Noise Reducing Earplugs

Discussion in 'Support' started by Michelle Hopkins, Feb 19, 2018.

1. Michelle Hopkins

Michelle Hopkins Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2004
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hi,

Just wondering if anyone can recommend good noise reducing earplugs? There's just so many out there I just don't know where to start! Or could recommend where to buy custom moulded earplugs?

Also I've seen somewhere on here about people buying Peltor Muffs to use whilst driving....ive checked on Amazon and as per usual there are loads to choose from....does anyone currently use these Muffs and would you recommend them? If so which type are the best?

Thank you
      Michelle

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    2. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Earplugs and other forms of hearing protection are good but be careful of overuse as this will make matters worse. Noise reducing earplugs from 18 decibels to 30db should be adequate. Alpine plugs are quite good and popular. As I said, be careful of overuse.

Michael

• Agree Agree x 2
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Michelle Hopkins

Michelle Hopkins Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2004
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Thanks @Mich

Last night was the 1st time had to use ear plugs when we went to my local.pub for dinner! I felt like it was too loud and not wanting to make the T worse I decided to wear them!

I also find myself pitting cotton wool in my ears when I feel like the T is really loud....will doing this make things worse down the line? I feel sometimes that im overthinking every little thing now since my T has spiked

4. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Stress, anxiety and negative thinking are the main factors that can make tinnitus and hyperacusis more intrusive. The overuse of hearing protection and the use of them, reinforces negative thinking that something is wrong with your auditory system. It can become a problem if not kept in check. Using earplugs in the pub was quite alright. Just be careful not to suppress normal everyday sounds and try not to worry. Try deep breathing relaxation exercises, 3 to 5 times a week for 30 mins. This can help lower stress. There are plenty videos on youtube that come with narration to walk you through the exercises.

Michael

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Michelle Hopkins

Michelle Hopkins Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2004
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      • Like Like x 1
    6. Jcb
      No Mood

Jcb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      possible TMJ, came on after severe cold and chest infection,
      Are normal foam ear plugs any good or should I try noise reducing plugs? I would like to go the pictures with my partner and then a meal but I’m terrified of the speakers in the cinema and the noise in the restaurant.

7. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      If you use "foam" earplugs then you will block out most of the sound at the cinema. Foam plugs are normally used when operating noisy equipment such as: electric drill, lawn mower or garden strimmer. Use noise reducing earplugs for going the cinema and other places of entertainment. Earplugs between 18 decibels & 30db should be okay. You still need to be aware of loud sounds. For instance, if you go out to a club or concert, don't stand next to a large speaker all night or front of the stage at a gig... Have a nice time but beware of loud sounds.

Michael

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    8. Jcb
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thank you Micheal, I’ve been looking for some good noise reducing ear plugs and will order them tonight.
      Thanks for the information.

9. Jcb
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I ordered some alpine party plugs, they were £10.99 which was way cheaper than I thought. Just thought I’d share what type I got.

• Like Like x 1
    10. Gman
      No Mood

Gman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ototoxic earwax drops, worsened by MDs (Muppet Doctors)
      Alpines are good in that they allow you to hear quite well, but I find they have an annoying occlusion effect. I can’t stand walking with them in. Also dont shout when wearing them.

Over ears are somewhat better but are not very discreet and there are risks of whacking them into things which is horrible.

Custom made musicians ear plugs minimise the occlusion effect but they are expensive. No option is perfect.

• Like Like x 2
    11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Michelle Hopkins

Michelle Hopkins Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2004
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Thanks @Gman & @Jcb!

I've ordered some Alpine Plugs and Peltor Muffs of Amazon....fingers crossed they do the job intended.

Michelle

• Agree Agree x 1
    12. Deanmcg

Deanmcg Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure
      Best ones is moulded ear plugs and you can choose your filter definitely worth the money!

This is the best company
      https://www.acscustom.com/uk/

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    13. Jcb
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Just an update, went for a meal yesterday and used the alpine plugs.
      They were comfy and did block out quite a bit of the “annoying” noises, I still felt anxious but overall I’m glad I did it. The only thing I found annoying is my voice seemed very tinny as I was talking which was annoying.

14. Julien87
      Not amused

Julien87 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure (concert)
      As said earlier, the Alpine plugs are good.

I personally like the eardial ones more though. I find them easier to plug in and they are very low profile (also, they come in a very small aluminum case that you can attach to your keys). They do not have an NRR as high as the Alpine ones though, so don't rely on them for very loud places such as concerts or nightclubs (I doubt you'd go there, but just in case..). But for bars and loud restaurants, they do a great job.

PS : you can see the eardial ones and the alpine ones in the same picture for comparison matters on my post there: https://www.tinnitustalk.com/thread...-use-and-where-to-get-them.23171/#post-266774 (eardials at the very right)

• Like Like x 1
    15. Jcb
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I’m going to look at the eardial ones and invest in some peltir muffs as well, wish I could go to a club or concert but highly doubtful I would take the chance as I’m not 100% what caused my T.

Thanks for the info Julian

• Like Like x 1
    16. Gman
      No Mood

Gman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ototoxic earwax drops, worsened by MDs (Muppet Doctors)
      They look pretty decent. Alpines stick out a bit so you get some looks (who cares though). The app seems quite handy if it’s reasonably accurate.
      Is the occlusion effect about the same as the alpines?

17. Julien87
      Not amused

Julien87 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure (concert)
      I do not notice much difference when it comes to occlusion effect

18. Tex

Tex Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Exposure
      I think driving with any kind of plugs or muffs could be dangerous. Missing a horn honk could get you run over.

Like some others said, you can over do it with plugs or muffs. I don't like to use anything unless necessary. It just traps the T and makes it worse. All of a sudden T is ALL I HEAR!! I capped that because plugs or muffs make my T LOUDER! Road noise is a perfect distraction for T. Crack a window and get a little breeze noise.

I gave up noisy entertainment. I won't go to a restaurant that has loud live entertainment. I won't go to a movie theater. I can watch a movie at home where I control the volume.

For me personally, hearing protection is for short term exposure to noise, like mowing the yard, etc. With a mower running, and with plugs, I don't hear the T---and my ears are protected.

I carry these 3M plugs around like pocket change for brief noise exposure. They are name brand, but inexpensive and comfortable. Some brands of plugs give my ear canal a dull pain if too tight. These seem to fit well for me. I bought mine at Lowes before they quit carrying them. With a search I just discovered they can be bought at Wal-Mart. I'm sure they can be ordered elsewhere.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/3M-Reusable-Ear-Plugs-1-pair-pack/15689176

19. Pero1234

Pero1234 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      home theatre system + high pressure washer
      @Michael Leigh

So my classic foam plugs were the right choice for high pressure cleaning?

I had a feeling my T spiked afterwards, but I hope it’s because of me stressing about using the wrong type of earplugs... for not using my Alpine Party plugs...

20. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      @Pero1234

It reads on your Avatar that you have had tinnitus for just two months? You are in the very early stages of tinnitus and if you have hyperacusis, the tinnitus will fluctuate a lot. Please read my posts in the links below. At this stage I don't think the spike in your tinnitus was a result of using the wrong type of earplugs.

All the best
      Michael

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/new-to-tinnitus-what-to-do.12558/

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/tinnitus-a-personal-view.18668/

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/hyperacusis-as-i-see-it.19174/

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/is-positivity-important.23150/

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/tinnitus-and-the-negative-mindset.23705/

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/acquiring-a-positive-mindset.23969/