New Years Eve in Germany — Terrified

Discussion in 'Support' started by lifeisover, Dec 30, 2017.

1. lifeisover

lifeisover Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert/ plane+music
      Tomorrow is new years eve. I live in a residential area in Germany and it can get fairly loud here. Most neighbours have their own store-bought fireworks and some even buy illegal polish or chinese ones. I haven't been here for the past years so I am unsure how bad it will be but I am expecting the worst.

My plan now is to hide in the basement, but it has a window. I wonder if it will be enough to prevent any further damage to my ears. I will be wearing foam earbuds and Peltor over-ear guards. I am scared shitless and already feel sick thinking of the firework sound. Do you think I should leave town instead? I've just no idea where to go and I don't want to be outside during NYE. I'm fairly certain the fireworks here will last at least an hour give or take. I'm so scarded I want to die.

• Hug Hug x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    2. Rubenslash

Rubenslash Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bad luck and bad decisions
      Lol you are inside, wearing muffs but still afraid? Come on..

• Agree Agree x 5
      • Good Question Good Question x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      lifeisover

lifeisover Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert/ plane+music
      Is that crazy? Like I mentioned most immediate neighbours will have their own fireworks and those little dynamite thingies. The whole thing will last 1-2 hours probably.

• Agree Agree x 1
    4. Julien87
      Not amused

Julien87 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure (concert)
      I will be in Germany tomorrow. Can you let me know, do Germans also send their own fireworks and firecrackers during the day or they all wait until the night?

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      lifeisover

lifeisover Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert/ plane+music
      (Legal) fireworks sales here start 3 days before NYE, so you cannot assume that people won't use them at any time. Yesterday night they were already using some fireworks in my neighbourhood. I avoid walking outside in the days before and after NYE.

6. Ed209

Ed209 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      It shows you are overly anxious because you are thinking this way, but it’s caused by tinnitus kicking your ass 24/7. We lose our minds, and start to panick about making it worse. It’s not, however, healthy to behave as you are suggesting. That’s your tinnitus taking control of you. Unless the fireworks are like nukes in Germany, I’m pretty sure you’re safe indoors; especially with double protection?

Try not to worry, but I suppose that’s easier said than done when you’re in the state of mind you’re in.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      lifeisover

lifeisover Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert/ plane+music

Thanks. You express very eloquently how shitty my life is due to tinnitus. They aren't nukes, but there is a type of firework that is very common here, whose only purpose is to explode on the ground and make noise. There are also some people who kind of... buy them illegally and tie them together so that it's one giant firework. It's honestly scary and I don't know, given those circumstances, whether it is really enough to be inside.

• Like Like x 1
    8. MBH

MBH Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Overloaded stress
      Is there a inner hall bathroom with no window with a shower? If so, bring reading material or something to occupy your time. I don't have H but fireworks would put me on edge.

9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      lifeisover

lifeisover Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert/ plane+music
      No there isn't. All rooms have windows. The basement has 2 small ones so I'm worried it's too close to the street. The attic has no windows, but there are of course no concrete walls there. I'm really unsure about all this

10. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      @lifeisover ,
      Have some relaxing music on to focus on and help you remain calm.
      Keep plugs handy if the fireworks etc are blasting near by but im sure you will be fine.
      Stay relaxed and dont fear NewYear Celebrations and watch them on the tv.
      Happy New Year.
      Love glynis

11. MBH

MBH Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Overloaded stress
      I know a pub would be noise, but if you sit in the back and wear your plugs at least you'll be out, it just a thought.

12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      lifeisover

lifeisover Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert/ plane+music
      I don't think I want to go to a pub (i.e. where people celebrate) during NYE... too risky

• Agree Agree x 3
    13. Julien87
      Not amused

Julien87 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure (concert)
      Thanks for letting me know.
      Great... Looks like I will spend lovely holidays there.. I planned to only stay inside during NYE because I know they like to throw firecrackers and fireworks on that night. But if they also use them the following days, that really scares me :(

14. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      lifeisover

lifeisover Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert/ plane+music
      WARNING: turn down your volume before clicking. On youtube I found an example of how NYE is celebrated here...... it's horrible

This is what new year in Berlin looks like

• Informative Informative x 1
    15. Ed209

Ed209 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      That’s mental. It’s more like a war zone than a celebration. Is it really like that all over Germany? I would have expected Germany to be more like it is here, in the UK.

