New Years Eve in Germany — Terrified

Discussion in 'Support' started by lifeisover, Dec 30, 2017.

1. Dana
      Busy

Dana Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
      "What happend to you?" as in "have you gone crazy?"
      I do not understand, please explain.

No, the walls do not let stuff go through as well. There isn't even room for a comparison here.

I just suggested to do something about the window. The window must be rather small and padding it with something may be a good idea.

My ears were seriously damaged because of a unexpected firecracker on New Year's Eve, which exploded very close to me and since then i have much worse tinnitus and aural fullness. Not fun.

I do not think that taking measures to prevent hearing those loud and sudden noises is ridiculous, but a responsible attitude to protect one's health.

• Agree Agree x 1
    2. LisaCuddy

LisaCuddy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Childhood
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      TMJ and Stress
      Depending on where you live, that may not be late enough to avoid all bangs. Also, isn't a car less insulated than a house? What if someone hit the car with a firework? I think it's safer staying at home.

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. MatthijsDJ
      Mellow

MatthijsDJ Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      No root cause found, most likely stress...
      One advise, buy good earplugs. A Dutch test on television showed that earp protection for events with loud music are the best for fireworks. Buy some good ones so that you also can use it for other events.

Put these things in your ear and go outside at 00:00 and enjoy the fireworks. Don't let T prevent you from doing things; however take actions that prevent more ear damage.

That is how I beated H and T :)

• Like Like x 1
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      lifeisover

lifeisover Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert/ plane+music

I don't care about fireworks at all. I don't know if it will be enough if I hide in the basement with foam earplugs (normal ones....)

• Agree Agree x 1
    5. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Interesting advice.

I am curious, what do you make of posts like
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/i-ruined-my-recovery.25514/
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/earplugs-muffs-give-very-little-protection.21737/

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/tinnitus-much-worse-after-club-despite-wearing-solid-35-db-custom-earplugs-—-im-at-my-wits-end.15744/#post-186018

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/bad-spike-not-subsiding-after-loud-bar-—-despite-wearing-properly-inserted-earplugs.20675/#post-239000

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/thread...t-an-acoustic-trauma-shock.18964/#post-219363

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/thread...le-in-real-life-situations.19067/#post-220314

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/33-decibel-earplug-not-protecting-from-sound.22151/
      Your advice is to just ignore posts like that (despite the fact that we get multiple horror stories like that posted here every week), right?

6. Autumnly
      Wishful

Autumnly Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise-induced
      If I were to go outside even with hearing protection at midnight, I'd definitely get a spike and probably worsen my tinnitus. NYE is crazy here. I know I've been overprotecting my ears those last couple of months and I know that anxiety and stress will not benefit me, but I just don't know if I could cope if my tinnitus became worse again as it's already bad. Also, I built a fort inside my bathroom and it's actually quite cozy.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    7. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      In addition to beating T, you also want to ensure that your T doesn't return...

• Agree Agree x 1
    8. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      You could place a mattress against that window. If it is small enough to be covered by several pillows, you could stuff those pillows there, and then place a mattress (or two) on top of that. Build a fort like

• Agree Agree x 1
    9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      lifeisover

lifeisover Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert/ plane+music
      I'm currently placing big pieces of an old cut up foam mattress outside of the windows (there are "holes" in front of the basement windows that can be filled), but I'm really worried it won't be enough and wonder if I should go upstairs instead. There are no rooms without windows so it's scary.

10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      lifeisover

lifeisover Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert/ plane+music
      I'm really not sure if I should go out of town instead, I don't know anywhere specific so it would be uncertain but I'm not sure if thebasement will be safe..

11. Elfin
      Wishful

Elfin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2004
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud concert
      Just close the windows and wear plugs and earmuffs. You will be fine

12. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I was going to suggest that you drive to a remote hotel and spend a night there, but then I realized that they might have fireworks there too...

13. Autumnly
      Wishful

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise-induced
      I'm also still wondering whether I should stay inside or drive somewhere... But I just don't know where I should drive to and I wouldn't feel as safe in my car as I would in my apartment. Couldn't find a remote hotel, the ones near me don't have their own fireworks but people living in the same area will shoot fireworks. So, I'm just gonna have to see how this NYE will go while staying inside. And if my tinnitus gets worse... well, then I'll have a whole year to come up with a better plan.

• Agree Agree x 1
    14. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      In many parts of Canada, if you drive north for 100 or 200 km, there will be very few people within a 90 or 190 km radius of you.

