Noise-Induced Tinnitus... How Does It Differ from Infection?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Allan1967, Mar 5, 2019.

1. Allan1967

Allan1967 Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      Hi all,

I got my tinnitus in 1997, through ear infection treated with gentamicin on a perforated eardrum. For 20 years my tinnitus has pretty much been a constant whine, that would vary in intensities and locations... ear, head, both ears and head at the same time.

Last October I suffered some noise damage I believe. Since then the variety of noises keeps chopping and changing. For example I still have my original 1997 noise, but what feels like in the bottom of my left ear is a tinkling sound and I've just noticed in my right ear is there's now something similar creeping up. I only had 2 hours sleep last night so I wonder if that has something to do with it.

But for those who have noise-induced tinnitus, do you experience fluctuations in the number and type of noises you get? I just can't understand why my tinnitus won't settle on a particular noise and stick with it now. Why does it keep introducing new little noise here and there, sudden burst of high pitched noise that then fades, beeping noises and then tinkling sounds like the innards of a clock moving around?

Is this normal for noise induced?

2. Tom Cnyc

Tom Cnyc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Warehouse event after years of enjoying music.
      I have noise induced tinnitus that changes every day. Hiss, hiss with mild tone, totally silent. My tone also changes octaves. It's either 2,350 Hz or 1,175 Hz. Occasionally it's 4,800 Hz. Oddly, its always 10 cents sharp of "D".

Don't read too much into it.

For me though - noise induced tinnitus faded a lot over time.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Allan1967

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      I've read a lot of people saying their noise induced T fades. Why does mine seem to be ramping up then?

Weeks ago I was getting prominent bells that faded to a tinkle, now this right ear is starting to play up.

The only connection I can think of is lack of quality sleep.

4. Arseny
      Wishful

Arseny Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Possibly from problems with blood flow
      Noise exposure mainly affects synapses (nerve connections) while in your case (ototoxicity) it mainly affects hair cells.

• Good Question Good Question x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    5. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      @Allan1967

The increase in your tinnitus which recently happened can take time to settle down. You need to be patient and try not to overly worry, as this can cause stress and make your symptoms worse. When my tinnitus increased in 2008, it took 4 years to Habituate again which included 2 years of TRT.

Michael

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Allan1967

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      What does that translate to @Arseny?

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Allan1967

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      It's been 5 months @Michael Leigh and there are days when I think it's just never going to settle down to anything semi steady.

8. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      I know how you feel Allan as I had 4 long years of distress. There were times when I thought I couldn't go on but somehow managed to keep it together. I suggest that you read all my posts again in the links that I have sent you, or go to my "started threads" as they are listed there. It is reinforcing positive thinking that will help you through the difficult times. If you are having treatment at ENT or with a Hearing Therapist keep on believing. When my resolve was at its lowest ebb, I found a glass of wine, brandy or lager after 6pm helped me immensely.

Michael

9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Allan1967

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      Thank you @Michael Leigh, you're a good soul.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    10. Sam Bridge

Sam Bridge Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music/gigs probably
      Noise induced - soft hiss noise. Can change to more of a jangly cricket nosie when stressed/tired.

11. Manex

Manex Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced 1995, Azithromycin 2018
      I got noise induced tinnitus in 1995. It took me two years to gather myself. When it first started it was the loudest and changed a lot. I don't know exactly when it settled down, it might have been the two year mark. By 11 years later someone asked about it and I said without thinking "it's not so bad anymore." Then a few months later it got hit again and increased and, again, it took a year or so to re-habituate. Last October I took Azithromycin and it was like having my ears fried - the craziest sounds. That didn't happen from the noise. The medical induced was incredibly variant and really affected the sound as well for 2 weeks at least. It left me with tinnitus that was four times worse than before. It still is varying and I've still not gotten used to it.

I think, like you, I'm going to be waiting another year or so before it settles and our brains start to "remove" it from our consciousness most of the time.

Just remember - tinnitus is in the brain, not the ears. They've removed people's cochleas and they still heard it. so it's something your brain can tune out.

• Hug Hug x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    12. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      If you don't mind me asking, what happened?

13. another sean
      Studious

another sean Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Long duration of low audio
      He played the piano.

14. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Allan1967

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      @another sean is right. Played an acoustic piano for about an hour, like an amateur, went to bed a couple of hours later - tinnitus felt quite intense that night, woke up and all hell broke loose. High pitched tinnitus higher and my left war making more weird noises. It's been pandemonium since.

• Hug Hug x 1
    15. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I am sorry that this had to happen to you...

When you played the piano, did it sound and feel relatively safe at the time, or did it feel a little too loud?

16. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Allan1967

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      Relatively safe Bill. I was wearing a musicians earplug in my right ear, but not my left as I had an issue with dry skin in my ear lobe at the time, but regardless, there was no discomfort, no fullness, no pain, nothing. On reflection I think my tinnitus felt more intense later in the night, but I wasn't perturbed by that as it's not uncommon for tinnitus to feel more intense at certain points of the day, especially night.

• Hug Hug x 1