New University of Michigan Tinnitus Discovery — Signal Timing

Discussion in 'Research News' started by Karen, Dec 17, 2013.

tinnitus forum
    1. Karen
      Talkative

Karen Manager Staff Benefactor Hall of Fame Ambassador

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      First time: Noise 2nd Time: Ototoxic drug
      • Informative Informative x 10
      • Like Like x 5
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 2
    2. Valentin

Valentin Member

Tinnitus Since:
      17/08/2013
      Very interesting indeed, it seems since a few years let's say from 2010 small discoveries are being made on a regular basis.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    3. James White
      Anime

James White Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Maybe loud music. Not sure.
      Everyday brings some news, it's good to know how research is progressing.

• Agree Agree x 1
    4. LadyDi
      Busy

LadyDi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barotrauma/airplane
      Really interesting Karen, thank you. In some ways, it somewhat sounds like Neuromonics on steroids: in that it uses a device for neuro-stimulation, although this couples sound with electrical impulses.

Shore is now working with other students and postdoctoral fellows to develop a device that uses the new knowledge about the importance of signal timing to alleviate tinnitus. The device will combine sound and electrical stimulation of the face and neck in order to return to normal the neural activity in the auditory pathway.

“If we get the timing right, we believe we can decrease the firing rates of neurons at the tinnitus frequency, and target those with hyperactivity,” says Shore. She and her colleagues are also working to develop pharmacological manipulations that could enhance stimulus timed plasticity by changing specific molecular targets.

But, she notes, any treatment will likely have to be customized to each patient, and delivered on a regular basis. And some patients may be more likely to derive benefit than others.

It also will need to be customized to the patient. And just like Neuromonics, I bet it won't be cheap. But hey, I am interested! They've got a ways to go, though, since they still are looking for partners and haven't even entered the FDA medical device approval process.

5. frohike
      Approved

frohike Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Tinnitus Research: 1970-2013
      Total number of tinnitus research articles published in peer-reviewed medical journals during each 5-year period Courtesy of NIH PubMed

2013WinterDMC_GraphNoHeader.jpg

• Informative Informative x 7
      • Like Like x 3
      • Useful Useful x 1
    6. Karen
      Talkative

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Well, Frohike, it does look like we're moving in the right direction! (number of tinnitus research articles published).

I agree that it does sound a lot like Neuromonics. We'll see how this develops. It will be interesting to see which of these devices actually is ready for market first.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    7. monophaser
      Frustrated

monophaser Member

this was a good read.
      im trying to figure out what "If we get the timing right" means....

8. gary
      Transparent

gary Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Who Knows
      thanks for the update Karen. I have emailed Dr. Sore a few times, I told her I would like to be a test subject, she said I did qualify because my T goes higher when there is compression on my jaw, she told me that they are not ready yey for human testing. UofM is only about 60 miles from me.

Maybe I'll get a email one day telling me to come on down:)

• Like Like x 2
    9. Karen
      Talkative

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Gary,

I hope you do have a chance to participate in the testing, when they are ready for human testing. If you are one of the test subjects, will you update us to let us know? Good luck!

10. t-man
      Suicidal

t-man Member

Tinnitus Since:
      I believe this was posted before but, yeah, this is reassuring to know that another group is coming to the same conclusions about neural-stimulation.

Even the drug companies know of the compound that turns off tinnitus, it's just they're unsure how administer it safely.

11. Linds
      Balanced

Linds Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      November 2013
      Hey t-man
      You say that the drug companies know of the anti T compound?
      Do you happen to know what it is?
      And are they feverishly trying to find a way to administer it?
      If all the drug company execs had T, I wonder how long it would take before a safe medication was available?

12. t-man
      Suicidal

t-man Member

Tinnitus Since:
      There was a fascinating write up about a persons perspective into the future of pharmaceuticals and tinnitus drugs that was posted here recently and I can't find it. I guess it was deleted.

13. gary
      Transparent

gary Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Who Knows
      Believe me, you guys will be the first to know.

14. gary
      Transparent

gary Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Who Knows
      Tman, yes there was a similar post here before, this is a little different. The date on the report is 12-16-13

This article has a slight twist to it from the one you are referring to, but at least we know Susan Shore's work is being updated

15. erik
      Breezy

erik Manager Staff Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely hearing loss
      Though great news, I don't think there is much new information here. I think it just a sort of advertisement to shore (excuse the pun) up new investment and funding interest as you can see at the end of the article "The U-M is currently actively seeking commercialization partners for this work. "

Mind you, there is nothing wrong with this at all. With tinnitus funding sorely lacking, any way to get interest in T research and funding is welcome.

• Agree Agree x 5
    16. dan
      Chatty

dan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2011
      I must agree with Eric, I have emailed Dr.Shore and I was not very impressed.
      The research is still in the animal model stage and I didn`t get the impression that it was spectacular. She said IF animal tests will succeed, human trials could begin in at least one year from now.

• Informative Informative x 2
    17. James White
      Anime

James White Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Maybe loud music. Not sure.
      Lidocaine administered intravenously stop tinnitus temporarly but it can't be used regularly because of the side effects: heart failure being the most common problem.

Drugs like AM101 are supposed to be some kind of stripped down variation of lidocaine, or ketamine, etc... i'm no expert but they want to target some receptors without any side effect.