• Funny Funny x 1
    15. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      lifeisover

lifeisover Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert/ plane+music
      Well that's Canada for you... one of the least densely populated countries

16. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      lifeisover

lifeisover Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert/ plane+music
      You could drive towards some nature park areas close to you

17. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      lifeisover

lifeisover Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert/ plane+music
      Guys I will not be able to leave this place. I was supposed to drive away to a remote area but it doesnt work out cause I was let down by someone, and now I fear it's too late and too dangerous to go outside. I am so scared I don't think I will survive today. I wanted to die for a long time due to how tinnitus destroyed everything for me and I start to feel like tonight is a good time. I cannot bear having to endure the fireworks everywhere. I want to be gone finally. I was never strong enough for tinnitus

• Hug Hug x 1
    18. Autumnly
      Wishful

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise-induced
      I'm so sorry to hear that you were let down by that person! I honestly think you're gonna be okay at home. Yes, I'm also scared - but that's because my tinnitus is already loud. If you've put a mattress or pillows in front of the window and also wear ear plugs and ear muffs then I think you're going to be okay! Endure the fireworks and see how you feel tomorrow (which, of course, is easier said than done). I'm also terrified. I don't know if my tinnitus is going to get worse, but I can't say with absolute certainty that it will, so I will endure the fireworks and see if my tinnitus actually gets worse. I'm so sorry you're feeling like this! I understand your fear and exhaustion.

• Agree Agree x 2
    19. Tweaker
      Transparent

Tweaker Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      I think you are working yourself up into a bad state. This may be clouding your judgement. Being indoors with windows closed and wearing ear protection seems sufficient. I live in fairly built up community and I expect lots of fireworks nearby as usual. I only ever close the windows without ear protection and i have not had a problem being indoors.

• Agree Agree x 2
    20. Elfin
      Wishful

Elfin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2004
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud concert
      you will be fine with dual protection and windows shut etc. take some videos so we can see what it is like. reckon you are going to be ok though. presumably the fireworks arent going off right outside your window, as in on the otherside of the glass.

• Agree Agree x 1
    21. Sam Bridge

Sam Bridge Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music/gigs probably
      Are you serious? Plugs and muffs inside?

22. Flamingo1

Flamingo1 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      4-15-2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Let us know how you hold up!

• Agree Agree x 1
    23. Autumnly
      Wishful

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise-induced
      I don’t know what NYE is like where you live but it can get pretty loud in Germany (depending on where you live). Maybe plugs and ear muffs aren’t necessary... for me they are. My direct neighbors are already shooting fireworks.
      Edit: I’m sorry, I just think you could have worded that a bit more nicely. “Don’t worry, plugs and muffs should definitely give you enough protection.” But “are you serious?” sounds belittling to me. He’s obviously terrified.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2017
      • Hug Hug x 1
    24. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      It sounds like you haven't read all of the posts in this thread.

I can see how plugs and muffs inside might not be enough if serious fireworks are being deployed right next to one's window.

25. Elfin
      Wishful

Elfin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2004
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud concert
      Seems extreme, yeh. I was more making the point that with this protection you will be fine, rather than feeling the need to drive for hours to a wooded area.

Also, don’t see why fireworks would go off on the other side of the glass, surely they would be fired upwards, thus taking a lot of the noise.

• Agree Agree x 1
    26. Avocado
      Sunshine

Avocado Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      early childhood
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unkown
      Hey, I just had to write something because it sounded like you were thinking about suicide. Please hold on one more night. This is probably the worst night of the year for us who have T and or H but then we have a whole year in front of us that is free from fireworks. That means more time and more chances to find ways to make T less loud or find ways to make it easier to live with it, more time to find something in life to enjoy that T can't destroy :) I have read of people in this forum who got rid of T after 40 years because they took some obscure vitamin in a certain enzymatic form. Others lost it after decades because they tried something new or just by accident. There is always some hope. You won't find out what works for you if you are not here.

Tonight, I want you to think of all the people who have tinnitus as a family scattered around the globe but united in the experience we share tonight on NYE. We might feel disconnected and isolated from the other people who enjoy firecrackers the louder the better. We might be scared and don't want fireworks to worsen our condition. We all get that. But we will get through this night. Whatever we need to do. Be it mattresses in windows or earplugs or earmuffs or all of the above. I myself won't go outside tonight either because I made that mistake (unprotected) last NYE which caused a spike and I don't want to start the new year worrying about having worsened my T. I will stay under my cozy heat blanket and listen to my favourite audio book. :)

I don't know how badly your ears react to loud sounds, you are the expert of your own ears, but I think with the precautions that you have taken (foam on the windows, earplugs and earmuffs), you should be pretty safe. I am German, I know German NYE. ;)

PM me if you want. I'd love to hear from you. Or let your tinnitus family know how you are doing in this thread. Either way, I am sending you hugs!
      Avocado

• Like Like x 3
    27. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      How did it go?!

• Like Like x 1
    28. AZeurotuner

AZeurotuner Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Hasn't been seen on the forums since 7:29am, kind of worrisome, hope he's ok.

• Agree Agree x 1
    29. Codaz

Codaz Member

I was wearing muffs, inside and still scared. It's not weird if you are in mental disturbance. I totally understand it.
      It's easier to turn an oil tanker than to overcome anxiety or regain self trust and self confidence so please don't judge or say something is ridiculous.

30. sjtinguy

sjtinguy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise
      it's 3am in germany, hopefully he's sleeping soundly

• Agree Agree x 1