No Hearing Loss — Still Have Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Support' started by Jatin Gupta, Jan 22, 2020.

1. Jatin Gupta

Jatin Gupta Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Cancelling Headphones
      Hi,

I got tinnitus on 26 November 2018 by using active noise cancelling headphones (Bose QC35) at 40% volume. I got my ears tested for hearing loss and the test showed that there was no hearing loss. Now after more than an year of suffering, I had the tests done again, and the result is the same (no hearing loss).

I am confused, if my hearing is perfect, and there is no damage to inner ear, then why do I have tinnitus.

P.S. my tinnitus is about 5/10 where 10 is the worst.

Please advise.

2. FGG
      No Mood

FGG Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
      There are two types of hearing loss not detected by a standard audiogram (250 Hz to 8000 Hz).

1) ultra high frequency hearing loss (over 8000 Hz.) You would need an extended audiogram to test for this. Problems in this area are extremely common for tinnitus sufferers.

2) your outer hair cells are fine but you have "hidden hearing loss" aka cochlear synaptopathy.

While hearing damage isn't the only cause of tinnitus, it is the most common. I wouldn't say you have ruled out hearing loss completely if you just had a standard audiogram, especially.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    3. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      Your hearing may not be perfect, even if the tests claim it is. Synaptopathy is one condition that would not necessarily show on during a typical Pure Tone Audiometry test, but that can cause tinnitus.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Informative Informative x 1
    4. MRItechssuck
      Disappointed

MRItechssuck Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Severe 10/17/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise, MRI
      Was your audiogram all the way up to 12 kHz? Most hearing tests go up to 8 kHz.
      Many in this board have gotten tinnitus from rare side effects of different medications, some never find out why they got tinnitus.

How are you so sure the QC35 caused your tinnitus? A causal relationship versus coincidence?

• Agree Agree x 1
    5. Mister Muso
      No Mood

Mister Muso Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2011 / April 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      I've only became aware of my hidden hearing loss as my hyperacusis has eased off partially. From what I hear, you can still get tinnitus with no hearing loss or hyperacusis, but I could be wrong on the science there.

I'm going to ask for another hearing test and maybe then the ENTs will finally accept that I have a problem.

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jatin Gupta

Jatin Gupta Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Cancelling Headphones
      It was just after using the QC35 that I started hearing the ringing sound that never went away. Also I think that my audiogram was up to 8kHz and I will go for an extended audiogram this time.
      Thank you for your response.

7. JohnFox

JohnFox Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown. Sudden loss of 100% hearing R ear with Tinnitus
      If as you state, your Tinnitus came as result of using headphones, then it only stands to reason that your ears have suffered some trauma. It may not show in a regular hearing test, but never the less, you likely have some hearing loss.