Newbie, Seeking Help and Support for My Mom

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Calf00, Jan 9, 2015.

1. Calf00
      Balanced

Calf00 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Hi everyone

So pleased to have found your site. I came across it when researching Thomas Coleman's 'The Tinnitus Miracle' .... say no more ........ thanks to your site I won't be buying this e-book!

I'm trying to help my Mom, she is 87 and has been troubled by Tinnitus for the last four years or so. She suffers with considerable dizziness and repeated music/songs playing in her head (rather than 'white noise' or ringing etcetera) the music tends to be the same few songs - 'Abide with Me' and similar. She's been seen by her GP and has also been seen by a very good ENT consultant and they both say she has Tinnitus and basically she has to live with it.

I hadn't come across the music/dizziness symptoms of Tinnitus before and just wondered how you might advise me to best help my Mom please? I've seen lots of devices on the internet and am at a bit of a loss as to where to start. My mom's GP has prescribed Prochlorperazine (Stemetil) for her saying she has Vertigo but could the 'Vertigo' be part of the Tinnitus please?

Thanks for being here and I hope to hear back from you, thanks v much,

2. attheedgeofscience
      No Mood

attheedgeofscience Member Podcast Patron Mighty Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Resolved since 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown (medication, head injury)
      Whenever certain conditions manifest themselves, there is a standard battery of tests that should be considered.

You can find an exhaustive list of such tests below.

upload_2015-1-9_21-55-20.png

• Informative Informative x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Calf00
      Balanced

Calf00 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Hi, thanks for your v quick reply. Certainly nothing like the investigations suggested in your chart were discussed or carried out! Due to my Mom's age I very much got the impression that no further action would be taken. We did see the ENT consultant privately and not through the English National Health System but that didn't seem to make any difference,

4. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      I have read some where that people do hear musical tunes. In a former forum years ago, I actually had learned from a fellow member (via PM) that he could hear multi tunes. He said he knew of a lady whose T repeats her national anthem. Go figure. The British Tinnitus Association (BTA) writes about this phenomenon which they call 'Musical Hallucination'. So your mom is not alone in this. You may want to read this up:

http://www.tinnitus.org.uk/musical-hallucination

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Calf00
      Balanced

Calf00 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Thank you so much Billie48, that is so v helpful. I'll definately follow it up.