New University of Michigan Tinnitus Discovery — Signal Timing

Discussion in 'Research News' started by Hudson, Jun 20, 2013.

1. F-u-T

F-u-T Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trama
      My hunch is that Susan Shore must not be able to get compensated financially for a commercial device based on her University research. Why else would they move at a maddening slow pace. The U of Mich is a nonprofit tax exempt university. They have no incentive to release the device commercially. If she could line her pockets with the revenue this device will generate it would have been released 5 years ago.

• Like Like x 1
    2. MRItechssuck
      Disappointed

MRItechssuck Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Severe 10/17/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise, MRI
      Not casting aspersions on Dr. Shore... but sometimes it seems academia is more concerned with research grants and government money.

• Winner Winner x 1
    3. pinklights98
      No Mood

pinklights98 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Noise Exposure

I just hope she sticks to her timeline of a release in 2020

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Like Like x 1
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    4. F-u-T

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trama
      How long does FDA take to approve a medical device? Wonder if they have submitted for approval yet.

• Good Question Good Question x 2
    5. ChrisBoyMonkey

ChrisBoyMonkey Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Usually only about 6 months. So Dr. Shore might actually hit her target of this year!

• Like Like x 1
    6. alex1975

alex1975 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably sound induced
      There doesn’t seems to be a clear answer. Some medical devices don’t require trials, this one does.
      Medical devices are divided in three classes: 1-2 and 3. This device would probably fall under class 2 is my guess, like most medical devices.
      She’s been working on this for years. Drugs usually take longer than medical devices to go through all FDA steps (7-10 years if not fast tracked). So I’m a bit surprised this device has taken this long.

Class I – These devices present minimal potential for harm to the user and are often simpler in design than Class II or Class III devices. Examples include enema kits and elastic bandages. 47% of medical devices fall under this category and 95% of these are exempt from the regulatory process.

Class II – Most medical devices are considered Class II devices. Examples of Class II devices include powered wheelchairs and some pregnancy test kits. 43% of medical devices fall under this category.

Class III – These devices usually sustain or support life, are implanted, or present potential unreasonable risk of illness or injury. Examples of Class III devices include implantable pacemakers and breast implants. 10% of medical devices fall under this category.

Sorry I couldn’t be more help! All we can do is guess at this point.

• Informative Informative x 3
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    7. Niatoolit
      Cheerful

Niatoolit Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise-Induced
      After Dr. Shore's device is released, would it be mandatory to visit the US to purchase or it could be purchased online unlike the Lenire treatment? Anyone knows anything about this matter?

8. F-u-T

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trama
      I‘m sure it will require some kind of visit to a medical clinic in the US to purchase the device. I still think we are going to be waiting a few years for availability though.

9. Watasha
      No Mood

Watasha Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I highly doubt it. They are expecting to release results of their study by mid 2020. 6 months is not enough time to ramp up production and set up a distribution network, etc. I think early 2022 is a good conservative bet and anything before that would be gravy. This assumes that the trial goes well, so fingers crossed!

• Agree Agree x 3
    10. Bartoli

Bartoli Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2009,worsened 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      You don't become a researcher at a university if you want to line your pockets. Susan Shore must have known this from the outset. If making money fast is your main objective you make sure to get into the private sector once you graduate. All of the academic researchers I know are ideological people to some degree. Her research is at a different pace and money and investors can be the catalyst that gives private companies the edge on many occasions but in the end a private company is dependent on the outcome of the research. Sooner or later something must come from it or else they go bankrupt. Susan Shore can watch over the quality of research and if it all fails it's one lesson learned. Being a good researcher doesn't mean being a successful entrepreneur either but I'm sure commercialization won't be an issue when her device turns out to yield good results. It won't be for lack of a market :)

11. Chris_P

Chris_P Member

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      possibly hearing loss/acoustic damage, unknown
      While I wouldn't be eligible for the trial, a hopeful update on the timeline for the Michigan Tinnitus Device :) I was very happy to hear back from Dr. Shore after emailing her this afternoon, and I'd encourage any others to contact her. I had also asked her about general eligibility to use the device given somatic vs non-somatic types of T. This was her response:

Hi Chris,

Unfortunately you would not qualify for the trial as participants have
      to live within 100 miles, even if you fit the other criteria. But we
      should be done with the trial in the summer and I am adding your name to
      our mailing list for updates at that time.

best wishes,

Susan Shore

• Like Like x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    12. brokensoul

brokensoul Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/05/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown:medication,cannabis,stress,sleep deprivation
      Did Dr. Susan Shore really commit to releasing the device after this trial?

I know she’s mentioned this is the idea, but doesn’t it depend on the results of this trial?

Do we really know if this is going to be the final trial?

In fact, how many trials have there been so far? Is this the second?

13. ChrisBoyMonkey

ChrisBoyMonkey Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      That's your opinion, and a pessimsitic one if you ask me. I'm sticking to mine.

I may be a severe sufferer now, but I was once very good at business. Commercialization and globalization are two completely different things.

14. ThomasC
      Lonely

ThomasC Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      hearing loss
      Anyone knows if her device could help somatosensory pulsatile tinnitus ?

