New University of Michigan Tinnitus Discovery — Signal Timing

Discussion in 'Research News' started by Hudson, Jun 20, 2013.

1. t-man
      Suicidal

t-man Member

Tinnitus Since:
      That's still very quick for any treatment. Of course this is supposedly non evasive.

• Useful Useful x 1
    2. Linds
      Balanced

Linds Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      November 2013
      Hey James, Thanks for your input.
      Very interesting indeed.

3. Danil

Danil Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Believe me everybody,..after 5 years from now,no body will suffer of tinnitus on earth.,atleast 10 good successful treatment are on the way..the tinnitus mechanism is understood since less then 2 years..Researchs in last 5 years are more in quantity than what all scientifics did in last 100 year..Just patience my friends..God has created uss to suffer for a while but not for a whole life..he is the one who will guide those researchers to find us the pill witch stop our T...before i got T those were the days...and 5 ears from now i promise you all,you will enjoy the days again:)

• Like x 7
      • Optimistic x 7
      • Hug x 3
      • Funny x 3
      • Agree x 1
    4. Tenna
      Anime

Tenna Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      I put my faith in the doctors and researchers, they seem to be doing a pretty alright job without guidance :)
      The signal timing is quite an interesting concept and maybe it can explain why I once in a while can disrupt certain tones with eyemovements too!

• Agree Agree x 1
    5. dan
      Chatty

dan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      Dr.Shore suggested to me I try acupuncture for my tinnitus!
      She also does not a have a deep understanding of tinnitus at all - Im talking about on a brain level.
      All these "researchers" are doing is poking in the dark and seeing if rats get cured.
      If I were to bet I would put some money on a drug approach like Autifony - at least in their animal model, all rats
      had tinnitus abolished. Now to apply to humans.
      There are no "at least 10 good successful treatments" right now. For example we know VNS was only effective in 4 out of 10 patients and only in those who were not on medication - I guess a lot of us will have to "get clean" haha.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    6. jes
      Familiar

jes Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2012
      Thats why they wil not comunicate with tinnitus talk.

• Like Like x 1
    7. LadyDi
      Busy

LadyDi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barotrauma/airplane
      Hey Dan, this isn't exactly on topic...

But when I started getting all of my tinnitus treatments at the University of Miami, where they do a lot of research, I met an inner ear surgeon who is looking at the affects of acupuncture on tinnitus. So I had about 16 sessions with him. And you know, it helped some. He told me in advance that it wouldn't make the T go away, and it didn't. But it quieted it down. Unfortunately, he said most patients eventually plateau with the treatment and that also happened with me. But I am glad I did it.

So I don't think the fact that Dr. Shore suggested tinnitus as a treatment shows that she knows nothing about tinnitus. It's being used in many places, and has been tried by others on this board.

There are many other treatments out there than can ease the symptom for SOME patients in SOME cases. What there is not is a cure. When it comes, I don't think one size will fit all, as I said above.

And that's what research is: poking in the dark. Eventually (hopefully), you poke into the right corner and the light comes on. That's how medical advancements begin.

• Agree Agree x 4
      • Like Like x 1
    8. _Joe_

_Joe_ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      I live in southeast Michigan as well and have also made an inquiry. Maybe I'll see you there if it ever happens, ha. One of my tinnitus frequencies (somewhere between tonal and crickets) in the left ear only is modulated a lot with jaw movement and a little with facial muscle movements.

9. gary
      Transparent

gary Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Who Knows
      Hi Joe, when I put a pressure with my fingers on my upper jaw it raises it quite a bit, also if I press down on my head. As you can see, I live in Macomb. Maybe we can ride down together....

10. erik
      Cool

erik Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2012 or earlier?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely hearing loss
      Thank God they can get rid of tinnitus in mice, rats, gerbils and chinchillas and on to the humans please!:D

• Funny Funny x 4
      • Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 2
    11. Tenna
      Anime

Tenna Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      When they do that, is that because they restore hearing loss/the itty bitty hairs, or just remove tinnitus, or it differs?
      And does anyone have a timeline of perhaps equivalent studies done from mice to men, in regards to developing treatments initially successful on mice which today work on human?:) I know it's incomparible, yet it would be wonderful seeing how potentially short future prospects are :cat:

12. frohike
      Approved

frohike Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      There is one animal model where they load mice with booze so they don't know which way is up or how to walk straight :beeranimation:. Human trials are scheduled for new year's eve.

Some animal models disregard side effects. They just check a theory, or a new compound with very high doses. This one about cell regeneration is awesome http://www.cell.com/neuron/abstract/S0896-6273(12)00953-1 but it results in uncontrolled growth. They don't know what DNA buttons to press to shut down the regeneration.

