Noise-Induced Tinnitus After Listening to Music on Headphones and Speakers

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Harry1123, Nov 29, 2020.

1. Harry1123

Harry1123 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/22/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced trauma
      Hi!

A few months ago, I was getting mild tinnitus for a few hours after listening to headphones, so I went to ENT. He just haphazardly said, 'yeah, that happens'. And that's it. I stopped listening to headphones, and I thought I was safe.

But 6 days ago, I bought new speakers and listened to music a little too loud for 40 minutes. When I turned them off, I was disoriented. I realized I made the biggest mistake of my life.

It's been 6 days, and I think this is going to last years. When I wake up, I have heavy tinnitus. It subsides through the day, but even when I take a short nap, it comes right back. I feel hopeless.

I am considering ending it all. What's the point anyways. I just fought a huge depression of my life and I was just feeling 'happy'.

• Hug Hug x 2
    2. twa
      Busy

twa Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2017- mild /Sept. 2020-moderate
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      meds/acoustic trauma
      Hi,

I encourage you to read the success stories. Many, many people have gotten better in time. I myself had tinnitus for almost 3 years years at such a low level that I never read about tinnitus or went to a forum. It never spiked or changed levels whatsoever. It did not bother me at all. I'm confident it would have remained this way or eventually faded to nothing.

I recently had an acoustic trauma and I agree this is difficult. I walk and pray every day.

Do you have a friend or family member you can talk with? If you'd like to talk feel free to message me.

• Like Like x 2
    3. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      HI @Harry1123

I am going to give you some advice based on many years of experience, with noise induced tinnitus which is what you have. It is your choice but my advice is to stop using any type of headphones including noise cancelling, headset and earbuds. Don't even use them at low volume as you risk the tinnitus becoming worse.

Although it doesn't seem like it now, the tinnitus will improve with time providing you follow my suggestions above and those mentioned in my articles below. Use low level sound enrichment such as nature sounds and try to avoid quiet rooms especially at night - more about sound enrichment is explained in my posts. Keep away from overly loud music as this can irritate the tinnitus.

You are in the early stages of noise induced tinnitus and it will have a tendency to fluctuate a lot. It is not uncommon for people to feel anxious and stressed as you do. Therefore, talk to your GP/family doctor who may prescribe something to help you to relax. This can get you through this difficult period and after a while the tinnitus will usually not be so intrusive. Recovery takes time so be patient you'll get there.

Please take your time and read my articles in full without skimming. There is much to read so don't rush it. If possible print them and refer to the documents regularly. This will help to reinforce positive thinking which is very important, as negativity often surrounds a person with tinnitus especially in the first few weeks and months.

Take care things will get better.

Michael

PS: I suggest that you never use any type of headphones again even after the tinnitus improves which it will in time. You may be tempted to use headphones at low volume thinking that you're safe. Please be assured, nothing more could be further from the truth. Some people with noise induced tinnitus, use headphones without problems but the risk of it becoming worse is always there. Again, it is your choice but I strongly advise you to never ever use headphones, earbuds or headset even at low volumes.

• Like Like x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    4. Matchbox
      Wishful

Matchbox Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced, Prednisone (drones), Barotrauma (distortions)
      It can definitely fade in a few months... but your loud music days are over.

• Like Like x 1