15. JJ4211

JJ4211 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      January, 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Unfortunately, pulsatile tinnitus is a disqualification for participating in the trial.

16. Watasha
      No Mood

Watasha Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Just basing it on experience with other rollouts of treatments, studies, etc. I hope I am wrong for everyone's sake.

• Like Like x 1
    17. MRItechssuck
      Disappointed

MRItechssuck Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Severe 10/17/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise, MRI
    18. IAmCalifornia
      Wishful

IAmCalifornia Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      this year
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      i wish i knew
      My bro, I will buy it for you and send it myself.

• Like Like x 2
      • Hug Hug x 1
    19. Simon Czt

Simon Czt Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      This is a disqualification criteria, but I sincerely believe that if the cause of somatosensory pulsatile tinnitus is somewhat resolved, the device could help!

As I think Lenire has the potential to help with stress-induced pulsatile tinnitus.

• Like Like x 1
    20. JJ4211

JJ4211 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      January, 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I agree, it certainly could! The trial won't render an opinion on this due to the disqualification - it won't have data on this particular subtype. However, that's not to say it won't work and provide some benefit! I hope it casts a wide net as a solution.

• Agree Agree x 1
    21. Momme

Momme Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise?
      This what Susan Shore told me about noise induced tinnitus, if the device can help us with noise induced

”Our first trial included those with noise induced tinnitus so I would predict yes.”

• Optimistic Optimistic x 2
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    22. Mathew Gould

Mathew Gould Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Neck/Jaw misalignment
      Is there data on the first trial? How is it compared to Lenire's last trial before they launched?

23. GlennS

GlennS Member Podcast Patron Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      Aren't the positive results from this (and Minnesota) more dramatic than Lenire? That's my understanding which is why some are shifting their hope to this.

• Agree Agree x 1
    24. mrbrightside614

mrbrightside614 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Small sample, but 10% remission ain’t nothing. Also, appears to be better the longer you use it, and should include NIT folks.

• Agree Agree x 1
    25. ChrisBoyMonkey

ChrisBoyMonkey Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Neuromod had way more patients/participants, but what she has over them is RCT and double blinding for placebo. Not to say one is better than the other but hers seems more promising efficacy wise, and if shown so, she may not have to do another trial after this one. She has said she aims for 2020 commercialization a few times, but as I always add, she hasn't promised it either.

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Like Like x 2
    26. thinlay
      Alienated

thinlay Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      syndrome of costen ? not sure
      If Susan Shore's device comes out, will the distribution of it will be done by a private company which will have bought the marketing rights to the device? Or is it the university itself that will set up the distribution with its partner clinics?

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    27. Chris_P

Chris_P Member

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Yes, would very much like to see data on the first trial as well!

28. Chris_P

Chris_P Member

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thanks for sharing that post!

29. mrbrightside614

mrbrightside614 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      My only concern here is the precision of the programming and the appropriate site application of the electrodes (?) from secondary sources. I’d gladly go to Ann Arbor for a more precise application.

• Agree Agree x 1
    30. brokensoul

brokensoul Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/05/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown:medication,cannabis,stress,sleep deprivation
      A summary some of you may find useful.

Dr. Susan Shore’s DeNovo device is developed under the umbrella of the University of Michigan. It’s a neuromodulation signal timing device treatment to reduce the tinnitus volume.

Susan Shore’s treatment is based off of the circuitry in the dorsal cochlear nucleus (DCN) in which somatosensory input is integrated with auditory input to produce long term plasticity in the DCN fusiform cells. Their treatment harnesses this plasticity by generating a somatosensory stimulus. This is an electrical stimulus that they either put on the cheek (trigeminal) or on the neck (dorsal column). This stimulus targets the hyperactivity of the fusiform cells in the DCN that generate the tinnitus, to induce long term depression.

Visualizing Tinnitus in the DCN:
      Visualizing Tinnitus

Depending on how you can modulate your tinnitus the stimulus will be applied on the neck or on the cheek. To be clear, for this to work well you most likely need to have a tinnitus with a somatic component.

There should be clinical trial results published somewhere in 2020.

Tinnitus Hub recently interviewed her at the Tinnitus Research Initiative. She’s been working on it for 15 years already and has tinnitus herself.

Susan Shore on Bimodal Stimulation for...

There are some informational videos on youtube on her research. The Neural Bases and Neuroengineering of Tinnitus (old video) for example. It really shows that she is really dedicated to tinnitus research and has advanced a lot into understanding the pathology of tinnitus (see fusiform cells in Dorsal Cochlear Nucleus).

"The Neural Bases and Neuroengineering of...

This article refers to the results of her initial trial:

Auditory-somatosensory bimodal stimulation desynchronizes brain circuitry to reduce tinnitus in guinea pigs and humans:

https://stm.sciencemag.org/content/10/422/eaal3175

The interesting bit is at the bottom of the article: “Tinnitus reduction reached an average of 12.2 dB in the fourth week of active treatment. Of the 20 participants tested, 2 reported complete elimination of their tinnitus toward the end of the active treatment period.”

• Like Like x 4
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1