Research increases knowledge by exploring nature, and only sometimes it stumbles onto practical applications. It's not going to be a straight line I suppose. Which also means... what a nice surprise we will receive one day!

• Like Like x 4
      • Agree Agree x 1
    13. SISKO
      Suicidal

SISKO Member

Tinnitus Since:
    14. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Hudson
      Cowboy

Hudson Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      • Like Like x 1
    15. Danil

Danil Member

Tinnitus Since:
      January 07, 2014

Fascinating research from the University of Michigan has illuminated some amazing new results:

She explains that in tinnitus, some of the input to the brain from the ear’s cochlea is reduced, while signals from the somatosensory nerves of the face and neck, related to touch, are excessively amplified.

“It’s as if the signals are compensating for the lost auditory input, but they overcompensate and end up making everything noisy,” says Shore.

The new findings illuminate the relationship between tinnitus, hearing loss and sensory input and help explain why many tinnitus sufferers can change the volume and pitch of their tinnitus’s sound by clenching their jaw, or moving their head and neck.

But it’s not just the combination of loud noise and overactive somatosensory signals that are involved in tinnitus, the researchers report.

It’s the precise timing of these signals in relation to one another that prompt the changes in the nervous system’s plasticity mechanisms, which may lead to the symptoms known to tinnitus sufferers.

This research has implications for treatment:

Shore is now working with other students and postdoctoral fellows to develop a device that uses the new knowledge about the importance of signal timing to alleviate tinnitus. The device will combine sound and electrical stimulation of the face and neck in order to return to normal the neural activity in the auditory pathway.

“If we get the timing right, we believe we can decrease the firing rates of neurons at the tinnitus frequency, and target those with hyperactivity,” says Shore. She and her colleagues are also working to develop pharmacological manipulations that could enhance stimulus timed plasticity by changing specific molecular targets.

Source:

http://www.audionotch.com/blog/tinn...s-promise-in-developing-therapy-for-tinnitus/

• Informative Informative x 2
      • Useful Useful x 1
    16. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

DebInAustralia Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Interesting.
      I think thats how mutebutton works

• Agree Agree x 1
    17. Per

Per Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      @Danil,

Thanks for sharing that article and the info. Seems interesting to me, in my opinion they may be onto something. Good to see someone thinking out of the box, other than the "hearing loss --> T-->hair cell theory.

18. Leopardi

Leopardi Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2010
      Finally some real explanations related to my tinnitus.

• Informative Informative x 1
    19. dan
      Chatty

dan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      Presentaion of Dr.Susan Shore PhD. and tinnitus researcher.
      "The Neural Bases and Neuroengineering of...

watch the video at 1:07:00
      Quote,
      "If you wanted to like develop new drug treatments for tinnitus, which I don't think is a good idea anyways...........................Ideally what you want to do is prevent the cochlear damage, or if you can't do that, you want to regenerate the auditory nerve fibres, so that you're maintaining the input into the cochlear nucleus, and then you can combine that with a device [her invention] you know, and maybe you've got a new treatment."
      --------------------------

Dr.Shore, so what your're saying is we'll just have wait for stem cells. Well at least she's optimistic.

• Like Like x 1
    20. andyman

andyman Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2012
      It mentions in the article that a patent is pending. I tried looking it up on the US Patent system and couldn't find anything. Does anyone have any further info about the patent?

Also, given that this research seems to reference input from the somatosensory nerves, does that mean this treatment would only work on somatic tinnitus (i.e. non-ear related tinntus)?

21. jazz
      No Mood

jazz Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      eardrum rupture from virus; barotrauma from ETD
      @andyman

Two things to consider. First, most people with tinnitus have a somatic component. This doesn't mean you have TMJ or cervical issues. But if you can modulate your tinnitus by moving your jaw then you probably have a somatic component.

Second, regardless of somatic issues, there are several types of non-pharmaceutical interventions under research. Interventions like rTMS, DBS (brain implants), neurofeedback, etc.--all these may also work for many types of tinnitus--regardless of its etiologies.

No reason to worry if you're not eligible for Shore's treatment; she's offering one of many interventions within the next five-to-ten years. :)

• Agree Agree x 3
    22. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Hudson
      Cowboy

Hudson Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Have you spoken with her about this? ;)

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    23. jazz
      No Mood

jazz Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @Hudson No, I have not spoken to her. I'm just an admirer of her work!:)

24. Zimichael

Zimichael Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      (1956) > 1980 > 2006 > 2012 > (2015)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ac. Trauma & Ac.Trauma + Meds.
      This came via the Autifony thread and a link nills posted regarding work Susan Shore is doing on tinnitus. I Googled her and came up with a vast amount of stuff. Have not even begun to look at a lot of it, but she indeed seems to be in the thick of it.