• Informative Informative x 1
    18. LadyDi
      Busy

LadyDi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barotrauma/airplane

Hey James: As I recall, the issue (as you say) was that lidocaine's effect was very short lasting, and not worth the risk to patients given the side effects. I think the challenge remains to formulate a drug that can be administered regularly and quiet tinnitus for long periods of time. The delivery system, too, is a problem, given it involves the inner ear.

I personally think electrical stimulation is going to be the better route than drugs, but who knows? And I also think different types treatments will be needed for the different types of tinnitus (the disorders caused by noise trauma vs. age-related hearing loss, etc). Drugs seem to be choice for noise-related T caused by inner ear hair cell damage.

• Agree Agree x 3
    19. t-man
      Suicidal

t-man Member

Tinnitus Since:
      That's still very quick for any treatment. Of course this is supposedly non evasive.

• Useful Useful x 1
    20. Linds
      Balanced

Linds Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      November 2013
      Hey James, Thanks for your input.
      Very interesting indeed.

21. Danil

Danil Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Believe me everybody,..after 5 years from now,no body will suffer of tinnitus on earth.,atleast 10 good successful treatment are on the way..the tinnitus mechanism is understood since less then 2 years..Researchs in last 5 years are more in quantity than what all scientifics did in last 100 year..Just patience my friends..God has created uss to suffer for a while but not for a whole life..he is the one who will guide those researchers to find us the pill witch stop our T...before i got T those were the days...and 5 ears from now i promise you all,you will enjoy the days again:)

• Like Like x 6
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 4
      • Hug Hug x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    22. Tenna
      Anime

Tenna Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      I put my faith in the doctors and researchers, they seem to be doing a pretty alright job without guidance :)
      The signal timing is quite an interesting concept and maybe it can explain why I once in a while can disrupt certain tones with eyemovements too!

• Agree Agree x 1
    23. dan
      Chatty

dan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2011
      Dr.Shore suggested to me I try acupuncture for my tinnitus!
      She also does not a have a deep understanding of tinnitus at all - Im talking about on a brain level.
      All these "researchers" are doing is poking in the dark and seeing if rats get cured.
      If I were to bet I would put some money on a drug approach like Autifony - at least in their animal model, all rats
      had tinnitus abolished. Now to apply to humans.
      There are no "at least 10 good successful treatments" right now. For example we know VNS was only effective in 4 out of 10 patients and only in those who were not on medication - I guess a lot of us will have to "get clean" haha.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    24. jes
      Familiar

jes Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2012
      Thats why they wil not comunicate with tinnitus talk.

• Like Like x 1
    25. LadyDi
      Busy

LadyDi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barotrauma/airplane
      Hey Dan, this isn't exactly on topic...

But when I started getting all of my tinnitus treatments at the University of Miami, where they do a lot of research, I met an inner ear surgeon who is looking at the affects of acupuncture on tinnitus. So I had about 16 sessions with him. And you know, it helped some. He told me in advance that it wouldn't make the T go away, and it didn't. But it quieted it down. Unfortunately, he said most patients eventually plateau with the treatment and that also happened with me. But I am glad I did it.

So I don't think the fact that Dr. Shore suggested tinnitus as a treatment shows that she knows nothing about tinnitus. It's being used in many places, and has been tried by others on this board.

There are many other treatments out there than can ease the symptom for SOME patients in SOME cases. What there is not is a cure. When it comes, I don't think one size will fit all, as I said above.

And that's what research is: poking in the dark. Eventually (hopefully), you poke into the right corner and the light comes on. That's how medical advancements begin.

• Agree Agree x 3
    26. _Joe_

_Joe_ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      I live in southeast Michigan as well and have also made an inquiry. Maybe I'll see you there if it ever happens, ha. One of my tinnitus frequencies (somewhere between tonal and crickets) in the left ear only is modulated a lot with jaw movement and a little with facial muscle movements.

27. gary
      Transparent

gary Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Who Knows
      Hi Joe, when I put a pressure with my fingers on my upper jaw it raises it quite a bit, also if I press down on my head. As you can see, I live in Macomb. Maybe we can ride down together....

28. erik
      Breezy

erik Manager Staff Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely hearing loss
      Thank God they can get rid of tinnitus in mice, rats, gerbils and chinchillas and on to the humans please!:D

• Funny Funny x 5
      • Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    29. Tenna
      Anime

Tenna Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      When they do that, is that because they restore hearing loss/the itty bitty hairs, or just remove tinnitus, or it differs?
      And does anyone have a timeline of perhaps equivalent studies done from mice to men, in regards to developing treatments initially successful on mice which today work on human?:) I know it's incomparible, yet it would be wonderful seeing how potentially short future prospects are :cat:

30. frohike
      Approved

frohike Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      There is one animal model where they load mice with booze so they don't know which way is up or how to walk straight :beeranimation:. Human trials are scheduled for new year's eve.

Some animal models disregard side effects. They just check a theory, or a new compound with very high doses. This one about cell regeneration is awesome http://www.cell.com/neuron/abstract/S0896-6273(12)00953-1 but it results in uncontrolled growth. They don't know what DNA buttons to press to shut down the regeneration.

Research increases knowledge by exploring nature, and only sometimes it stumbles onto practical applications. It's not going to be a straight line I suppose. Which also means... what a nice surprise we will receive one day!

• Like Like x 3
      • Agree Agree x 1