No Acoustic Neuroma Upon MRI but...

Discussion in 'Support' started by Buckaroo, Apr 4, 2016.

1. Buckaroo
      Curious

Buckaroo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      March 10, 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hey all,

Just got MRI results back looking to rule out AN. Everything was normal, no suspicious masses or extra axial fluid, no sign of inflammation and no AN.

There was an incidental note made that stated there is a 2-3 mm CSF signal intensity lesion within the left cerebellar hemisphere inferior to the left dentate nucleus and likely representing a prominent perivascular space VRS (Virchow-Robin Space)

Sometimes VRS can be normal from what I read but other times is can represent nerve damage and can be attributed to MS. I have also read that T can be a result of MS since MS is responsible to attacking the protective sheath covering nerves and therefore resulting in T from said nerve damage.

Am I reaching here in viewing this as a possible cause of my T?

This is from a radiology teaching discussion:

"Perivascular spaces, also called Virchow-Robin spaces (VRS), are pial-lined extensions that sorround the walls of vessels as they course from the subarachnoid space through the brain parenchyma.

Dilated Virchow-Robin spaces typically occur in three characteristics locations. Type I VRS appear along the lenticulostriate arteries entering the basal ganglia through the anterior perforated substance. Type II VRS are found along the paths of the perforating medullary arteries as they enter the cortical gray matter over the high convexities and extend into the white matter. Type III VRS appear in the midbrain.

There is evidence from tracer studies and from pathologic analysis of the human brain that Virchow-Robin spaces carry solutes from the brain and are, in effect, the lymphatic drainage pathways of the brain.

Small VRS (<2mm) are found in patients of all ages and are a normal anatomic variant. Perivascular spaces increase in size (>2mm) and frequency with advancing age.

Some authors found a correlation between dilated VRS and neuropsychiatric disorders, recent-onset multiple sclerosis, mild traumatic brain injury, and diseases associated with microvascular abnormalities."

2. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Great to hear your MRI results showed no Acoustic Neuroma .....lots of love glynis