However, this video caught my interest so I did a search here, on this TT site and came up with nothing specific re. "Michigan Engineering" and was wondering if I just missed it somewhere?

Device aims to stop the ringing in your ears |...

If this has been covered somewhere already can someone be so good as to point me too it.

Thanks, Zimichael

25. lapidus

lapidus Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
    26. Zimichael

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thanks everyone...Yeah, this is the thread I needed. Indeed looks like Susan Shore is a busy lady!

27. Zimichael

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.....Yeah, on closer observation this seems similar in "hopes theory" to a number of other research ideas out there, but I tend to agree that for many of us giving the brain an "electrical" kick-in-the-head :) so the actual tinnitus neuron firing loop (wherever the hell that seems to be located in there = all over the place seemingly!) gets freaked out and re-sets, could be the way to go. Whether this be via a VNS type modality, deep brain stimulation, or even a drug combined with sound stimulation, I don't really care. As long as it works...and is safe of course.
      Whoever does come up with the most successful approach is sure going to get rich quick! [Always fun to see how often 'public funded' research at universities starts something, then it morphs into private funded follow-up, then the inevitable patent, then the private company afterwards. Oh well, the 'real world' I guess].

Best, Zimichael

• Agree Agree x 1
    28. jazz
      No Mood

jazz Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Here's the link to the full article that appeared on AudioNotch:

http://www.uofmhealth.org/news/arch...s-discovery-opens-door-possible-new-treatment

Here's the link to her most recent research article listed in PubMed:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24336728

Of note is Shore's ability to get NIH funding. For 2014 alone, for example, she has secured over $500K. And this is not her first NIH grant. All totaled, since 2001, she's received over $4.4M in funding from the NIH.

Government funding is pivotal for researchers like Shore. Hopefully, her research will result in a device to mitigate or eliminate the tinnitus signal for many tinnitus sufferers. But, even if her device is not successful, her research is still pivotal for understanding tinnitus generation and maintenance in the dorsal cochlear nucleus.

29. jchinnis

jchinnis Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/1989
      As in many other cases, this work on tinnitus by Dr. Shore was initially funded by the American Tinnitus Association. The small directly-funded grants enabled Dr. Shore to compete for much larger funding from government sponsors such as the National Institutes of Health.

• Informative Informative x 2
    30. Zimichael

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Jazz... Hey thanks for the links. Indeed, if it's anything like some of the things that came out of the weird, left field seeming research that NASA did in 'space race' days, then just pushing the frontiers could lead almost anywhere at this point. [Apro-pos, as Tinnitus gyrations seem about as complex as putting Apollo on the moon!]

I guess this below is "all good" as I sure as daylights can't understand most of it apart from the esoteric nether-world of brain plasticity at work again:

J Neurosci. 2013 Dec 11;33(50):19647-56. doi: 10.1523/JNEUROSCI.2788-13.2013.
      Stimulus timing-dependent plasticity in dorsal cochlear nucleus is altered in tinnitus. Koehler SD1, Shore SE.
      Author information

Abstract
      Tinnitus and cochlear damage have been associated with changes in somatosensory-auditory integration and plasticity in the dorsal cochlear nucleus (DCN). Recently, we demonstrated in vivo that DCN bimodal plasticity is stimulus timing-dependent, with Hebbian and anti-Hebbian timing rules that reflect in vitro spike timing-dependent plasticity. In this in vivo study, we assessed the stimulus timing dependence of bimodal plasticity in a tinnitus model. Guinea pigs were exposed to a narrowband noise that produced a temporary elevation of auditory brainstem response thresholds. A total of 60% of the guinea pigs developed tinnitus as indicated by gap-induced prepulse inhibition of the acoustic startle. After noise exposure and tinnitus induction, stimulus timing-dependent plasticity was measured by comparing responses to sound before and after paired somatosensory and auditory stimulation presented with varying intervals and orders. In comparison with Sham and noise-exposed animals that did not develop tinnitus, timing rules in verified tinnitus animals were more likely to be anti-Hebbian and broader for those bimodal intervals in which the neural activity showed enhancement. Furthermore, units from exposed animals with tinnitus were more weakly suppressed than either Sham animals or exposed animals without tinnitus. The broadened timing rules in the enhancement phase in animals with tinnitus, and in the suppressive phase in exposed animals without tinnitus was in contrast to narrow, Hebbian-like timing rules in Sham animals. These findings implicate alterations in DCN bimodal spike timing-dependent plasticity as underlying mechanisms in tinnitus, opening the way for a therapeutic target.

KEYWORDS:
      bimodal, cochlear damage, noise damage, plasticity, somatosensory, tinnitus

Best, Zimichael

• Like Like x 2