16. Autumnly
      Wishful

Autumnly Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise-induced
      I'm in the same situation and honestly terrified of tomorrow. My neighbors will definitely shoot a lot of fireworks. I'll wear foam earplugs and peltor earmuffs and stay inside for sure.

• Hug Hug x 3
      • Agree Agree x 1
    17. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      lifeisover

lifeisover Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert/ plane+music
      I feel you. It's horrible. It's not like tinnitus didn't destroy enough parts of my life already, now I can't even just be at home in peace anymore. I'm extremely worried abt tomorrow, too.

18. Autumnly
      Wishful

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise-induced
      Yeah, same for me. I haven't spent New Year's Eve here in a couple of years but I remember the streets being completely covered with leftovers from the fireworks and firecrackers the next day - even though I live in an otherwise quiet residential area.

19. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      lifeisover

lifeisover Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert/ plane+music
      Same, I haven't been here in years, but I remember the craze at NYE from childhood. I feel sick to my stomach, I just want to survive this year's without more damage to my ears.

• Creative Creative x 1
    20. Snake
      Heartbroken

Snake Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      2011 - Gaming on headphones. 2020 - Severe by breaking glass
      I personally moved especially for NYE from the city i live to my family house with triple glass windows, solid walls and quiet area with few kilometers to the nearest city :)

Maybe you can do the same?

• Agree Agree x 1
    21. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      lifeisover

lifeisover Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert/ plane+music

I'm currently in my family's house, it's solid concrete with double glass windows, but it's a residential area with lots of kids/ teenager so I expect some loud fireworks. I don't know anyone who lives in a quieter area than this... I looked at a few hotels in a small German village and I might go to one of them tomorrow at noon.. but it's not ideal since they're mostly old buildings

22. Autumnly
      Wishful

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise-induced
      I thought about driving somewhere quieter, but then I'd have to spend a couple of hours in my car and there's just gonna be fireworks everywhere. I'd probably have to drive for a couple of hours to be a few kilometers from the next house. I also looked at some hotels but I can't find anything in the countryside.

23. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      lifeisover

lifeisover Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert/ plane+music
      I thought it will be fine if I drive around noon, at least I hope it will be. I also have to travel around 2 hours to be somewhere remote.

24. Snake
      Heartbroken

Snake Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      2011 - Gaming on headphones. 2020 - Severe by breaking glass
      Ye, kids and teenagers are the worst with their stupid ideas like buying illegal professional (and often louder) fireworks. But i think that we can't blame them because probably we all were like them before getting T.

In 2014/15/16/ i've spend NYE at the city inside home (also old building) without protection (only closed windows) and i can't remember any T increase from that. I think that with ear plugs + ear muffs with closed windows you will be safe. Just make sure they're tight.

• Agree Agree x 1
    25. Autumnly
      Wishful

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise-induced
      I think, I'm just gonna stay inside and hope for the best... My bathroom is in the middle of my apartment and doesn't have any windows. Maybe I'm gonna build a fort with blankets. Never thought I'd spend my NYE like this, but at the moment I really don't want to risk my tinnitus getting worse, I don't know if I could cope with it then.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    26. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      lifeisover

lifeisover Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert/ plane+music
      I spent last NYE like that, made a big blanket and pillow fort in the middle room of the house and just waited it out. Never felt so pathetic, but at least I was somewhat safe. The house where I'm in now has no room in the middle sadly so I'm worried.

27. Dana
      Busy

Dana Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
      Your worries are justified.
      It happend to me to be the victim of fireworks only last year, on New Year's Eve, and i still suffer consequences and i don't know for how long i will suffer. Probably for the rest of my life.
      If you want my opinion, you can add other layers of protection. Cover the window or something, because glass allows the sounds to go inside.
      Keep us posted afterwards how did it go.
      Good luck!

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    28. Elfin
      Wishful

Elfin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2004
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud concert
      2 layers of protection inside your house shall be enough, in my opinion; although that video does appear to be a war zone rather than a 'celebration'

29. LisaCuddy

LisaCuddy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Childhood
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      TMJ and Stress
      What happened to you? And what about the walls, don't they let stuff through as well?

30. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      If you have a car, you could go for a drive and come home at around 2 am...