themselves out. I realized my TMJ was likely exacerbating some of my ear issues.

I don't recommend an MRI if your doctor doesn't think you need one. Those suckers are loud and have caused tinnitus for some folks here.