Nocturnal Intense Tinnitus Woke Me from Sleep

Discussion in 'Support' started by Luman, Nov 3, 2017.

1. Luman
      Benevolent

Luman Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Intermittent Tinnitus probably noise induced
      I've woken up twice this week after sleeping for a few hours, with a highly intense, loud tinnitus, which seemed 10X worse than when I'm awake, and felt pain in my brain as well, which fortunately did not last very long. The first time was very scary, but it subsided and I managed to use a mindfulness relaxation technique to go back to sleep, but I didn't sleep very well. The second time, I told myself that it was fake, only a dream, then did the mindfulness exercise, and I went back to sleep a bit faster and slept OK.

It seems like a fine line between "awake" tinnitus, but far more hellish than I've experienced while awake, and a dream. Has anything like this happened to anybody else here?

• Hug Hug x 2
    2. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      If I were you, I would try taking a lot of valerian root pills (or drink tea made from dried valerian root [that you can buy]) to relax me, before sleep. Hopefully this will prevent tinnitus from revving up during the night...

• Like Like x 1
    3. fishbone
      Shitfaced

fishbone Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud noise and very bad sickness
      If you take anything, read about the dosages and how much you can take. Valerian can lose its effectiveness if taken regularly.

• Like Like x 2
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Luman
      Benevolent

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thanks. I have something with valarian root, called Deep Sleep. I have not used much, could not tell if it worked in the past, but may try it again.
      I've been taking 1 mg of melatonin, have upped it to two a night since the first loud nocturnal T incident.

• Like Like x 1
    5. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:

My experience was that it stopped happening once I reduced my overall anxiety levels, but obsessing about it just made it worse.

• Like Like x 1
    6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Luman
      Benevolent

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sorry it happened to you. At least I know that I am not the only person to experience it.

7. pathworker2017
      No Mood

pathworker2017 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2012 approx
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      currently unknown, conductive hearing loss suspected
      just don't believe the scare stories associated with Sp. basically what is happening is your body has got slightly out of sync and you wake up at the wrong time.

The reason why sleep paralysis evokes so many weird and often quite frightening experiences is that you don't have a clue whats going on, your limbic system( fight of flight mechanism) kicks in. you try to get away from the perceived source of danger, can't move. and so the spiral continues. once you understand what is actually going on it is less scary.

Tinnitus works on a similar principle, I think actually they are both linked which is probably why T is more a problem at night for many people. one of the common features of sleep paralysis is high pitched sound, This is because all unnecessary external stimuli are blocked, so, you brain decides to make this awful racket because the auditory system is getting no stimulation and your conscious( analytical) part of the brain is active.

Some time in the future you get this horrid noise in the night as you try to nod off to sleep. the brain makes the connection between the sound you are hearing, the environment and your sleep paralysis experiences and reactions and voila. one good night sleep (or two or three or however many) gets obliterated.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1