Noise in One London Restaurant Hit a Hazardous 110 dB

Discussion in 'Support' started by newarrior, Dec 11, 2015.

1. newarrior

newarrior Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concerts
      Here's a lively read that compares restaurants to rock concerts. Noise in one London restaurant hit a hazardous 110 dB.

"While everyone loves a friendly buzz and a vibrant atmosphere, too often it can tip over into the kind of brain-melting cacophony that leaves diners screaming across the table at each other."

"Look around the restaurants and chains on any High Street and you will be confronted with the kind of stripped-back, bare-bones modern design that amplifies noise to torturous levels. . . Noise bounces around the room, ringing off the hard surfaces, rebounding from the ceiling, making the people at the next table talk loudly, which means you have to talk even louder — and that's before the waitress cranks up the thumping bass beat music and rattles the cutlery drawer."

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...st-proves-restaurants-loud-rock-concerts.html

2. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Better take my noise reduction plugs with me as going London for a few days and hope see the New year fireworks too as staying near the London Eye....lots of love glynis

3. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      haha, that's crazy, that's the same volume as my motorcycle at full rev.

• Funny Funny x 1
    4. glynis
      Feminine

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      OMG....Better pack ear defenders and hide them under a Santa hat in the restaurants.....
      Seriously though that is loud.....lots of love glynis

5. Bart
      Wtf

Bart Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/06/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      I feel bad for the people that have to work there, it is bad enough if you just have diner for an hour or so but those people are exposed to that madness for hours on end, day after day, they probably do not realise it but the damage to there ears is slowly building up over the years to critical levels.

Sadly this seems to be the trend these days, I was in a shopping mall earlier and the Christmas songs where blaring out the speakers at uncomfortable levels, I was in and out of there rather quickly.

• Agree Agree x 2
    6. glynis
      Feminine

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Same at our staff meal today the music was way to loud and people talking over it so I went and turned it down a notch.....they all know I suffer badly with my ears and they were fine.....lots of love glynis

7. Telis

Telis Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      Man I miss it. Love the vibe of good music, people laughing, eating/drinking and having fun.

• Like Like x 1
    8. glynis
      Feminine

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      @Telis,
      You can still have all that and just keep your plugs handy.
      You should see me singing and dancing with my cordless Hoover every say......
      Life is worth living and I bet a good catch up with friends will be a laugh for you.....lots of love glynis

9. Zug
      Woot

Zug Member Benefactor

Just got back from a restaurant (not in London). One of those big, noisy tables started singing happy birthday, one guy actually had a bell in his hands and was banging on that thing during the whole singing. Couldn't believe some genius thought that would be funny... Guess we only pay attention to our hearing when something goes wrong.

• Hug Hug x 1
    10. Telis

Telis Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      Yeah I do my best, the problem is that when I put plugs in my voice becomes too loud (occlusion effect) and painful due to H plus the T goes to such levels that sitting with plugs in becomes an absolute nightmare, my head feels like it going to explode. I get absolutely nothing out of going out anymore. Believe me I try all this stuff, it's not like I enjoy sitting on my own :)

11. Stephen Hill
      Chatty

Stephen Hill Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      • Like Like x 1
    12. Lloyd Carter
      Wishful

Lloyd Carter Member

Tinnitus Since:
      August 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced Trauma
      If you read the article, the only restaurants that get as loud as a rock concert are for a very brief period due to coffee machines being on. It's pretty doubtful that anyone--T or no T--attending these restaurants is getting any kind of serious damage being there for an hour or two, as they're mostly hanging under 90db on average. The employees are another story. Yes, restaurants are loud, but it's the concerts, clubs, and bars that are doing the serious noise damage.

• Agree Agree x 1
    13. Lorac

Lorac Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sudden profound hearing loss in left ear.
      Just got home from dinner with my husband. The chef/owner is a friend and he made walleye the special tonight just because I love it. Hundreds of people had walleye for dinner there tonight because I love it! It was delicious and I am so completely satisfied and satiated right now, but I am also completely exhausted. There was a holiday party going on in the dining area so we had to sit in the bar section where a small band was performing. The room was so loud! We eat at this restaurant almost every Friday.I go for my husband and for our chef/friend, and for the delicious food. -I love the food, not the noise!